U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM

499 posts, read 899,329 times

Advertisements

I woke up in the middle of the night last night in such pain that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. It felt like there was a giant hand around my heart, squeezing it. This lasted for about an hour. It's not heartburn or indigestion, I've had those lots, and they originate in the center area, not all the way over to the left, and feel more like burning and fullness than squeezing.

This is the second time this has happened to me, and now I'm starting to get worried. I'm a 33 year old female, not some older man that should have to worry about heart attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM

77 posts, read 104,659 times
Have you seen a doctor?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM

699 posts, read 1,795,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
It felt like there was a giant hand around my heart, squeezing it. This lasted for about an hour. It's not heartburn or indigestion, I've had those lots, and they originate in the center area, not all the way over to the left, and feel more like burning and fullness than squeezing.
if it is centered, as you say, it could be your cardiac sphincter of your esophogas in spasm. the cardiac sphincter is to keep food in the stomach.

when you are stressed, it can go into spasm, and it feels like
1. someone is squeezing it
2. a rock in your chest.
or
3. waves of pain

btdt

Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,492,816 times
Sorry but this is for medical professionals, go to the doctor or E.R. right away. It may be nothing serious, but you never know.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Women younger than you have had heart attacks. While probably what others have suggested, you need to get it checked out NOW.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,119,501 times
I'd go get it checked out. I had pleurisy once and the pain had this then 20-something yr old thinking it was heart related, but alas it was not.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I woke up in the middle of the night last night in such pain that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. It felt like there was a giant hand around my heart, squeezing it. This lasted for about an hour. It's not heartburn or indigestion, I've had those lots, and they originate in the center area, not all the way over to the left, and feel more like burning and fullness than squeezing.

This is the second time this has happened to me, and now I'm starting to get worried. I'm a 33 year old female, not some older man that should have to worry about heart attacks.
There are two ways to stop worrying about this.
#1. Call the doctor at once, explain what happened and get an appointment pronto.

#2. Do nothing. If it is a heart attack, you won't be worrying for long.

True story: Gentleman of my acquaintance spent the entire night with "indigestion". Took Maalox. Took bicarb. Ate Tums. By morning, he insisted he was going to be fine. His daughter prevailed upon him to go to the ER. Less than an hour later, he was in the cath lab. By early afternoon, he was in surgery for a triple by-pass. His doctor told him that further delay could have been fatal.

Now, will you call the doctor?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

410 posts, read 623,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Women younger than you have had heart attacks. While probably what others have suggested, you need to get it checked out NOW.
Two years ago my mother had a heart attack at the beginning of March. At the end of March my 33 year old sister had a stroke. These things happen at all ages and should be taken seriously. Please see a doctor as soon as possible. Don't take the risk.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
Yeah, i'm not one who advices people to run to the m.d. for every little thing but i'd have that checked out asap.
Don't worry but don't wait and don't procrastinate.
If it's not serious you'll know and will be able to relax about it.
If it is serious you'll get the proper treatment which may just save your life.
I know nothing about serious heart conditions but i do know that it's not a good idea to take this lightly.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,361,414 times
I've had this feeling also, but each time it lasted much longer than your short bout. Twice it was pleurisy as someone mentioned above. The other times it was pericarditis. All cases were very painful. One of the pericarditis episodes was so bad my ekg reading was all messed up, and I had enzymes in my blood that apparently suggest heart damage and possible heart attack, if I remember what they told me correctly. I was 30 years old. They did a cath lab and kept me overnight after confirming it was not a heart attack. Nevertheless it scared the crap out of me.

I have a coworker who's wife had a severe stroke at 34. Look, it could be one of any number of different issues, and you do not want to wait! It may be something benign, it may be something serious. Like the others above me have said, go see a doctor asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or