U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 AM

18,535 posts, read 13,674,466 times

Advertisements

Has HIV and similar viruses been with us all along and were just never properly diagnosed? People have died of undiagnosed health problems since the beginning of time. Since HIV/AIDS weakens the immune system to the point where some other infection finally offs you I could see how this could happen.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but an STD discussion came up in another thread and since its a health related issue I thought this section would be the appropriate place to pose the question (Mod please move if you don't agree).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
I thought I'd read where HIV was an animal virus that mutated to humans.... so no, I don't think it has "always" been around, at least as far as affecting humans!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Looks like as early as 1908 according to this Nature article, but then again it could have made the jump before than and didn't take hold in the human population.

Tissue sample suggests HIV has been infecting humans for a century : Nature News

Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,639,160 times
Check this out. These two researchers say that the HIV virus had long existed in Africa but it was the spread of colonialism that triggered the infection to humans.

'Tinderbox': How Colonialism Shaped the HIV/AIDS Epidemic - YouTube

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Has HIV and similar viruses been with us all along and were just never properly diagnosed? People have died of undiagnosed health problems since the beginning of time. Since HIV/AIDS weakens the immune system to the point where some other infection finally offs you I could see how this could happen.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but an STD discussion came up in another thread and since its a health related issue I thought this section would be the appropriate place to pose the question (Mod please move if you don't agree).
No, I don't think so.

Researchers have basically pinpointed ground zero with AID's.

If I recall, it was a series of random events that collided to create this virus.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No, I don't think so.

Researchers have basically pinpointed ground zero with AID's.

If I recall, it was a series of random events that collided to create this virus.
Are you referring to the 1908 date and the town they mentioned in the link I provided above or some other information?

I look at it this way. I am a Scientist and I can only make predictions based on data I have. Considering the data surrounding the current HIV/AIDS virus only goes back so far (Lets say 1908), I coundnt see anyone saying with a high level of certainty that another strain of the virus didn't go "Viral" (Couldn't help myself) in previous centuries. With world wide travel in the hours compared with months in centuries past it's not odd that these viruses spread as they do today.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 04-12-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
Given standard STD epidemiology, the idea that an STD would persist in high transmissibility core groups with low virulence variants (that thus have a long duration of transmissibility) is not only plausible but is a reasonable default position. Studies that assume a certain rate of mutation and then generate a supposed date when virus A evolved from virus B simply assume what is claimed to be proved. Is the reduced transmission in circumcised men a wild coincidence, or is this a illustration of the saying "you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know you shouldn't stand under a rocket"?

In STD epidemiology, A=BxCxD where A=the rAte of new cases
B=the transmissibility coefficient (a constant for each disease, though different mechanisms of spread have differing numbers)
C=the numbers of contacts (the number of different people is what counts here, not the cumulative sexual acts--this may be counter- intuitive, but we're talking epidemiology, not individual risk here)
D=the duration of infectivity (how long the disease persists in a form that spreads to others)

(A>1 is an epidemic, A=1 is a threshold for the disease to persist in a population, and if A<1 the prevalence approaches but never reaches zero)
So this equation explains for example why gonorrhea persists mainly in high frequency core groups (e.g. Here, Prostitutes and their partners) due to antibiotics making the durationD) a matter of weeks, where it was years before, but herpes, genital warts, and chlamydia are the common prevalent diseases today (due to long duration will persist in the general population with a lower # contacts on average)

Given the relative infancy of virology, it is to be expected that a virus that is maintained in a core group (male homosexuals) --with relatively high transmissibity(anal intercourse) and relatively infrequent contacts (due to social restrictions)--through a long duration of transmissibility (I.e. It becomes manifest only after an interval of 10-20 years) would never have been recognized as a distinct entity. Individuals would die 20 years separate from the exposure with a variety of illnesses, such that observers would possibly make a vague connection at certain points, resulting in the social prohibitions, but nobody would tie all this together as a single disease. Remember, gonorrhea was only described in 1898.

Someday, someone will figure out how to test for HIV in long dead bones, but until then we should admit that the idea that HIV has been around for millennia is at least as plausible as hand-waving explanations involving people eating monkey brains in Senegal in 1918 (or is it 1933 or 1950?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness