Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 10:16 AM

21,669 posts, read 12,718,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
My friend has a 10 year old son that is a little on the husky side. His mom is working on trying to be healthier and making better food choices. Last year, the son had a hunny bun and chocolate milk for breakfast. Then he switched to cereal. However, it got to the point where he barely ate his cereal, and just let it go soggy. So she bought some ego waffles, and now he eat's his whole breakfast. And she posed the question that any breakfast is better than no breakfast, right? And by no breakfast she means that he let's his cereal go to waste.

I am posing this question for kids and adults. I am not much of a breakfast person (coffee is my breakfast). However, I am trying to change. I would never make waffles/pancakes a breakfast standard..but occasionally, would that be better than no breakfast?
The best breakfast would be protein (good old-fashioned bacon and eggs) or even Greek yogurt with some fresh fruit in it, but those don't seem to be among the options offered.

If he's overweight, I'd choose no breakfast over a sugary one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 02:12 PM

23,018 posts, read 18,357,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The best breakfast would be protein (good old-fashioned bacon and eggs) or even Greek yogurt with some fresh fruit in it, but those don't seem to be among the options offered.

If he's overweight, I'd choose no breakfast over a sugary one.
This kid is now 18 and hopefully choosing healthy breakfasts for himself.

Old 12-04-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This kid is now 18 and hopefully choosing healthy breakfasts for himself.
There really should be an expiration date for these threads!

Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM

15,243 posts, read 12,862,370 times
Quote:

Or at the very least, an expiation date.

Old 05-12-2023, 05:54 AM

50,123 posts, read 63,519,992 times
She is buying the food. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with cereal as long as it’s low sugar. I would make fruit available and the kid can eat it, or starve. Something with peanut butter would have some protein, or eggs.

A lot of kids like hard boiled eggs, and that will keep him full til lunch.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-12-2023 at 06:07 AM..

Old 05-12-2023, 06:54 AM

22,620 posts, read 24,441,992 times
Kids get used to junk, especially sugary junk, and that habit can become an addiction that leads to
very poor health.

It is really important to establish good eating-habits when young.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:54 AM

17,103 posts, read 16,270,803 times
Your friend should google how to make "chaffles". They are basically egg and cheese cooked in a waffle iron. She could even give him low sugar maple syrup to use on them.

Old 05-12-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised I posted this, as I no longer agree with myself, LOL. I now think continuing threads can be useful to others even long after the OP has disappeared from them.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:43 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,122,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
I agree with everything you said. The boy really does have a sweet tooth that the mother enables. He will say he is full from dinner, and 15 minutes later be asking for his dessert.

My mom is very health conscience, so we never had junk at our house either. So I feel pretty good about knowing healthier choices. However, I tend to be too opinionated at times...especially about her husky son. Therefore, I try to hold back on some of my opinions here and there. So when she asked the questions the other day, I was not 100% confident to argue that a surgary breakfast may not be better. So I just kept quiet.

To give the mom some credit, I think it is lack of knowledge about healthier options, and she is trying to learn about now. She was trying to learn what 'sensible snacks' meant the other day, which for me seems almost like common sense.
It is all about the calories - why not make sure first that “the husky” boy has enough strenuous activities to burn off his seemingly excessive calories?

Is “husky” a new PC word for fat?
Can’t keep up.

Sure, the excessive carbs wreak havoc on metabolism via insulin/leptin pass.
His breakfast is only concerning that it is monotonous and not varied enough for him to get essential micronutrients

Some people on high/all protein diet don’t realize that the body turns protein into sugars anyway
One could get fat on high protein diet if you don’t spend the calories.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:36 AM

LOL, there's nothing new about the word "husky." I'm old enough to remember when that was an actual size in the stores. Of course now we have more "husky" kids than ever before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness