U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,625,544 times

Advertisements

Need to know more details.
Family history of heart problems?
Any pre-existing conditions?
Suffer any particularly stressful or sad situations lately?
Can the pain be felt anywhere else, like your arms, neck, shoulders, or lower back?
Scale of one to ten- how bad is the pain?
Are you on any medications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've had this feeling also, but each time it lasted much longer than your short bout. Twice it was pleurisy as someone mentioned above. The other times it was pericarditis. All cases were very painful. One of the pericarditis episodes was so bad my ekg reading was all messed up, and I had enzymes in my blood that apparently suggest heart damage and possible heart attack, if I remember what they told me correctly. I was 30 years old. They did a cath lab and kept me overnight after confirming it was not a heart attack. Nevertheless it scared the crap out of me.

I have a coworker who's wife had a severe stroke at 34. Look, it could be one of any number of different issues, and you do not want to wait! It may be something benign, it may be something serious. Like the others above me have said, go see a doctor asap.
The other responses were great, but I especially like this because of the similarity in age.

I'd say to call the doc for an appt if you have one, but if it happens again just call 911 for an ambulance. It's no biggie, lots of people use the ER for less dangerous symptoms than this - it's where many illegals and homeless go for primary care. I think the standard is to wait about 5-10 minutes to see if it subsides then call - but a nurse or paramedic could correct me on that, if there's one here. Also roll around - if the pain is steady in all body positions, that could mean a heart problem. If the pain level changes in different positions, it may not be as serious.

You might think, "well an ER visit costs about a bazillion dollars" if you don't have health insurance, but they will let you pay it off a little at a time, once I had to do that and they let me pay $20 per month. I'm sure I didn't pay it all off, but there aren't any debtor's prisons nowadays.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
I hope the OP saught medical help, this is not something to fool around with.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM

14,810 posts, read 13,560,227 times
Since this is a recurrent problem for you, you are foolish not to try and get to the bottom of it. See your doctor.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,666,757 times
Hospitlas and doctors will work with patients if money is an issue when it come to their health. They set up a payment plan. I'd rather try and figure out how to pay for the visit or ask someone for a loan if they had the money to lend it, but that's me. My life and health is everything to me. It's amazing to hear how so many people do not have coverage or cannot afford to get it. Thankfully I am not in that boat yet.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM

499 posts, read 899,329 times
I didn't go to the doctor, but I will if it happens again. I think it was an anxiety attack, from talking to a few people I know in the medical field.

I just spent $625 on an ultrasound of my liver/gallbladder area because I was having pain there (for quite some time, over a year), only for them to tell me they found nothing, so I must be fine. I've had blood tests done three times in the last three months to find out the cause of my fatigue...and "looks fine to me!"

I'm tired of shelling out hundreds of dollars for doctors to tell me I'm FINE, when I'm obviously not. I've pretty much given up on doctors actually diagnosing anything these days.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times
Anxiety attacks rarely last more than 20 minutes, and don't usually produce much pain (in my case, they were more about shortness of breath and a rapidly pounding heart).

Strong chest pain isn't gallstones or fatigue, it may be something far worse.

Thinking that doctors can't diagnose you is likely to weed you out from the human gene pool in a Darwinian way. Negative results are results all the same, often they have to do several before coming up with a hit. However they ARE pretty good at diagnosing heart problems quickly in an ER.

I urge you to get some sort of health insurance, there's Medicaid for the very poor, private insurance for those with a good income, and I think federal or state programs for the people in between. There's no sense in being afraid to go to a doctor or the ER because of the expense.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
I don't blame you for wanting to be done with the docs but i'd end the relationship with them after you get your heart checked out.
It seems really silly not do when, if it's serious, unlike other conditions you've been tested for, it could be quickly fatal.
Why not one more series of tests? and then, if there's nothing wrong, say good bye to the medical establishment and go alternative.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM

499 posts, read 899,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I urge you to get some sort of health insurance, there's Medicaid for the very poor, private insurance for those with a good income, and I think federal or state programs for the people in between. There's no sense in being afraid to go to a doctor or the ER because of the expense.
This IS with health insurance

I just got billed for ONE set of those blood tests and office visit, after insurance paid it's portion, and it's $900.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM

699 posts, read 1,795,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Anxiety attacks rarely last more than 20 minutes,
that might be true for you. but some of my worst ones have lasted well over an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or