Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 10:07 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times

Advertisements

I didn't know what I had was a hammer toe. For a few years it has felt like I was occasionally hitting the toenail on the ground and I just assumed I hadn't cut my nails recently. Then I got a sharp pain like the muscle on that toe was trying to contract. When I looked at it carefully, I saw that the toe was bent to the side and the edge of the nail was touching the ground. I guess I had never looked carefully before.

So I went to my podiatrist and he explained that was called a hammer toe. I had heard him say I had some of them before but I didn't remember what he had originally told me it was. While it can be treated conservatively, both of use felt I was past that point. He recommended a minor in-office procedure, which I had done about 10 days ago. First he sprayed a numbing liquid and then I felt nothing. I got an anesthetic shot and then he inserted a small blade on the bottom of the toe and severed the tendon that causes the toe to contract. No stitches, just a thorough bandaging of it. I had to keep my foot dry for a week. I had no pain at all. Now my toe cannot bend under. If I can figure out how to upload a photo from my Droid, I will post a photo of me giving you "the toe." LOL.

He explained that people with high arches (me) are prone to developing these deformities as they age. I have a few other, not so bad, that I will eventually have to take care of. He had explained that if I let it go too long, I would need same-day surgery to break and fuse the joint. This was so much easier! Hope this info helps anyone having the same problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness