Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 AM

202 posts, read 472,894 times

Advertisements

Been using lip balm all day & night all year for years. I have tried to quit using the stuff for two weeks and lived in constant pain.

Anyone had the same experience but "kicked the habit"? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
There are worse things than lip balm. But I agree, being addicted to anything is the Pits!

Try to wean yourself from it gradually. If you use it about every hour (or whatever) see if you can make yourself wait 10 minutes longer. Then, as you get used to less, it will be easier. It might take a good while, but you can do it!

while you try, see if you can find a brand that you don't like as well. Some seem to have an aroma, that I really wouldn't want near my nose.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Dry lips require constant lip balm for moisturizing. Keeps them from itching and cracking. I use it all the time, doctor reccomended it.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I don't see anything wrong with using it, I do it all the time myself. I actually like the one I get from the $$$ store, cheap, made with beeswax and peppermint!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I love lip balm, too! Licking my lips makes them dry and uncomfortable--lip balm keeps them moist and comfortable. In my opinion--Balm Away!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I have several Burt's Bees lip balms. (Colorado is really dry most of the time plus I take meds
with a diuretic). I think I have 4 different ones right now, love them all, don't see any benefit
in not using them...

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
just make sure its a natural one not one petro based and your fine!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
just make sure its a natural one not one petro based and your fine!!!
Quoted for truth. Here's some detail:

Petrolatum (the main ingredient in chapstick) is solidified petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly's original purpose was to seal gaskets on submarines, because it is 100% waterproof. Now give that a moment to sink in (pun intended).

100% waterproof, on chapped lips. Lips that are lacking in moisture..meaning - water.. getting a waterproof seal preventing any moisture from entering them. Not only that, but also preventing any dirt from escaping out.

You are coating your skin with a moisture-proof barrier. It gives a *facade* (a false surface) of softness. But you have deprived your lips of moisture for the past few hours, and when it wears off, it's even worse, forcing you to add more to give it that facade of softness.

Burt's bees will do the same thing, because burt's uses beeswax - which is - you guessed it - 100% waterproof. And neither wax nor petroleum can absorb into the skin. They remain a barrier. That is their function.

What you need, is a humectant, or other absorptive emolliant. Nut and vegetable oils of any types, glycerine (vegetable or animal), propylene glycol, sorbitol, shea butter, jojoba oil (which is technically a liquid bean wax). All of these will absorb into the skin instead of being a barrier on top of it, and will allow water to absorb in as well. All of those things will provide moisture -and- softness, without feeling even worse when they wear off.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

699 posts, read 2,219,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Burt's bees will do the same thing, because burt's uses beeswax - which is - you guessed it - 100% waterproof. And neither wax nor petroleum can absorb into the skin. They remain a barrier. That is their function.

What you need, is a humectant, or other absorptive emolliant. Nut and vegetable oils of any types, glycerine (vegetable or animal), propylene glycol, sorbitol, shea butter, jojoba oil (which is technically a liquid bean wax).
chemically speaking, jojoba oil and beeswax are both waxes.

according to a quick search on wiki:

Waxes are organic compounds that characteristically consist of long alkyl chains. Natural waxes are typically esters of fatty acids and long chain alcohols. Synthetic waxes are long-chain hydrocarbons lacking functional groups. (synthetic=petrol)

and that jojoba is plant based, and beeswax, obviously animal based wax. why wouldn't they both absorb?
other bee products are well tolerated and used by the body.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
chemically speaking, jojoba oil and beeswax are both waxes.

according to a quick search on wiki:

Waxes are organic compounds that characteristically consist of long alkyl chains. Natural waxes are typically esters of fatty acids and long chain alcohols. Synthetic waxes are long-chain hydrocarbons lacking functional groups. (synthetic=petrol)

and that jojoba is plant based, and beeswax, obviously animal based wax. why wouldn't they both absorb?
other bee products are well tolerated and used by the body.
Solid wax is cannot absorb into the skin. The purpose of beeswax, as an ingredient in skin preparations, is to provide a light film - or barrier - and soften the outer surface of the skin. Beeswax is not a liquid. Jojoba is. Beeswax is mixed with other ingredients to emulsify it, thus allowing it to spread onto the skin, rather than just falling off of it. Jojoba blends into the skin, because it is the closest thing to sebum that the plant world has. Beeswax does not blend into the skin, because it is nothing at all like sebum, it isn't compatible with sebum, and it is a solid - no matter what emulsifies it in a lip balm (typically lecithin).

There's nothing magickal about beeswax. Just because honey is amazingly healthful (unless you're an infant, or allergic), doesn't mean that any other aspect of a bee's productivity is healthful. It's not bad for you, but it doesn't really do anything especially good either. It's just wax. Same thing that some artists make candles with. You'd have the same result with temporarily soft skin if you used parafin. And that is why parafin is used to dip hands and feet in, at manicure/pedacure salons. It provides temporary softness to the outer surface of the skin. It does nothing to moisturize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness