Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

OK, good to know about the Gatorade. I hate Gatorade, but maybe I'll try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't like it either but it takes care of the leg/foot cramps I was getting. A small glass a day does it. They even have the low sugar kind.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,283 times
Quote:
Gatorade is not natural. It doesn't come from trees. Drink water, try the magnesium (I think it was already mentioned) and some calcium. Make sure it is Calcium Citrate, as your body can't use some of the other types.

If you take just Calcium or just magnesium, it can unbalance your calcium/magnesium ration, which should be about 2-1. They work together.

Now, a bit about WHY magnesium. It is the second most abundant element in human cells and the fourth most important positively charged ion in the body. Regulating over 325 enzymes, it helps organize many of the body's functions, like muscle control, reduces inflammation, cramping, energy production and helps eliminate harmful toxins.

It also helps with stress, protein synthesis, detoxification, migraines, etc.

Most of us are deficient in magnesium, and it isn't easy to digest, so this is why taking a soaking in a bath with Epsom salt, which is high in magnesium, is one of the easiest ways to get a boost.

According to the National Academy of Sciences, American’s magnesium deficiency helps to account for high rates of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive maladies, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a number of other ailments. Who knew?!

Read more: Health Benefits of Epsom Salt Baths | Care2 Healthy Living

If you soak in epsom salts (hydrated Magnesium sulfate), your skin will absorb some of that and it can help. You can use from 2 cups up to two or three pounds for a long soak. If you use less, then soak more frequently, like three times a week. Soak for about 30 minutes. Don't add other soap or oils. Your skin will feel great - and so will you!

You can get Epsom salts at a most grocery or drug stores... BUT, you can also get it at feed stores in 50 pound bags for about $30.00. Saves money and motivates me to use it more often.

It may take a few soaks before you notice much difference, but it may happen faster!! Hope it does!

Eat more veggies and fruits.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the info gypsydoc! I literally haven't taken a bath in maybe a year & the year before that, maybe a couple of times. I guess I'm a shower person, but I guess I could try to take a nice soak at the end of every work week at least.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info gypsydoc! I literally haven't taken a bath in maybe a year & the year before that, maybe a couple of times. I guess I'm a shower person, but I guess I could try to take a nice soak at the end of every work week at least.
I know how you feel! I have totally been a shower person most of my life until my daughter, who is a massage therapist kept harping about my taking a soak now and then... for sore muscles, (when I garden or hike too much) and also for magnesium (I had mild muscle cramps in my feet and calves)..

Man, what a difference the epsom salts make. The hardest part was allowing enough time and not getting so bored I'd get out too soon. That's when I started really remembering to relax and meditate. Good for the bod, good for the mind and soul.

If you can only take one a week, then put in a couple of pounds. It really does make a difference, then go to bed. You'll probably sleep like a baby.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I've gotten those things all my life... I think everyone gets them. It happens to me when I hyper extend my leg a certain way and everything kind of stretches out and your foot hurts really bad. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it just really sucks when it happens.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
...If you can only take one a week, then put in a couple of pounds. It really does make a difference, then go to bed. You'll probably sleep like a baby.
Ahh, that sounds nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I've gotten those things all my life... I think everyone gets them. It happens to me when I hyper extend my leg a certain way and everything kind of stretches out and your foot hurts really bad. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it just really sucks when it happens.
Well, that's of some relief knowing I'm not the rare one to get these. But, boy they sure do hurt. I think to myself, once I'm an elderly person, HOW in the world am I going to endure this kind of pain?!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Try drinking Gatorade daily; it contains electrolites which you might be low on.
Yep, that's probably what your low on. That's why athletes drink Gatorade regularly to prevent the cramping.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Ahh, that sounds nice!

Let me know how you feel after your bath!

Well, that's of some relief knowing I'm not the rare one to get these. But, boy they sure do hurt. I think to myself, once I'm an elderly person, HOW in the world am I going to endure this kind of pain?!
It is a common thing to have these types of cramps, but it is not normal. Does that make sense? Pain is a signal that something is wrong. Try the baths and let me know how it goes.

I do not recommend Gatorade... even though it is hyped up quite a bit. It has a lot of sugar in it plus it can be hard on your GI tract.

Also, there is no magnesium in Gatorade so it really doesn't qualify as a fully electrolyte replacement beverage. Even if there were, remember, magnesium is difficult to absorb in the stomach and intestines...

I doubt if your cramps are a result of not enough Gatorade.. LOL...

Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
OK, I am going to throw my 2 cents worth in so everyone can laugh at me but don't worry.... I laughed too, when I first heard this but over the last 40 years, I have been shown time and time again that it was true for me..

MILK and or milk products gives me cramp in my feet EVERY time I drink it or eat milk products..

I thought the old country woman was crazy when she told me that but my cramps were so bad I was ready to try anything.. I was so surprised when I found out she was right!

Do you drink milk or eat a lot of milk products?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness