U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM

3,653 posts, read 7,278,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm shocked at my recent numbers. Why? I'm physically fit, 5' 9", 138lbs so I'm not overweight, and I eat super healthy--NO red meat. I don't eat fast food or junk food. I am being treated for Hashimoto's (thyroid disease) but I'm not sure there's enough research on how to change the impact the meds (Levoxyl) have on bones and cholesterol. I've always had doctors tell me that the meds can impact my cholesterol but these are my very first high levels ever.

Here's my numbers:

Total: 152
Triglycerides: 220 (0 - 149) ** high
HDL: 73 (> 39)
LDL: 35 (0 - 99)
VLDL: 44 (5 - 40) ** high

I'm shocked as heck about my triglyceride level and I'm looking up what the heck VLDL is as I've never heard of this before.

My weaknesses are cookies--I make homemade ones with butter about 3 to 4x a week. No more. I drink red wine maybe 1 to 2 x a week only.

I started using coconut oil in my body creme for dry skin. Could my body be absorbing so much that it impacted my trig. level? I also occasionally would eat a teaspoon of the oil, again, for dry skin. I know it's a palm oil, but it's not heat processed and is supposed to aid in dry skin as well as be heart healthy. That idea seems to be out the window now.

Any ideas here about my levels and how to lower them?? Thanks for any input.
This is mine, I am seeing a dietician today, hope I can get these down.
CHOLESTEROL:250 (0 - 199mg/dl) TRIGLYCERIDE:110 (0 - 149mg/dl) HDL:57 (>40 - mg/dl) LDL: CALC.171 (0 - 129)
Actually only two of them are bad, but the Dr. said, the good is very good and my bad is very bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM

106 posts, read 236,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
I hate to say it but I think the pharmaceutical industry has set up these numbers so that every Tom, Dick and Harry ends up with high cholesterol so they can be prescribed high cholesterol drugs! I'd love to know what the "right" cholesterol numbers were 20 or so years ago versus what they are today. So many healthy people are testing high for cholesterol. It doesn't make sense. The numbers should be reworked
i'm not sure that "the pharmaceutical industry has set up these numbers" but this part right here is very intelligent thinking. "So many healthy people are testing high for cholesterol. It doesn't make sense. The numbers should be reworked".

i do think the pharmaceutical industry is doing far more harm than good. that's FAR MORE just for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I didn't say fat in food does not increase cholesterol, but that it will not just cause excessive cholesterol on its own.

Lots of people with fairly high fat diets can sustain low cholesterol levels (without medication) due to a whole number of factors. Genetics is obviously one of them. Even in people like me (I'm one of these people) my cholesterol will obviously rise temporarily if I eat more fat, that is normal.

However a lot of the studies I've seen suggest excessive cholesterol amounts are found in people who who don't even eat much fat at all and is largely contributed to by the liver producing excessive cholesterol. On the other hand heart attacks are not well correlated with cholesterol levels, in fact most people who suffer them have "normal" or in fact so called "good" levels.

Most*heart attack patients' cholesterol levels did not indicate cardiac risk / UCLA Newsroom

High cholesterol in the blood does not just mean loads of plaque is going to choke up your arteries, and low cholesterol does not mean you have less chance of heart disease or fatty plaques in your arteries, by all accounts. I know people will balk at this because they have been fed lies about the "dangers of cholesterol" and high fat diets (actually westerners diets have fairly low fat as a percentage of calorie intake, it is predominately carbs) and taught the same rubbish that higher blood cholesterol = more fatty plaques in arteries = heart disease = heart attacks. This garbage is largely based on outdated and distorted 1960's "research" by Ancel Keys.

Some kind of inflammatory process has to happen in the blood chemistry which causes fats floating in the blood (as cholesterol does) to form fatty plaques and stick to the artery walls. Without that inflammatory process happening the cholesterol level alone means very little. People without this inflammatory process causing arteriosclerosis can have a high cholesterol level harmlessly floating around the blood and be perfectly healthy. On the other hand someone with consistently "below average" cholesterol can have severe arteriosclerosis, if there is this inflammatory process resulting in blood fats sticking in the arteries over time. From many more recent studies it appears elevated blood glucose is strongly linked to this process. However exactly what this inflammatory process is, isn't fully known to medical science yet. If it was, it would be "problem solved".

Plenty of studies back this up, like this one:

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/6/397.full

"Cholesterol does not predict degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy"

"Cholesterol does not correlate with degree of coronary atherosclerosis on angiography"

"Cholesterol does not correlate with degree of coronary calcification"

"Cholesterol does not correlate with degree of peripheral atherosclerosis"
bravo Weatherfan2. bravo. brilliant post.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 111 times
I also believe, rubbing coconut oil onto skin might be a factor. It is the same case with me, I don't eat anything which can drastically increase saturated fat and triglycerides. But I use organic virgin coconut oil as my moisturizing cream. Weird!!

Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 AM

19,025 posts, read 6,244,544 times
Many many trust this information:

The Cholesterol Myths - Uffe Ravnskov

Old 11-07-2018, 12:12 PM

21,576 posts, read 26,222,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many many trust this information:

The Cholesterol Myths - Uffe Ravnskov
Trust him at your peril.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the...erol-skeptics/

Old 11-07-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
He is not the only one with this information...it's all over the universe. It's pharma that keeps people in fear and keeps their damaging drugs moving, and could be the lower the cholesterol levels the more memory issues showing up.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-07-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
He is not the only one with this information...it's all over the universe. It's pharma that keeps people in fear.
The bulk of the evidence contradicts the cholesterol skeptics. Plenty of links to that evidence in the link I posted.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The bulk of the evidence contradicts the cholesterol skeptics. Plenty of links to that evidence in the link I posted.
There is a posting about the upcoming epidemic of dementia, can't help but think so much due to all the lowering cholesterol drugs in our society today. I'm looking for that posting but can't find it, thought it was here and how "they" know an epidemic is coming..ummm

Oh I found the "epidemic" link in the Retirement forum.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-07-2018 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
There is a posting about the upcoming epidemic of dementia, can't help but think so much due to all the lowering cholesterol drugs in our society today. I'm looking for that posting but can't find it, thought it was here and how "they" know an epidemic is coming..ummm

Oh I found the "epidemic" link in the Retirement forum.
The prevalence of dementia will rise because more people are living long enough for it to develop. No mystery about it.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:03 PM

41,180 posts, read 32,863,519 times
I haven't read all the responses so I may be repeating someone else, but I wanted to point out that sometimes high triglycerides are hereditary or genetic, and therefore are going to be a constant battle, often a losing one, to lower. My husband is one of those people with this issue, and no matter how healthy he eats, and how much krill oil he downs, his triglyceride levels are always high.

Personally I would focus on raising your good HDL/bad HDL ratio - more good HDL - adjust your diet to cut out foods known to raise triglycerides, and then don't worry about it. Get this - there is no clear cut study that shows that high triglycerides are definitely even a problem. I mean, I think they are to a degree, but not necessarily something to freak out about if you are eating well and are otherwise healthy.
https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...need-to-know#1
https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...-triglycerides
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness