U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 PM

13,493 posts, read 7,200,598 times

Advertisements

OP - you said you were in good shape but I didn't see any specifics. The effects of exercise can be quite significant - even walking at a good pace 30 minutes a day could really help your HDL such that your overall ratio is better. Not sure if exercise also impacts triglycerides but since yours are high you should check it out - can't hurt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 PM

3,523 posts, read 954,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The prevalence of dementia will rise because more people are living long enough for it to develop. No mystery about it.
You always say that. You have no way of knowing if that's true. You just can't accept that drugs might be a factor.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:59 PM

The OP said she has a thyroid problem, which is known to cause high cholesterol.

And by the way, it seems like an awful lot of middle-aged or older women are having thyroid problems.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The bulk of the evidence contradicts the cholesterol skeptics. Plenty of links to that evidence in the link I posted.
No it doesn't. You only look at the evidence you like.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 PM

21,576 posts, read 26,222,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You always say that. You have no way of knowing if that's true. You just can't accept that drugs might be a factor.
The math is here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5624986/

"The results shown here suggest that a large fraction of current and near-future elderly—and a fraction perhaps 50 % higher than that implied by the Framingham cohorts—will develop dementia in their remaining lifetimes. Furthermore, as old-age mortality declines, remaining lifetime risks of dementia increase substantially across birth cohorts."

Quote:
The OP said she has a thyroid problem, which is known to cause high cholesterol.

And by the way, it seems like an awful lot of middle-aged or older women are having thyroid problems.

She says her TSH is in the hyperthyroid, range. It is hypothyroidism which is associated with elevated cholesterol.

Yes, thyroid problems are common.

Quote:
No it doesn't. You only look at the evidence you like.
You did not read the link, did you?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ubmed_RVDocSum

Old Today, 06:13 AM

1,695 posts, read 642,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm shocked at my recent numbers. Why? I'm physically fit, 5' 9", 138lbs so I'm not overweight, and I eat super healthy--NO red meat. I don't eat fast food or junk food. I am being treated for Hashimoto's (thyroid disease) but I'm not sure there's enough research on how to change the impact the meds (Levoxyl) have on bones and cholesterol. I've always had doctors tell me that the meds can impact my cholesterol but these are my very first high levels ever.

Here's my numbers:

Total: 152
Triglycerides: 220 (0 - 149) ** high
HDL: 73 (> 39)
LDL: 35 (0 - 99)
VLDL: 44 (5 - 40) ** high

I haven't red the other posts (they're bound to be more based on imagination & disinformation than fact). But it seems they've turned you into a Cholesterol Cripple worrying about things that don't count too much.

a)cholesterol levels are determined much more by genetics than diet; Triglyceride levels are also determined largely by genetics, but diet has a much larger role.

2] total cholesterol levels are very weakly correlated with cardiac risk; the ratio of total chol to HDL has the highest correlation of the various ways of using the numbers. A ratio of 4:1 gives you "normal" risk of MI- 4/1000 per yr. … a lower ratio doesn't improve your risk too much, but according to The Theory, with a ratio of 2:1 you're bullet proof-- go ahead and start an argument in a bar. They can't hurt you.

c} Triglyceride levels in males are not correlated at all with cardiac risk, and are poorly correlated in females-- and even that may really be due to the relationship between lack of exercise and triglyd levels. They've been pushing @#$% about triglyc lately because they've already made all the money they can putting people on statins for chol.

d) Your level of 220 is a little high but not enough to lose sleep over. It's the people with genetic problems (triglyds 1000+ that are in trouble. Thyroid levels outside the normal range will affect the triglid level. Proper treatment brings it back to your baseline.

6] BTW- studies show that people on a red meat/low CHO diet have lower chol levels than those on a low fat diet. With your numbers, no need to deprive yourself.

ps/ VLDL is one of the chol & protein molecules in your blood. They measure total chol, HDL & VLDL, then subtract to get your LDL. A simple way to think of it is to call tot chol the garbage left on the curb, the HDL is then the number of garbage trucks you have to make the collections. No matter how much garbage is out there, it's not a problem if you have enough garbage trucks. OTOH- if you don't have enough trucks to get it all, it's still a problem, even if there isn't all that much garbage....This is why the only people who really have a significantly higher cardiac risk are those with HDL< 25.

pps/ First ever high numbers? They're correlated with age. Every day we get one day older...Just wait ;-)

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; Today at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness