U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 AM

2,194 posts, read 4,013,219 times
Default Night sweats after surgery

My DH had surgery three weeks ago to remove a lipoma from his colon. They removed a foot or so of colon through a laparoscopically assisted procedure. He was in the hospital for five days and has been home for two weeks.

Ever since he has been home he has been sweating like crazy through the night. At first I thought it was just because he wasn't moving around much and was sleeping in the same position all night. But now he is turning from side to side and much more mobile and he is still sweating enough that the sheets are soaked in the morning.

It isn't a medicine side effect because he isn't taking any medicine at all now other than an occasional Tylenol.

He is a healthy average weight guy and this is a new, odd issue for him.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 AM

16,542 posts, read 19,145,661 times
I cannot speak specifically to your DHs type of surgery, but my husband had lung surgery ten years ago, and his internal thermostat was off for a long time. He would get really cold in circumstances where he would not have usually.
Of course, your DH should ask the Dr., but I think it is a typical side effect after surgery.
My feeling is that anesthetics really mess with your body for months afterwards.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
Removing a foot or so of colon for a lipoma sounds unusual. Are you sure your DH isn't lying to you about the reason, like cancer or a dead area off tissue? I know this isn't what you asked, but it just seems so unusual - but then I'm not a physician.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM

2,194 posts, read 4,013,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Removing a foot or so of colon for a lipoma sounds unusual. Are you sure your DH isn't lying to you about the reason, like cancer or a dead area off tissue? I know this isn't what you asked, but it just seems so unusual - but then I'm not a physician.
So - I was there every ste of the way and involved in every conversation with the surgeon. At first it was thought to be a very large polyp but when the surgeon saw it and realized that it was a solid mass growing from the colon itself and not the lining he treated it as suspected cancer, took a bunch of lymph nodes and a clear margin. when he tried to reconnect the two ends of the color there was an ischemic (dead) area so he took two more inches than he planned in order to get a solid connection.

DH is recovering beautifully - back to work, back to eating fiber... The night sweats are the only problem.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 PM

16,264 posts, read 29,836,920 times
What an ordeal for both of you. It makes sense now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness