Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Meat equals saturated fat equals clogged arteries equals heart disease....personally, I've never heard a cardiologist recommend a patient eat more meat to reverse their heart disease the way Dr. Dean Ornish or Dr. John McDougall have reversed heart disease by changing a heart patient's diet...but my mind's open..if anyone can cite any studies or cardiologists' recommendations to consume more meat for better heart and artery health, I'd sure be willing to listen and learn.

Well the statement "Meat equals saturated fat equals clogged arteries equals heart disease" is a vacuous regurgitation of convoluted garble you have probably heard from various sources following the same kind of disjointed statistical wrangling performed by our so called medical experts out there.

First, not all meat cuts (especially lean cuts from grass fed beef as one example) contain a lot of saturated fat, so it is perfectly possible to have a diet including lots of healthy red meat low in saturated fat.

Second, "saturated fat equals clogged arteries" is a ridiculously trite, over simplified imperative statement of half-truth, which in practice clearly doesn't apply to a lot of people, especially those who eat saturated fat in moderation. So, the statement lacks credibility in a multitude of ways, as you can't even be bothered to explain it or provide any evidence in the form of studies to validate it. However, it is good that you claim to be so open minded. Yet that ridiculous opening statement would suggest otherwise.

This interesting article talks about the issue:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...against-cardio

"In March the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a meta-analysis—which combines data from several studies—that compared the reported daily food intake of nearly 350,000 people against their risk of developing cardiovascular disease over a period of five to 23 years. The analysis, overseen by Ronald M. Krauss, director of atherosclerosis research at the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, found no association between the amount of saturated fat consumed and the risk of heart disease. “If you reduce saturated fat and replace it with high glycemic-index carbohydrates, you may not only not get benefits—you might actually produce harm,” Ludwig argues"

"In 2008 Stampfer co-authored a study in the New England Journal of Medicine that followed 322 moderately obese individuals for two years as they adopted one of three diets: a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet based on American Heart Association guidelines; a Mediterranean, restricted-calorie diet rich in vegetables and low in red meat; and a low-carbohydrate, nonrestricted-calorie diet. Although the subjects on the low-carb diet ate the most saturated fat, they ended up with the healthiest ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol and lost twice as much weight as their low-fat-eating counterparts."

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 03-30-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Who eats red meat on a daily basis? I don't limit myself and consider bacon a basic ingredient of many meals, but even so I probably eat processed/red meat once a week.

And unlike smoking, which everyone seems to like to bring up as a comparison, there are health benefits to red meat. Unless you're experiencing or are at a higher genetic risk for the diseases associated with excessive red meat consumption, there's no reason why you can't enjoy moderate consumption of red meat.

Plus, life without steak would be so sad.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Who eats red meat on a daily basis? I don't limit myself and consider bacon a basic ingredient of many meals, but even so I probably eat processed/red meat once a week.
I eat approx. 1lb of red meat every single day.

I get severe chest pains every step I take, always out of breath, no energy, clogged arteries and blood pressure off the charts.

Oh, and I was making that second sentence up. I have an excellent cardiological profile and loads of energy. Very low LDL "bad" cholesterol levels. I suggest everybody starts eating 1lb of meat a day, they might lose weight and get fit like me!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
You know, you can find an article online stating just about every single edible thing is bad for you.

Just use common sense, that's what I do. I eat all colors of meat and fish (not just red) but I don't eat pounds at a time. I also eat a LOT of salad greens, nuts and only whole grains, very little refined sugar/carbs. And I like my wine!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You know, you can find an article online stating just about every single edible thing is bad for you.

Just use common sense, that's what I do. I eat all colors of meat and fish (not just red) but I don't eat pounds at a time. I also eat a LOT of salad greens, nuts and only whole grains, very little refined sugar/carbs. And I like my wine!
Gypsychic,

Me, too! That's the way I eat...and am fairly healthy...I need to cut back on the eggs though..when I switched from oatmeal to almost daily eggs for breakfast, my cholesterol made a big spike upward, giving me personal proof that what I eat makes a difference in my well-being. Once a month or so, I hanker for a great hamburger, which I make myself out of ground-round and I totally go for it!

I don't think all meat is bad--but I do think the typical American diet has been proven to be terrible with its highly processed, de-natured white carbs and high fructose corn syrup and additives and white flour and high salt and we're paying the price in ill health.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I love statements like "All" or "never" or "always."

Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Milk is bad for you

Why The Consumption of Milk is Harmful to Your Health « Agriculture Society

Apples are bad for you

Warning! Alert! Apples Are Harmful to Your Health! Forget Fruit Juice Too! | Independent Sentinel

Soy is bad for you

Why Soy is Bad

Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
haha - what did I tell you?

Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
I eat very little red meat because it triggers my gout...An Ouch experience that I can do without.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
I can do without veggies but can't live without red meat (much like my cat).
I even complained (and craved meat) for too many fish fridays for lent for DH....

One thing I try not to do is "processed" anything.
I like my food w/ as little handling as possible... if I can take that meat just hunted straight to my table... I'd have no problem w/ it at all.
Yes, I won't turn up my nose eating a still warm bleeding meat tartar style (w/ a raw quail egg on top) either... just give me enough booze & mustard oil to kill the bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness