Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,470,523 times

Advertisements

My husband has had and passed a number of kidney stones. One he had laser surgery on (think he would have passed that one on his own but we were new to it at that time). His first stone was the one he had the surgery on. It was outpatient but cost like $10,000. I don't think he needed surgery looking back as he has passed stones much larger since. When he gets them he drinks a lot of water and cranberry juice and takes pain medication when needed. He can pass one in a few days or it can take months. Sometimes you will have one in your kidney floating around not bothing you, and then it settles near the opeing out of the kidney and you go into very bad pain. It can then jar loose and float again or begin the journey down the tube. When he firsdt began getting them they would do an xray and then a cat scan. Now the doc just says, yep I think you have another stone. His last one he had was over the summer and it was the biggest of all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Thanks for the help everyone. I went to the ER and the stone is still there, about 2mm they say. I was hoping I passed it, it was so painful I could hardly stand it.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 PM

326 posts, read 470,270 times
in late august/ early september 2005, I had a pea sized ureteral stone. it all started in late august when i suddenly felt very sick. I was throwing up like crazy, and the entire right side of my abdomen between the rib cage and the hip felt as though someone had been pounding on it with a baseball bat. And the only comfortable position I could rest was a slightly sitting up position. At first, my parents and i thought it was a pulled muscle on my right side or something. It took nearly 2 days for it all to go away. Then in early september, it happened again. Same format, same pains. A few days later, when i went to the bathroom, I felt something about the size of a pea slip through my urethra and stop just behind the exit. It was a huge shock that literally caused me to briefly faint and collapse to the floor. And not only was it very uncomfortable, but it also caused painful and slow urination. I tried plucking it out with tweezers, scissors, nail files, and some weird different objects, but was unsuccessful. So then when i was completely unsuccessful at removing it myself, I told my mother about it and she took me to the hospital, where two doctors successfully removed the stone with tweezers of their own.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:55 PM

I had a 4.5 hour episode on Sunday. That was the most miserable experience anyone could imagine. Started at 8 am and didnt stop until 1 pm and that was only because of drugs. A CT scan showed it is a 4mm stone, which means it has doubled in size in 2 years time. They wont do anything about it (besides prescribe me Hydrocodone) because its small enough to pass. Lovely. lol It took 2 Percoset pills, one shot of Torital (sp?) and 4 shots of morphine before I was comfortable. I puked 3 times because of the pain on Sunday. Ive never felt such pain before in my life, it was utter HELL. No other word to describe it.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
I do what I can to minimize the risks. My father and older brother have both had them, but their diets are much different than mine. My brother's case was really bad. However, he is a big meat eater and was working outdoors overnight in Detroit last winter, so he drank a lot of tea and doesn't drink a lot of water. All of these factors added up as they are all causes of kidney stones, especially excess protein.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:04 PM

436 posts, read 809,136 times
Were you not referred to a urologist? If not, you need to see one. This is particularly true in view of the "dark brown blood." Your stone could be causing ureteral damage, or internal kidney damage. If so, it needs to be removed by ultrasonic Lithotripsy, or surgery.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,124 times
I'm dealing with a mother inlaw on dialysis and believe me no matter what age you are you don't want to deal with that. She love to travel and that is all over with as she has dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours each. I would see if a doctor could refer me to somebody els who could help, I sure wouldn't want to damage my kidneys

Old 11-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Were you not referred to a urologist? If not, you need to see one. This is particularly true in view of the "dark brown blood." Your stone could be causing ureteral damage, or internal kidney damage. If so, it needs to be removed by ultrasonic Lithotripsy, or surgery.
They did a CT scan, said my kidneys were functioning normally. The stone has passed out of the kidney they said, which is nice too. They said it was at the "uretal junction", whatever/wherever that is. Ive only urinated the dark brown blood once, ever since then my urine has been completely fine. They did a urine test and there was a little blood in there, which they said was completely normal when stones move. In any case, I never want to go through that again, it was the worst thing ever.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:30 PM

436 posts, read 809,136 times
Usually, this indicates the UPJ (uretero-pelvic junction). This is where the ureter (the tube connecting the kidney to the bladder) joins the pelvis of the kidney. This is a common site for stone impaction.

Keep tabs on this. It may come to the point here ultrasonic lithotripsy or ureteroscopy is necessary.

Ureteroscopy is the insertion (under anesthesia) of a rigid tube, through the penis or urethra, into the bladder, then up into the ureter. At that point, a laser is usually used to blast the stone into fragments, and allowing them to pass without incident.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness