U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is an alcoholic and he has been telling me that he is taking his antabuse, so i wasn't worried.. But he started back drinking this weekend and when i asked him how could he do that with what about all the antabuse he told me he was taking every time I asked him about it.. and he said "well I have been taking the antabuse and that is why I said I was taking the pills but i have missed some here and there because it worries me that it may be bad for my kidneys".. that sounds crazy to me! In my opinion that does not add up to sound logic at all.!. i think he just flat out lied about it so he could get by without worrying about facing getting his but kicked by the antabuse !. Makes me really angry at him for not taking it and for lie in to me all along!. I still love him but I am wondering how much does he love me.?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:58 PM

8,274 posts, read 10,526,318 times
Alcoholics lie about their intake. They hide their drinking. Period. If you plan on staying in the situation, go to an Al-Anon meeting (for the friends and family of problem drinkers) so you understand what kind of issues you are dealing with.

Welcome to Al-Anon Family Groups

Old 10-23-2015, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My brother-in-law takes Antabuse (disulfiram) because he is an alcoholic. He claims that he takes the medicine everyday and my sister has ocassionally counted the pills & it appears that the correct number of pills are missing.

However, she has caught him with a drink a couple of times. He says that the Antabuse only gives him a mild headache & a funny taste in his mouth when he drinks. The doctor & all of the paperwork say that you are supposed to get violently ill if you drink.

He just went into the hospital to detox (blood alcohol more than twice the legal limit for driving) but still insists that he had been taking the Antabuse every day while he was drinking the past few days and never threw up.

So I'm asking my online friends. Have any of you ever experienced this or heard about it first hand (drinking while on Antabuse & not getting sick)?
BIL was a heavy drinker for many years could they have just given him an incorrect dose?
Or maybe he just lied about taking the medication?
Or is he the one in a million/ten million who can take the medication, drink and not get sick?
Ideas?
My sister said that the doctor said that he must have lied about taking the medication. But BIL must have been pretty sneaky because he didn't know that she was counting his pills.
I would like to get a little more information that I may help my extended family. Thanks.
This is a reply to your original post. It's been many years since on antabuse and of the 8 months that I was forced to take the drug, I actually took it for the first 4 till I learned the tricks around it. The period of time I was taking it though, I was able to drink as much as I desired. It skyrocketed my blood pressure, my body temperature was so high my skin was blotchy red and that was mostly it.
A shot time after I became type 1 diabetic. I believe I fried my pancreas when drinking on the drug. Diabetes doesn't run in my family and is unheard of the disease appearing at the age of 22.
It's called juvenile diabetes because it's discovered in only juveniles.
If this correlates with your situation I hope it helps.

If this sounds familiar to anyone else, look for a new thread because the medical society should know of this side effect, and maybe a lawsuit against who forces the drug into your system. My county courts forced me because I was drinking under the age of 21.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,249 times
I believe the 4 months that I drank while on antabuse fried my pancreas. It's unheard of for someone to discover they have juvenile diabetes at the age of 23.

Has anyone else that has drank on antabuse have the same development years after?

Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
Default Not a dream come true

Thought this was going to be easy. Husband started taking Antabuse great 2 weeks. Then knew something was wrong. He found out he can drink 1 beer a day not 2. I give him the pill & watch him swallow it. He admitted it to me. We are now going to combine therapy with the pill.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:33 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,148,175 times
Only very limited experience. Was out to dinner once with a guy from work, just the two of us. He ordered something with a sauce. A few minutes after he tasted it he said it must have alcohol in it because it was giving him a headache. He was also making a face, like maybe it tasted bad. He didn't eat anymore of it.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 895 times
I have been taking Antabuse everyday for 7 months, I chew it up in front of my mom. I still drink wine and don't get sick. When she smells alcohol on me I say, I couldn't have drank I've been taking antabuse

Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 613 times
Omg I am trying to make things better for my life. I don't drink nearly as much as so so SO many others. But the thing is, I'm taking antibuse for a different reason. All the docs/paperwork threatened I'd be violently ill if I drank while on it. And yet? I just downed a 6 pack. For the 4th night. And no problems other than a mild headache. It works, but remember there are always the percentage for whom any meds do not work. I'm shocked I am not violently ill myself. Please. Just don't assume a person's lying. I am taking 500mg 2x/day and still drinking too much, and barely disrupted by the drug. Just... know it's likely not a loved one lying. It's worth considering that while it's massively affective for some, it's actually affective in the right way for everyone.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,073 times
I started antabuse about a week ago. After 4 days I tried drinking and of drinks I got extremely short of breath. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and my face as extremely read. From what I've read about it even if you drink you don't get buzzed, so why drink? I'm hopeful this will work. I'm not an extremely destructive type of alcoholic (I function and I never drink in the morning). Nonetheless I need to beat this.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,685,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysdad99 View Post
I started antabuse about a week ago. After 4 days I tried drinking and of drinks I got extremely short of breath. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror and my face as extremely read. From what I've read about it even if you drink you don't get buzzed, so why drink? I'm hopeful this will work. I'm not an extremely destructive type of alcoholic (I function and I never drink in the morning). Nonetheless I need to beat this.
Good luck to you sir.

I am also functioning but have gotten way better after going to a therapist. It does help to talk to someone but I don't believe in the AA way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness