Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,272,145 times

Advertisements

Has anyone developed urinary retention problems while taking cymbalta? My mother is having this problem and is undergoing tests to try to find out why she has trouble urinating and is getting constant bladder infections.

I don't know if cymbalta is the problem, we are still in the testing stage, but I have read that this can be a side effect of cymbalta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Has anyone developed urinary retention problems while taking cymbalta? My mother is having this problem and is undergoing tests to try to find out why she has trouble urinating and is getting constant bladder infections.

I don't know if cymbalta is the problem, we are still in the testing stage, but I have read that this can be a side effect of cymbalta.
It's a side effect of the Cymbalta

Renal side effects including pollakiuria (1% to 5%), polyuria, and urinary tract infection (3%) have been reported. Dysuria has been reported frequently. Micturition urgency, urinary hesitation, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, and decreased urine flow have been reported infrequently

Your mom should find a new physician if they're doing tests to see if she has issues when its a known side effect.. all the doctor has to do is read the insert. I'm so sick of doctors after our experience.

My daughter was on it for 1 1/2 years; I've tried to get her to stop taking it because I started questioning side effects but she refused. Last year she tried to commit suicide; which was probably a side effect of it; but instead of taking her off of it; the psych who prescribed it refused to see her again. He was the only one that took her insurance that had openings- everyone else on the list had at least a 6 month waiting list. We were seeing him about 8 years at this point. It will be a year in April & I've yet to find a new psych that takes either of our insurances & sees adolescents.

Next; she started having all sorts of weird health issues & looking back; I didn't question it because my hub had cancer. Had he not had cancer; the medication would have been questioned. She started having bad back pain and about a year later they realized she was having spasms. Her back was hot to the touch. Once we got those under control we found it was throwing her vertebrae out of place; she felt like she was being stabbed every time she breathed. We've been working on her back pain almost 2 years. She finally stopped taking Cymbalta in December because of weight gain. Our family Dr put her on Pristiq which is pretty much the same except she would eat & say that her stomach felt empty. She gained about 20 pounds in the 1st 6 weeks.

She's been off of Pristiq about 2 weeks & is not pigging out & her body is starting to return to normal.

One other issue she had was insomnia.

Is your mom on it for depression or pain?

My hub was on Effexor & had good luck with that if your mom is taking it for depression

Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Perhaps the doctor wants to verify that it -is- the Cymbalta causing the UTI, instead of assuming it. Just because there's a 3% chance that you'll get a UTI with Cymbalta, doesn't mean that your UTI was caused by it.

UTIs aren't all that uncommon, among people who -don't- take Cymbalta. So it's very possible that something else is causing it. A cautious and caring physician would make at least some modest amount of effort to rule out more common causes.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Default Inability to urinate

Mom was on 30 mg for pain from osteoarthritis and depression. Last year she was increased to 60 mg when the pain became worse. She had to be hospitalized shortly after the increase. Since she is 90, they put in a catheter and left it in for the duration of the hospitalization. ER doctors assume that anyone over 65 is senile, has congestive heart problems and a bladder infection. None of this was true of my mother. She had pneumonia. Three days after being discharged, she had to be readmitted for a horrific bladder infection. We have had infections since then, plus, she can't complete empty her bladder.

For about a month, she was unable to urinate at all. I had to catherize her every 4 hours.

We are going thru the testing series to check for bladder growths, stones, etc.

I am wondering if the Cymbalta is making her urinary problems worse.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Why would you catheterize her every 4 hours? Why not just let her have the cath and leave it in overnight? It sounds more like her urethra's been damaged than anything to do with any medication she's taking. When I had to be hospitalized I was cathed for 48 hours straight before I was able to get up and walk to the toilet. And that was just because I have a shy kidney - I was incapable of peeing into a bedpan even though I had to go bad! They said it was either bedpan or cath - I begged them for the cath.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Mom was on 30 mg for pain from osteoarthritis and depression. Last year she was increased to 60 mg when the pain became worse. She had to be hospitalized shortly after the increase. Since she is 90, they put in a catheter and left it in for the duration of the hospitalization. ER doctors assume that anyone over 65 is senile, has congestive heart problems and a bladder infection. None of this was true of my mother. She had pneumonia. Three days after being discharged, she had to be readmitted for a horrific bladder infection. We have had infections since then, plus, she can't complete empty her bladder.

For about a month, she was unable to urinate at all. I had to catherize her every 4 hours.

We are going thru the testing series to check for bladder growths, stones, etc.

I am wondering if the Cymbalta is making her urinary problems worse.
Sounds like the problems started with the med increase.
I noticed that no matter what we did for my daughter; her pain got worst on Cymbalta. When she started Cymbalta she had zero back pain. I'll have to check my records to see exactly when she went on it & how soon she started with pain; but the complaint of pain was gradual; then all of a sudden it was horrible. I want to say possibly 3 months after taking it.

Talk to your mom to see if she's similar to my daughter with her pain increasing. If so; it's the wrong medication for her & it will only get worst. I hate to think that your mom is in as much pain as my daughter from this medication. It's possible it's having the reverse affect on her. If she's having spasms; they could get worst like my daughters. My daughter did not have spasms before taking it.

I have low back problems with urination issues; I've gone off of many meds because they make the retention worst. For your mom; sounds like they should just leave the cath in for a bit to give her a break.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Default Permanent catheter

AnonChick -

The doctor had problems finding a catheter unit that would fit my mother. She is a petite woman, only 5'2" and weighed less than 105 lbs! Her skin is as delicate as tissue paper. They finally used a pediatric unit but the elastric straps on the unit rubbed raw places in just one night.

Then, a friend of mine who is a nurse said that intermittment treatment would be less likely to cause permanent problems. She is now urinating, but does not completly empty her bladder.

I am waiting now to hear from the doctor.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 45,171 times
Default Cymbalta is causing yeast infection and uti

Yes, since starting withdrawal from Cymbalta I've gotten a yeast infection, something I havent had in decades! I'm also getting symptoms of UTI. It has not been diagnosed by a physician but I'm sure that's what it is.
If your mother decides to stop taking this awful medication please see that she does so SLOWLY. Withdraw is horrible. Take it very seriously. Also, Cymbalta can cause suicidal ideation, even in people with no previous attempts. That applies to older adults as well as adolescents.
When it comes to this drug DO NOT trust a doctor or physician. Eli Lilly has brainwashed the world with its ads. There is a class action lawsuit in the making. Cymbalta can be very dangerous.
Wishing your mother a quick recovery.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Not to hijack this thread, but my son has been on Seroquel for about 2 years. Seroquel carries a BLACK BOX WARNING it may increase suicidial ideation. during that two year time period, DS has attempted suicide 6 times. Each time involved an ER visit, then a psychiatric hospitalization, then, the psychiatrists INCREASED his Seroquel Good thinking---if a drug might cause a side effect, and the side effect happens, the patient needs MORE of it.

Yes, I did protest the medication. Then, we as parents were charged with medical neglect and DS was placed in an RTC (residential treatment center), where they gave him even more Seroquel When I protest, they extend his stay, saying the home environment is not conducive to his mental state --ie, we don't want to give him Seroquel. when I point out the BLACK BOX WARNING on Seroquel, they just chuckle and say, oh, all antidepressants carry that warning, just some greedy lawyers......

Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
OTOH, I have had success with Cymbalta. I was having low-grade panic attacks, and depression, the Cymbalta helps. However, it, too carries a suicide black box warning. Ok, I've had no thoughts of suicide, or I wouldn't continue it. See, that's why the Black Box warning is there----those side effects certainly don't happen to everyone, but those that do experience it should re-consider taking it. Geez, I never went to medical school, but even I could figure out if a drug is corrolated to a potential, serious side-effect, perhaps we should stop that drug, not increase it. WTH am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness