U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,218,764 times

Advertisements

Interesting. I wouldn't be freaking out but I'd want more definitive answers, too. I think it's worth inquiring beyond your current medical team if you're so inclined.

Red's comment made me wonder - are any other women in her household menstruating?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

2,484 posts, read 3,622,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Interesting. I wouldn't be freaking out but I'd want more definitive answers, too. I think it's worth inquiring beyond your current medical team if you're so inclined.

Red's comment made me wonder - are any other women in her household menstruating?
I am going to thrid opinions for sure- just didn't know if anyone was or has experiance in this situation.

No other women- just her and I
She is NOT stressed about starting or not starting....she actually thinks nothing about it. All her girl friends have started and complain about mentrual issues....she just laughs it off.

I just want to make sure I am doing everything right- thanks for all the posters advice...

Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,682,774 times
If your daughter isn't concerned at all about it, I would have to wonder if she's been taking birth control, and just doesn't want you to know.

Some B/C pills will halt the menstrual flow entirely.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If your daughter isn't concerned at all about it, I would have to wonder if she's been taking birth control, and just doesn't want you to know.

Since so many girls start their period at around age 13, I think it's highly unlikely that such a young girl would be savvy enough to get herself to a doctor, one who would give her a prescription without parental knowledge or consent, and then would have the money and the commitment to pay for and take the pill for so many years - and that the blood tests wouldn't have revealed that.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM

10,333 posts, read 9,877,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
My daughter will be 18 in 1 week. Ever since she was 16 I have taken her to the doctor and GYN. We have done the ultrasounds everything looks good, we have done the blood work everything seems normal. We have done the vaginal check to make sure everything looked good down there (poor baby)- NOTHING-

GYN said to bring her back once she turns 18 and they will look further into it, and that although it is not common it is still normal to start later in life.

I was 14, most of my female family members were between 13-16. What should I do? Anyone have any ideas? Anyone know of any websites about this?
She needs to see a reproductive endocrinologist.

There is a cascade of hormones involved in producing a menstrual period. in order for that cascade to work properly, the hypothalamus in the brain, the pituitary gland, the ovaries, and the uterus have to all be present and working, with a finely tuned set of checks and balances.

Although we often think of reproductive endocrinologists in terms of the treatment of infertility, problems like this are also in their bailiwick.

The first step is to make sure there is actually a uterus present and that the vagina is not obstructed in some way, blocking the outflow of menstrual fluid.
That can be done with a simple physical examination and an ultrasound.

If the other secondary sexual characteristics, breast growth and underarm and pubic hair, have developed, then there are probably functioning ovaries. The ovaries will usually be visible on ultrasound, also.

Most of the other tests are done on blood. At some point, an imaging study of the pituitary gland may be suggested, depending on the results of some of the blood tests.

There are some rare chromosomal problems that can present with failure to initiate menstrual periods. Some of these produce physical characteristics that are so typical that the conditions are often diagnosed by pediatricians prior to puberty.

Here is an algorithm for the tests for primary amenorrhea. You can compare the tests your daughter has already had done and see where she is in the scheme:

http://www.arupconsult.com/Algorithm...Amenorrhea.pdf

Amenorrhea - ARUP Consult, Your Online Lab Test Resource

Amenorrhea - primary: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Edited to add: Note that ruling out pregnancy is the first step. Do not let that put you off. It is done because doctors who do not do it risk getting burned. Missing a pregnancy would be very embarrassing!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 PM

28,237 posts, read 21,185,036 times
OP. Here's an article that may be of informational value to you.
PERSONAL HEALTH - PERSONAL HEALTH - EFFECTS OF EXERCISE ON MENSTRUATION - NYTimes.com

Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 AM

10,333 posts, read 9,877,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP. Here's an article that may be of informational value to you.
PERSONAL HEALTH - PERSONAL HEALTH - EFFECTS OF EXERCISE ON MENSTRUATION - NYTimes.com
OP's daughter is not into heavy exercise. She is normal weight.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 AM

28,237 posts, read 21,185,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
OP's daughter is not into heavy exercise. She is normal weight.
Read the report. It's covers other variables too and makes some suggestions.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,682,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Since so many girls start their period at around age 13, I think it's highly unlikely that such a young girl would be savvy enough to get herself to a doctor, one who would give her a prescription without parental knowledge or consent, and then would have the money and the commitment to pay for and take the pill for so many years - and that the blood tests wouldn't have revealed that.
Different states determine the age of consent for birth control, and most teenagers know whether or not they -can- get it without parental knowledge/consent. In the state of Washington, for example, any minor child of -any- age, can seek and receive birth control from a licensed physician, without parental consent or even notification. In Oregon, the age is 15.

Generally, if a girl is having sex, or planning on having sex, or in a situation where she thinks she might have the "opportunity" to have sex in the future, she is of an age to wonder whether or not she'll get pregnant. And it is at that point that she (thanks to the advent of the internet and search engines) can find out whether or not she can get birth control legally without her parents knowing.

If this girl got her period at age 14, and just didn't tell her mom (which is entirely possible) and then at some point before she turned 15 got a boyfriend and started thinking about sex, it is very possible, and reasonable to consider, that she skipped school one day to go to the doctor and get a prescription.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM

2,484 posts, read 3,622,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Nope- she is not sexually active- this I do know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness