U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,672,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I do understand, Lubby. And, cheers for the good wishes for my mate. I'm a big believer in good thoughts & wishes pushing positive energy forward, so I return them to you. It was quite nice... I saw her face lighten immediately from relief after speaking with family. As adults, we all dislike having to ask for help. I told her it was simply 'floating'... they're floating her 'til she's on her feet & then she can pay them back in due time.

We're prepared to offer her the sofa if she needs, so I didn't want to offer to help pay meds/premiums. I've seen $ ruin far too many situations between friends, so I'd prefer that's a last resort. I'd rather offer moral support, a place to sleep & a warm meal if/when she needs. She may not take us up on it often, but it's a genuine offer (I've got a great, generous boyfriend... I'm very lucky)... & as they say, the shoe could be on the other foot, yeah?

Glad your husband's coverage is so good. It's a huge relief, isn't it? Best luck to you, as well.
Thanks and god bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
I am surprised that the drug store did not call her to find out if she wanted the medication when it cost that much.

Many people would be unable to afford it, and most pharmacists would call to confirm before doing the compounding.

Pat, you are an amazing friend!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am surprised that the drug store did not call her to find out if she wanted the medication when it cost that much.

Many people would be unable to afford it, and most pharmacists would call to confirm before doing the compounding.
Hiya Suzy, nice to see you! Happy New Year!

You know, she's in such a state right now, she actually admitted her dr may have told her she might need to pay for it (as insurance might not cover it) AFTER she called in the prescription, but she can't recall. She also was caught off-guard as she thought her deductible carried over since she only secured her insurance last summer. In fact, the same just happened to me... purchased my own insurance policy in Sept before surgery & thought I was all set 'til this coming Sept... wrong! Didn't read the small print & I'm not as familiar with US insurance. I'm not in the same financial dire straights so it's okay, but I truly wasn't prepared to pay another $3K + my monthly premiums, particularly as I'm moving back to CA in 10-wks. Ouch...

Quote:
Pat, you are an amazing friend!
You're very kind to say, thank you. Sometimes when our wheels are spinning, we just need someone to do something very simple for us. All I did was make a phone call, then gently suggest she call family... can't hurt & all they can say is 'no' at the very worst. Very simple, but I've been there before on more than one occasion & it's not easy when you feel the rug's been pulled out from under you, particulary when alone. She's a dear girl, so it's even harder to see her stressed.

And, you've been very helpful in chats to me, as well, my friend. Cheers for that, Suzy!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM

951 posts, read 873,581 times
Pan,
what a lovely person and good friend you seem to be!! We could all benefit from someone like you in our lives. As for insurance...yikes! For many of us it's an absolute nightmare here in USA (love my country--no place I'd rather be, BTW, but huge stressor for me) i had to buy individual health insurance myself, since I'm 60 and not eligible for medicare yet and due to many reasons the premium I was quoted was raised to $960 per month...high deductible, no reg dr visits covered....basically I'm paying for catastrophic coverage...so I can empathize with your friend.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM

21,485 posts, read 26,089,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hiya Suzy, nice to see you! Happy New Year!

You know, she's in such a state right now, she actually admitted her dr may have told her she might need to pay for it (as insurance might not cover it) AFTER she called in the prescription, but she can't recall. She also was caught off-guard as she thought her deductible carried over since she only secured her insurance last summer. In fact, the same just happened to me... purchased my own insurance policy in Sept before surgery & thought I was all set 'til this coming Sept... wrong! Didn't read the small print & I'm not as familiar with US insurance. I'm not in the same financial dire straights so it's okay, but I truly wasn't prepared to pay another $3K + my monthly premiums, particularly as I'm moving back to CA in 10-wks. Ouch...

You're very kind to say, thank you. Sometimes when our wheels are spinning, we just need someone to do something very simple for us. All I did was make a phone call, then gently suggest she call family... can't hurt & all they can say is 'no' at the very worst. Very simple, but I've been there before on more than one occasion & it's not easy when you feel the rug's been pulled out from under you, particulary when alone. She's a dear girl, so it's even harder to see her stressed.

And, you've been very helpful in chats to me, as well, my friend. Cheers for that, Suzy!
Thanks for your kind remarks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness