U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,330,207 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am very interested in gaining insight on medical tourism. I have particular interest in Bumrungrad Hospital in Thailand.

I am especially looking to discuss with anyone who has personal experience.

Unfortunately, I am in need of a procedure that is $17,363.42 out of pocket for the facility fee alone - that does not include anesthesia or the doctor's fee. I'm having a very difficult time even getting an itemized listing of what all the associated costs will be with various medical facilities claiming that it cannot be produced in advance.

I'm disgusted and discouraged at this time and simply considering all of my options. I find it outrageous that a 20-minute outpatient procedure my own doctor described as "simple" and "fairly common" could cost me in excess of $20K - which I don't have.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,404,322 times
I have no personal experience with it but my ex went to the Dominican Republic to get his tummy tuck done and he was very happy with the results. The cost was about 1/3 of what it would cost here in the US and that included the price of the flight, and the hotel which was very nice.

A friend was traveling in Macedonia and had to have some dental work done, like a root canal maybe, which really upset him as he had no idea what the quality of care is like but he was glad to go in and find a nice sterile modern clinic with all the equipment, and he had his work done and another filling replaced that was loose and paid the bill in cash when he left, which was around $150 I think.

It sounds like you're doing your homework, which is wise, so I really don't think it's as bad of an idea as many would think--my ex in-laws were having a fit about the wasband going to have surgery in the DR--they were afraid he'd come back with one less kidney or something. Ex-MIL thought he was going to have a sex change. LOL.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Default See if you can negotiate

Ask the facility if it will accept what it would get from one of the major insurance carriers.

I had major surgery last year and the insurance paid less than $4K on a bill of about $32K. My share was about $1K.

What you are being quoted for an outpatient procedure sounds high. My bill included a four night inpatient stay.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,330,207 times
It's EXTREMELY high and very unreasonable. But that's the quote from multiple facilities.

Healthcare is an outrageous industry. It's an illogical pricing structure.

Sent you a DM.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM

998 posts, read 999,126 times
I have been thinking about going to Bumrungrad for major dental surgery. It will cost $10k here. Unfortunately it will cost $1,500 to fly round-trip & take 26 hours each way.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
I have been thinking about going to Bumrungrad for major dental surgery. It will cost $10k here. Unfortunately it will cost $1,500 to fly round-trip & take 26 hours each way.
It's also a really really REALLY stupid idea to fly the day after surgery, especially surgery in close proximity to your brain. Nothing like a little cabin pressure and recent incisions to get a lively aneurism exploding inside your skull. So, expect to stay there for at least a few days after surgery - which means around a week out of work, plus hotel stays, food, etc. etc. etc...and of course you won't be in any condition for sightseeing. And, here's the fun part: if something goes wrong, you have -no- recourse, because you're a visitor in a foreign country. It's not like you can sue them in civil court.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Hi,

I am very interested in gaining insight on medical tourism. I have particular interest in Bumrungrad Hospital in Thailand.

I am especially looking to discuss with anyone who has personal experience.

Unfortunately, I am in need of a procedure that is $17,363.42 out of pocket for the facility fee alone - that does not include anesthesia or the doctor's fee. I'm having a very difficult time even getting an itemized listing of what all the associated costs will be with various medical facilities claiming that it cannot be produced in advance.

I'm disgusted and discouraged at this time and simply considering all of my options. I find it outrageous that a 20-minute outpatient procedure my own doctor described as "simple" and "fairly common" could cost me in excess of $20K - which I don't have.

Thank you.
Your posting is not clear to me. Where are you having the trouble getting an itemized estimate? U.S. facilities or those abroad? My past experience in the U.S. was that medical facilities would rather not have you as a patient than give you an estimate of costs for a procedure.

I am American who emigrated from the U.S., but I have researched some places outside the U.S. used by American and Brits. I got an itemized estimate once I presented my symptoms, and the doctor was able to examine the tests I already had.

I qualify for Medicare, but they didn't cover the cost of the surgery and doctors, and as I do not live in the U.S. I have no Medigap insurance. Therefore, I looked at medical tourism. I ended up in Barcelona at the Hospital Quiron - a great place. The complete procedure, large private room with facilities for companion, five days in the hospital, five days in a hotel and five physiotherapy sessions cost me just about the difference between Medicare and the actual cost of U.S. surgery.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:55 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
IAnd, here's the fun part: if something goes wrong, you have -no- recourse, because you're a visitor in a foreign country. It's not like you can sue them in civil court.
You can hire the same lawyer that any local can hire, and the medical providers know that. And lawyers are a lot cheaper there, too.

But in the US, you can't sue if "anything goes wrong" either, unless you can prove that there was negligence, malpractice, or incompetence. Something can go wrong in any medical procedure, and the medical providers are in the clear as long as they did everything by the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness