U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 AM

70 posts, read 145,286 times

Advertisements

January 30th of this year I went to the Emergency Room because the toenail on my right foot (big toe) was ingrown on both sides, hurting bad too and there were red streaks going down my toe and the side of my foot, it was infected, there was a large pocket of pus at the top of the toe. The Doctor drained the pus, removed the toenail, gave me a Tetnis shot because I hadn't had one for 23 years and prescribed two different antibiotics (one for an internal infection and one for an external infection). I was up front with the ER and told them I didn't have insurance, medicaid, medicare or money, but they treated me anyways. What I didn't tell them was that I wouldn't get my SS check for another week and that I couldn't get the prescriptions filled till I got my check. However, my toe has not healed any at all, it is still bleeding and oozing, still hurts as bad and still looks as bad, actually I think it looks worse. Where the toenail used to be the toe is black, the rest of the toe is really red, the base of my toe is swollen, it looks like my toe is rotting (don't know how else to describe it). I think I know why it is not healing, when I had my last back surgery the incision was not healing, the Ortho Doc sent me to someone who specializes in people that don't heal, that Doc told me that my body went through so much trauma with the surgery that my immune system got confused and was over reacting and attacking my skin, the Doc said that when you heal you get new skin growth but my body was attacking the new growth and killing it, so while I was healing I really wasn't healing. Anyway the Doc prescribed some cortizone cream and told me to put it on the incision twice a day, within a week the incision had healed enough so the stitches and staples could be removed. However, I don't have anymore of the wonder cream (Ultravate), nor do I have the money to go to the Doctor to get anymore, I tried some over the counter cortizone cream on my toe but it didn't help any at all.

I don't know what to do. I tried soaking my foot in Epsom Salt but that made it worse as that is when the toe started looking like it was rotting. I barely survive on the SS, I pay my bills and buy what food I can and have 5 dollars left in my Bank Account till the next check comes in. All I have to worry about is utilities and food, I am debt free and I don't blow any money. My husband passed away and I get his SS from what he paid in over the years because I am past age 50 and disabled is why I get it. Because I don't draw SSI or Disability I don't qualify for Medicaid and because I am not retirement age I don't qualify for Medicare, and I can't afford insurance. As it is, I don't have any food the last week before I get my check. I don't really want to go back to the ER because I feel bad about not being able to pay for the last time I was there, I don't like oweing anybody. Can anybody suggest anything that I can do at home to help my toe heal?

Thanks,
Jeanette
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 AM

16,473 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Your toe may have gangrene and you may lose part of your foot. Go to the ER now!

Tell them you can't go buy meds and they can give you samples or the hospital pharmacy can fill the prescription free.

You can also get blood poisoning. Go now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-15-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
You need to go back to the ER today. Don't worry about being able to pay, you can always set up a payment plan later. You can also call 211 to find out if there are any clinics in your area that see people on a sliding scale, or for free. If you can't afford the prescription, tell the doctor that, they will prescribe something cheaper or give you samples. But go and get that foot looked at today.

Also, you mentioned runnning out of food every month...you should look into food banks in your area, or see if you qualify for food stamps. Again, calling 211 can help with that.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 PM

2,588 posts, read 7,019,471 times
I agree...you need to be seen. There are some free clinics around...can you find out about them, for future needs!

Good luck to you....and get to the ER now!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 AM

6,067 posts, read 5,250,147 times
have you been tested for Diabetes? sometimes slow healing foot injuries can be a sign of this illness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness