Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times

Advertisements

wondering about a fatty liver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) Causes, Symptoms, Treatments

Old 07-03-2015, 05:38 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I will bump this up because I have a fatty liver, and I don't know if I should worry about it. I had my appendix out in 2009 and the surgeon said, among other things, that I have a fatty liver. He said many people do and not to worry. So I didn't.

Fast forward to now, and my last blood tests revealed some wonky numbers in the liver department. I'm doing a low carb diet, and cutting out alcohol for a month and being retested.
I'm not really worried, but I'm wondering how common this affliction is, and if anyone else had this lead to something more serious?

Old 07-03-2015, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Fatty liver disease is common in alcoholics. But not all fatty liver is related to chronic alcohol consumption. Obesity can lead to fatty liver too. It can -lead- to serious illness, it's more of a warning signal that you need to make some changes, *before* there are problems.

Make sure you're getting enough fiber now that you're going low carb. You might adjust that, and instead of low-carb (which is a broad variety of foods) try low-starch and low-refined sugar, with no artificial sweeteners at all. That way you can still have plenty of fiber-rich foods - which by definition involve more carbs than you'll typically get on a low-carb diet. You'll want to make sure you're hydrating yourself this summer too, and get some kind of aerobic exercise every day in addition to just walking around being you

Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Fatty liver disease is common in alcoholics. But not all fatty liver is related to chronic alcohol consumption. Obesity can lead to fatty liver too. It can -lead- to serious illness, it's more of a warning signal that you need to make some changes, *before* there are problems.

Make sure you're getting enough fiber now that you're going low carb. You might adjust that, and instead of low-carb (which is a broad variety of foods) try low-starch and low-refined sugar, with no artificial sweeteners at all. That way you can still have plenty of fiber-rich foods - which by definition involve more carbs than you'll typically get on a low-carb diet. You'll want to make sure you're hydrating yourself this summer too, and get some kind of aerobic exercise every day in addition to just walking around being you
What causes me concern is why, since I am neither obese or alcoholic.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Genetics play a part in fatty liver disease. It's not the only criteria - just as obesity is not the only criteria. You could be eating too many fats even if you're not obese, and it'd affect your liver. You might have a metabolic disorder.

Since the last time you had yourself tested prior to recently was 2009, you might want to check your family history and see if there's a pattern of fatty liver in there. Regardless of the cause, since many of the triggers are just that - triggers - rather than direct causes.

And do please have a doctor take a look to find out what's going on.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Do you drink a lot of soft drinks, flavored beverages, ice teas with sugar or high fructose corn syrup or artificial sugar substitutes in them? Such as aspertame?

I've a friend with fatty liver syndrome who doesn't drink alcohol but consumes a lot of the aforementioned beverages and was told to cut them out to create a healthier liver.

Plain water, maybe with some fresh lime or lemon, is your friend--and your liver will thank you.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do you drink a lot of soft drinks, flavored beverages, ice teas with sugar or high fructose corn syrup or artificial sugar substitutes in them? Such as aspertame?

I've a friend with fatty liver syndrome who doesn't drink alcohol but consumes a lot of the aforementioned beverages and was told to cut them out to create a healthier liver.

Plain water, maybe with some fresh lime or lemon, is your friend--and your liver will thank you.
No, I drink no sodas or flavored beverages with artificial sweetener.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Genetics play a part in fatty liver disease. It's not the only criteria - just as obesity is not the only criteria. You could be eating too many fats even if you're not obese, and it'd affect your liver. You might have a metabolic disorder.

Since the last time you had yourself tested prior to recently was 2009, you might want to check your family history and see if there's a pattern of fatty liver in there. Regardless of the cause, since many of the triggers are just that - triggers - rather than direct causes.

And do please have a doctor take a look to find out what's going on.
I am following a course of treatment with my doctor, but I was hoping to hear from others who have been treated for this.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am following a course of treatment with my doctor, but I was hoping to hear from others who have been treated for this.
My husband had a mild case which was picked up by his endocrinologist. What the endo said was that too many carbs are a common cause of fatty liver, if it's not heavy alcohol use. We rarely drink, so it was the carbs. After six weeks of controlling carb intake, all liver functions are now normal. He hasn't had a repeat ultrasound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness