U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 PM

297 posts, read 589,494 times

Advertisements

Some places put headsets on you with music playing, trust me, I couldn't hear the music with the banging of the MRI. Machine.

What helped me was having them blow cold air inside the tube. I also closed my eyes before they wheeled me in, because I am claustophobic. Then I kept visualizing being at the ocean and I kept singing to myself songs that made me feel good and that I knew the lyrics to. I had to spend 40 min inside it. Trust me, I understand what you are feeling, but you can ask in between scans to have them wheel you out.

They also have eyeglasses that let you look out of the tube even though you are looking straight up. They are cool. Ask if they have them and give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
They routinely give anti anxiety meds for things like that. I've had them, my husband too. It's just for that one time, they're not giving you a big prescription. Ask the Dr why he refuses to give you
something it seems like you would benefit from......

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,981,727 times
Dont go with medications for fear of anything. They only dull your senses and slow your brain. Give EFT a try as it is a quick couple of minutes and often works almost miraculously. Google it (and it is not electronic funds transfer!) It's free to do yourself and the manual is free too.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times
Does it help to keep your eyes closed? I find that with phobias, the fear of being afraid is worse than the fear when you're stuck doing the thing you are afraid of. I can't imagine why a doctor would refuse an anti anxiety med. My oncologist regularly prescribes 1 or 2 anxiety or pain pills for specific procedures - it's funny filling that script! You are dealing with enough medically, there's no need to put your body under more stress because of a silly CAT scan. If your primary care doctor won't give you an anxiety pill, is there another doctor you can go to?

I don't have that phobia but have been in more tubes for CAT and PET scans and MRIs in the past year than I'd like to count - with the added fun of scanxiety. During my last MRI, I beatboxed along to the sounds - kept the tech amused and kept my mind off of what was happening. For CAT and PET scans, I have the nicest tech (I see the same one every time as part of my managed care) and he laid out before I walked in all the options for me - talking through the entire procedure (he suggested politics and informed me that he was "really good at playing devil's advocate" which helps pass the time), telling you when you were halfway done, not talking at all, etc. The techs see it all, so do not be afraid of letting them know that you are afraid! There's nothing to be ashamed of!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 PM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Isn't the CT scan that little donut type scanner? Not sure why that would be anxiety producing (I can understand an MRI when it's that long tube). Someone please correct me if I have a wrong impression.
You don't have the wrong impression. There is nothing 'enclosing' or tube-like about a ct scan machine.

I don't get it, either.

The MRI I can see...it is very confining.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You don't have the wrong impression. There is nothing 'enclosing' or tube-like about a ct scan machine.

I don't get it, either.

The MRI I can see...it is very confining.
I think our op has the CT machine mixed up with the MRI machine..

Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 AM

42,204 posts, read 49,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think our op has the CT machine mixed up with the MRI machine..
And yet he/she mentions both...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And yet he/she mentions both...
This is the op and I most definately know the difference btwn a ct and a mri . Both scare the bee jesus outta me and I dont think I will ever be able to do either again without a drug for anxiety . I do believe that the first person whoever gave me the test scared me for life for those things .

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,440,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I wouldn't worry about it at all, phonelady. I mean, I wouldn't worry about your phobia. It's a common phobia and nursing staff SHOULD be very well versed in it. If they're not, then they're lousy nurses.

Some time before the day of your appointment, call the doctor's office and inform them that you need mild sedation for the cat scan. Don't ask them, don't seek their advice, don't request suggestions for relaxation techniques. TELL THEM - INFORM THEM..simply, clearly, and politely, that you require mild sedation. Tell them you can either pick it up the day before, at their office if they are licensed to dispense it, or you can pick it up at the pharmacy. Ask if they'd like the pharmacy phone number. They may ask you which form of medication you need; if you have a preference, tell them what it is. If you don't, xanax or valium are both effective (unless you're SouthernBellInUtah ).

It should be as simple as that.

Oof, I can tell you that is not going to go over well. I work in a doctor's office and I know the doctors and nurses here would not put up with that sort of demand for medication. You'll just **** them off and they'll be less cooperative.

Better to be polite, say that you were unable to go through with past procedures because of severe anxiety and that you've heard mild sedation is a possibility. If they try to push some other technique, just keep saying you don't think you'll be able to go through with it. If they keep on, ask for a referral to another facility that can perform the test. They'll either give in or you'll find a place that will.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,981,727 times
Quote:
Oof, I can tell you that is not going to go over well. I work in a doctor's office and I know the doctors and nurses here would not put up with that sort of demand for medication. You'll just **** them off and they'll be less cooperative.
I agree that we should always be polite to everyone.

However, doctors really need to realise that they do not have control of our bodies and that they are not gods. I wont go on, 'cos it gets me on my soap box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness