Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:21 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

Eveybody is different.
We went out for dinner last night and I had a couple of drinks. Having a cigarette never even entered my mind.
The idea is to eliminate smoking from your life.....not give up other things you like/want to do.....avoid people/places you want to be .
That can cause resentment and a "the hell with this" decision.
Re: gaining weight.
When I wondered what I should do in place of holding a cigarette and putting something in my mouth, I looked over at my husband and saw that what a non-smoker does is..........nothing!
Just quietly and calmly sits there. So, that's the 'action' I emulated.
Act like a non-smoker.......fake it 'til you make it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 PM

278 posts, read 550,144 times
day 5 without smoking and i find myself drinking more beer, and drinking it faster than normal, to compensate for the nicotine buzz. doesnt matter to me. id rather drink more than smoke again. anyhow im confident in saying i am completely done with cigs. ill say again you have to want to quit deep down. no half ass deep in your mind i want to quit but not sure i can do it.

thanks for the comments folks.

yo adrian!, i did it!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Great

FYI: my ex bought every kind of gum, candy etc and reached for that bag when the smoking urge came up...he did quit, no problems, but needed something to occupy his thoughts for a few weeks. Since smoking is an oral habit, the candy etc seemed to take the place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
day 5 without smoking and i find myself drinking more beer, and drinking it faster than normal, to compensate for the nicotine buzz. doesnt matter to me. id rather drink more than smoke again. anyhow im confident in saying i am completely done with cigs. ill say again you have to want to quit deep down. no half ass deep in your mind i want to quit but not sure i can do it.

thanks for the comments folks.

yo adrian!, i did it!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:00 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,135 times
Good for you! Drink lots of water...Eating Sunflower seeds are good too because it will keep your hands and mouth busy, that's a huge part of the smoking addiction...Drinking may weaken your resolve...Anyway...Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyischamp View Post
i have not smoked a cigarette since tuesday. so far so good, but this has been extremely hard. when i get a craving i clench my fists and force myself not to think about it. i believe i will get to friday without smoking. the real test will come when i drink beer this weekend. when drinking that is when i crave cigarettes the most.

anyhow, only after 2 days of not smoking. food already tastes better, i feel better, i can feel my body detoxing.

but god damn it i want a cigarette.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If you must substitute, get TicTacs or the like. 2 or less calories each.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I quit two months ago. It still feels weird to realize I'm not a smoker anymore, but it's a good weird. AND it's been great from December to February NOT to have to go outside and freeze my ass off every few hours so I can smoke.

I bought a lot of apples. Apples seem to help with both the oral fixation from not smoking and keeping any weight gain down.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I quit two months ago. It still feels weird to realize I'm not a smoker anymore, but it's a good weird. AND it's been great from December to February NOT to have to go outside and freeze my ass off every few hours so I can smoke.

I bought a lot of apples. Apples seem to help with both the oral fixation from not smoking and keeping any weight gain down.
The metabolism slows down when you quit smoking. You might gain a few pounds, but you can work on that later. Congratulations on quitting. You are well on your way!

Old 02-19-2012, 11:08 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Check this place out--it's free and it helps. I've not smoked for 3 years now and they still email me! My husband has not smoked for 5 years and they still email him. Great support!

Quit Smoking All Together: the Web's Largest Quit Smoking Community

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 PM

278 posts, read 550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Great

FYI: my ex bought every kind of gum, candy etc and reached for that bag when the smoking urge came up...he did quit, no problems, but needed something to occupy his thoughts for a few weeks. Since smoking is an oral habit, the candy etc seemed to take the place...
interesting because since i stopped smoking i have been craving chocolate. i hardly eat chocolate but its weird that i crave it ever since. i went to trader joes two days ago and bought a couple of their pound plus bars with almonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness