U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 45,072 times

Advertisements

Possibly some can get Lipitor for $4, but with my Anthem Insurance, my cost through CVS is now a $51 ripoff.

This scheme is so tricked up, it boggles the mind. According to my CVS pharmacy, when the patent expired and the $4 co-pay started, Pfizer DOUBLED the price of Lipitor.

So here's the trick. They say they are giving you $50 off, but it is apparently $50 off of the new doubled price. With Anthem, my copay is now more than $51, so I and others with Anthem (and likely lots of other insurers) now have to PAY MORE than we ever paid in the past. Ironically, I can still get Crestor for $25 with their loyalty card, so you can guess what I will do!

It sure seems that Pfizer thinks consumers have no choices, are stupid, and won't be able to figure this out. Wrong!

To add insult to injury Pfizer has apparently bought off many pharmacy chains requiring them to not sell generic Lipitor, in trade for perks or rebates they will receive - according to a lawsuit recently filed by a pharmacy which did not agree to Pfizer's terms. The source for this is Courthouse News Courthouse News Service

The lawsuit states that Pfizer is effectively trying to extend the patent of Lipitor by forcing the generics out of the market in the US - so that if you want Lipitor or generic Lipitor you will have no choice, at least in the near term

I'm no lawyer but this sure stinks to high heaven. I would be surprised if the FTC does not get involved as this sure seems as if it may be illegal, and as if it may be an unlawful restraint of free trade.

Greed is not good - no matter what the movies say. Pigs get fat, but Hogs get slaughtered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:10 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
I'd go to a pharmacy that doesn't know you have insurance and fill it there...

Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 PM

I tried that at Rite Aid and they said a 30 day supply with this seemingly phony $4 co=pay card, and no insurance, the monthly cost would be about $150.

My Lipitor $4 co=pay card is real. Real worthless.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,219,530 times
Pfizer has been scamming us for years so why should this come as a shock to anybody?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,607,117 times
My husband gets his generic Lipitor at Kroger Pharmacy. Are they in your area?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 PM

We have Kroger but they quoted $175 for the branded. CVS ended up quoting $41 for the generic, and that's after my Anthem Insurance.

I decided that I would rather pay more for any statin than to have Pfizer dupe me into getting a $4 card, and then have them try to stick me for $51.

So I got my doctor to switch me back to Crestor and I used their newest co-pay card, and sure enough, I was able to have it filled for $18.

I believe Pfizer's monopolistic efforts will backfire on them. As a matter of principle I would now not buy a Pfizer made drug, if it was the last drug on earth.

I refuse to deal with a company that I believe is dishonorable.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

630 posts, read 628,447 times
I get the generic at Wallgreens for $10 on my BCBS

Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 14,419 times
I got this $4 copay card as well. The name brand would now cost me $97 for the name brand and not $4 as the card will mislead you. It seems that Lipitor will only pay up to $75 and therefore with my BC/BS, the cost of this name brand drug is $172 for a 30 day supply. UNREAL! I knew it was a rip when I was getting the name brand before ($80 copay for 90 days plus what BC/BS paid). Now that Pfizer has lost their patent, they are counting on these insurance companies and the patients to fork over even more though decpetive marketing! Since it is spelled out in the pamplet that was sent with the card, the lawyers have one their duty and have protected these money hungry drug companies. All I can say to Pfizer is to find the next best drug and stop trying to extend your patent. The patent timeframe was there for you to recover the costs of reearch and make your well deserved profit. That has been done so let it go! I will be filling with the generic in the future! If I can avoid using Pfizer drugs I will!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:43 AM

21,481 posts, read 26,078,274 times
T1doyou, you are blaming Pfizer when the issue is your insurance plan and the price the pharmacy charges. There is absolutely nothing deceptive about the coupon plan. BCBS is making you pay more, not Pfizer. Why is your copay $172 per month now? Pfizer has nothing to do with that.

Here is the info on the program:

lipitor $4 program - Yahoo! Search Results=

Essentially, Pfizer is offerig up to $75 off. That means if your copay is up to $79 for a 30 day supply, you should pay $4. If your copay is more than $79, you subtract $75 from that.

"To qualify for this offer, your out-of-pocket expense must be greater than $4 per prescription. If your out-of-pocket expenses for a 1-month supply (30 tablets) are $79 or less, you will pay $4 for a 1-month supply. If your out-of-pocket expenses for a 1-month supply (30 tablets) exceed $79, you qualify for up to $75 in savings for a 1-month supply. In either case, you can only qualify for up to $1,000 of savings per calendar year. After maximum of $1,000, you will pay usual monthly out-of-pocket costs."

Lipitor goes genericóbut still no bargain

Everyone, if Lipitor or its generic are too expensive, ask your doctor about a different generic statin. I pay $10 for three months of simvastatin.

The Lipitor discount ends in December if it is not renewed.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,573,502 times
People still pay for Lipotor?

Live near a Wegman's?

It's completely free:

Effective Sunday, August 26 Through April 27: Prescriptions for Generic Lipitor - Atorvastatin - Are Free of Charge at Wegmans *| Wegmans

Yet another reason why I love Wegman's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness