U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,380,775 times

Advertisements

Are any of you able to give me some personal insight?

I've never lost consciousness in my life. I'm in my late 50s.

Over the last year and a few months, I've had a great deal of discomfort. After seeing many doctors my shoulder pain was diagnosed as adhesive capsulitis....frozen shoulder.

Then back pain started. I'm still messing with it. This past Tuesday the new doctor, where I've recently moved, suggested seeing a neurologist. I can't get an appointment until December 4.

Early this morning I woke with a severe cramp in my left calf. It was a real doozy and lasted longer than any I've had before. I've had some really nasty ones in the past.

I got it under control and was leaning forward on the bed. After that, I don't remember a thing until my SO picked me up from the floor. I know I said, "How did I get down here?" Then I became very nauseous, and I was perspiring like crazy.

I phoned the doctor, and she wants to see me. Problem is there was no opening until tomorrow at 1:30. Now I have some time to think about all this.
Drat!

I've never passed out before. Does all this sound textbook? Is it normal not to remember going down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,005,668 times
From what you have explain thus far, here are some possibilities:

In medical terms, you had a syncopal episode.

This can happen with something going on with your heart, brain and/or you are severely dehydrated (whether it is from blood loss or not taking enough fluid in)

Good luck..Keep us informed

Old 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post
From what you have explain thus far, here are some possibilities:

In medical terms, you had a syncopal episode.

This can happen with something going on with your heart, brain and/or you are severely dehydrated (whether it is from blood loss or not taking enough fluid in)

Good luck..Keep us informed

autimom - Is it possible I simply hyperventilated while gasping for air with the leg pain?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,936,013 times
I have had similar episodes. Get a thorough exam plus full Cardio exam. This is a must.

Also total blood workup. Have you had any tummy problems? If so you will want that checked out. In my case, after many tests I learned it was a severe case of GERD. Good luck to you. Also drink lots of water!!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 AM

268 posts, read 1,005,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
autimom - Is it possible I simply hyperventilated while gasping for air with the leg pain?
Depends... If you were straining (like bearing down) while gasping.. Maybe.

There is a nerve in your body called a vagal nerve. You stimulate it when bearing down (like a bowel movement). Stimulating it quickly drops you heart rate which can cause one to pass out.

This is the reason why your may hear of elderly people dying on the toilet or in the bathroom. Combining a bad heart and straining is not a good idea.

Good luck at your appointment.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 AM

jhlcomp and autimom - Thanks for your replies.

I was in a great deal of pain and was bent over trying to relive the cramp. I'm sure my entire body was straining. My throat was sore from gasping. 'Course it was 5 a.m., and I was awakened suddenly. I don't remember much but the pain at that point.

I am aware of the vagal nerve thing. My daughter fainted (appeared to be more of a small seizure) in her early teens. She was being fitted for contacts. Her ped said it was because that nerve was probably being stimmed. It never happened again.

I'll see what the doc has to say. The back pain is intense. I landed on an antique, iron doorstop. I don't know where I hit it thought. I'm not sure I can hang in there for another 3 months with the pain. It's been going on for nearly 2 months now. My life is too busy for this junk!!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,362,884 times
Unhappy Sorry for your troubles...

Rockky, I can relate (as they say in CA...) to your calves cramping at night Have had this on and off for years...and while everyone's case is unique, I'll say what has helped me. Be certain you are getting enough potassium regularly and as others have mentioned, maintain adequate hydration. Eating one banana daily (preferably organic) insures cramp-free sleeping in my case.

For you it will be important to know if the leg cramping is from the back injury or not: I think it could be. And I think more that just one primary cause could be a factor here.

Knowing you can't see the neurologist until Dec (Gah) Have you considered Chiropractic? This could help alleviate symptoms in the mean time. Specifically I'm thinking of how to stretch your leg muscles as a cramp is beginning, even when wakening in the middle of the night because of one.

DM me if you want specifics....I know this may not be your primary concern right now. Prayers here for you, dear friend!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Rockky, I can relate (as they say in CA...) to your calves cramping at night Have had this on and off for years...and while everyone's case is unique, I'll say what has helped me. Be certain you are getting enough potassium regularly and as others have mentioned, maintain adequate hydration. Eating one banana daily (preferably organic) insures cramp-free sleeping in my case.

For you it will be important to know if the leg cramping is from the back injury or not: I think it could be. And I think more that just one primary cause could be a factor here.

Knowing you can't see the neurologist until Dec (Gah) Have you considered Chiropractic? This could help alleviate symptoms in the mean time. Specifically I'm thinking of how to stretch your leg muscles as a cramp is beginning, even when wakening in the middle of the night because of one.

DM me if you want specifics....I know this may not be your primary concern right now. Prayers here for you, dear friend!
Thanks, Macrina. I'll try to be in touch later. I'm packing now to head to the south DE beach after the doctor appointment. *If* she thinks it's something simple that is.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,980,929 times
the calf muscles waking you up can be from dehydration, like everyone said, ya.

the woozy, sudden sweating, and fainting is generally a sign of something a little more serious.

Shortness of breath
Palpitations (irregular heart beats, skipped beats or a "flip-flop" feeling in your chest)
A faster heartbeat
Weakness or dizziness
Nausea
Sweating
Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction or MI)
Symptoms can include:

Discomfort, pressure, heaviness, or pain in the chest, arm or below the breastbone
Discomfort radiating to the back, jaw, throat or arm
Sweating, nausea, vomiting or dizziness
Extreme weakness, anxiety or shortness of breath

Your most recent advisors on a full cardio checkup are extremely valid. Your head, and your heart are sending you panic signals. I wouldn't wait until December.

My friend went to the hospital (emergency room) the morning she woke up sweating, dizzy, headache, she was diangosed with an inoperable brain tummor that same day. Only you can be the judge of how seriously you think these signs are, from reading up on it, it can be serious. From reading a LOT on it, it could be something as simple as dehydration or an iron defficiency that is causing you to have passed out, or something along those lines.

Please take care.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,895,074 times
I can't say much about most things you mentioned but I will share a little secret my Dr. told me about leg cramps...and I use to get them quite regularly and really bad. He told me many nurses had this problem, probably from being on their feet for long hours. They found out that by taking vit. E it helped a lot. I take 1,000 IU daily. I found these huge bottles at "Sams Club" for a reasonable price. I rarely get leg cramps now and when I do I use "Sports Cream" (that's the brand name) purchased at any drug store and they are instantly gone. I suffer no more!! These two items are a life saver for me!! I agree with everyone else here about you getting in to see your DR. about these other problems. Your body is trying to tell you something and you should listen to it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness