U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,177 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Reputation: 40671

Advertisements

I've found that many people who are anti-cigarette have zero problem with smoke when firing up a joint, though.

 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,190 posts, read 5,737,092 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorldItsMe View Post
I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke either. When you are around someone that you can tell is a heavy smoker, you know that stale smoke smell? Just gag thinking about it. What is bad too, I enjoy going dancing and you go to clubs to dance, by the end of the night you smell like it. Then you either have to take a shower no matter how late it is, OR suffer the effects of a terrible headache from the smell in your hair being around all that smoke. Blah!
I gag when i inhale the chemicals that both women and men use on their bodies. Cologne and perfume and stinky deodorant and body wash and all of that nonsense is to me absolutely disgusting ... and it gives me a headache and many, many people are allergic to such chemicals (whether they know it or not .. and that includes the people who use the stuff).
And when it mixes with meat eaters and / or toxic people's body odor .... even worse! Yuck!
Ban that and then you can ban cigarette smoking outside.
But oh no, it's only cigarette smoke that is disallowed in many places now People are so brainwashed and fear-based that they think an occasional inhalation of second hand smoke outside is going to give them cancer and they're totally clueless about the harmful effects of the chemicals in all of their disgusting perfumes, colognes and deodorant and are totally apathetic about being forcefully proactive about air pollution coming from other sources and don't take responsibility for their own habitual waste of natural resources. Ridiculous!
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,383 posts, read 50,647,478 times
Reputation: 60290
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I smoked for years and years before I quit at new year's this year. Honestly the scent doesn't bug me so much except that sometimes it makes me want one again lol I have noticed that I've become a lot more sensitive to it though. Previously I'd walk into a place where people had been smoking and not even notice, but now I can sniff it out on somebody even just passing them in the street on their clothes. Now that I think about it in those terms it is kind of nasty...I don't miss smoking at all and quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself, I feel so much better!
Congrats on quitting. Today is four months for me. I still like the smell of it, though--the smoke, not the smell on people, which I do notice now.

I quit by having auricular therapy (it's similar to acupunture except they used an electrode gun thing and it was only one treatment). Before the treatment, the chiropractor gave us a one-hour seminar on things to fight the psychological addiction. One of them was that when you see other people smoking, don't allow yourself to be envious of them. Instead, look at them and say to yourself, "oh, those poor bastards."
 
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,572,711 times
Reputation: 2101
No. You are not the only one. Just look at the 50 million threads on this subject. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go blacken my lungs.
 
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55 AM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,480 posts, read 14,391,480 times
Reputation: 19530
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've found that many people who are anti-cigarette have zero problem with smoke when firing up a joint, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I gag when i inhale the chemicals that both women and men use on their bodies. Cologne and perfume and stinky deodorant and body wash and all of that nonsense is to me absolutely disgusting ... and it gives me a headache and many, many people are allergic to such chemicals (whether they know it or not .. and that includes the people who use the stuff).
And when it mixes with meat eaters and / or toxic people's body odor .... even worse! Yuck!
Ban that and then you can ban cigarette smoking outside.
But oh no, it's only cigarette smoke that is disallowed in many places now People are so brainwashed and fear-based that they think an occasional inhalation of second hand smoke outside is going to give them cancer and they're totally clueless about the harmful effects of the chemicals in all of their disgusting perfumes, colognes and deodorant and are totally apathetic about being forcefully proactive about air pollution coming from other sources and don't take responsibility for their own habitual waste of natural resources. Ridiculous!
rep points to you both.
I'll take the smell of pot or cigs over the odor of perfumes/colognes anytime!
 
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,057 posts, read 21,189,317 times
Reputation: 22530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I smoked for years and years before I quit at new year's this year. Honestly the scent doesn't bug me so much except that sometimes it makes me want one again lol I have noticed that I've become a lot more sensitive to it though. Previously I'd walk into a place where people had been smoking and not even notice, but now I can sniff it out on somebody even just passing them in the street on their clothes. Now that I think about it in those terms it is kind of nasty...I don't miss smoking at all and quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself, I feel so much better!
Bravo, I laud you on your journey. I was like you describe for a brief period, but now just smelling a smoker who's not even smoking is just nasty. Once you're past the first year, you will have a hard time imagining that you ever smoked before. Occasionally, I'll come to a point in my day when I'll think, this would be the perfect time for a smoke break, and then smile and remember I'm no longer enslaved by them.

Curious -are your lungs "cleaning" themselves? That lasted through over the first six months for me.

Keep up the great work, and hope you have someone to talk to if ever a bad craving hits you.
 
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,057 posts, read 21,189,317 times
Reputation: 22530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Congrats on quitting. Today is four months for me. I still like the smell of it, though--the smoke, not the smell on people, which I do notice now.

I quit by having auricular therapy (it's similar to acupunture except they used an electrode gun thing and it was only one treatment). Before the treatment, the chiropractor gave us a one-hour seminar on things to fight the psychological addiction. One of them was that when you see other people smoking, don't allow yourself to be envious of them. Instead, look at them and say to yourself, "oh, those poor bastards."
That's so encouraging to hear - yay! A friend of mine who quit before I did gave me a lot of pointers she learned from her support group. The one I used most often was a simple sentence - when you feel a craving, it will pass whether or not you smoke-so just don't. And it was so true for me.
 
Old 04-14-2012, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Camberville
11,405 posts, read 16,022,823 times
Reputation: 18079
Smoking used to flare up an asthma-like reaction in me, and I didn't think it could actually get worse. Then I got cancer and had my lungs damaged by chemo, and even the smell of cigarettes (among other things, but cigarettes is by far the worst) sends me into coughing fits. I can't be around people who do not change and shower after their last cig.

And I am not shy about letting cigarette smokers around me know what they are doing to my body. I could care less what they do to theirs - but when you are 2, 3, even 4 times older than me and still smoking, there is nothing that can calm my rage. Note - I feel the same way about tanning, but a person tanning only negatively impacts their health, not mine.
 
Old 04-14-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,480 posts, read 14,391,480 times
Reputation: 19530
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Smoking used to flare up an asthma-like reaction in me, and I didn't think it could actually get worse. Then I got cancer and had my lungs damaged by chemo, and even the smell of cigarettes (among other things, but cigarettes is by far the worst) sends me into coughing fits. I can't be around people who do not change and shower after their last cig.

And I am not shy about letting cigarette smokers around me know what they are doing to my body. I could care less what they do to theirs - but when you are 2, 3, even 4 times older than me and still smoking, there is nothing that can calm my rage. Note - I feel the same way about tanning, but a person tanning only negatively impacts their health, not mine.

other odors don't affect you in such a way?
 
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,601,984 times
Reputation: 1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Filtharette smoking and ALL that it entails..........yikes. The older I get, the less tolerant of this filth, pathetic. stinky addiction I am.

I live around lower income folks..............yikes, the smoking rate among these du**ies is probably around 80-90%...............sit around and chain-smoke all day.......one after another.
Yes, that is our problem, also. We live in some town out of 1970 where I would figure 85% of my neighbors in our complex smoke. It's so bizarre to see kids 12 and up puffing with no one reprimanding them. I guess you can't tell your 15 year to not smoke when you puff like a fiend.

Our next door neighbors smoke constantly. Thank God they don't have children to poison. We get the brunt of their sucky smoke in our apartment.

I hate it. We have no idea why people are so STUPID about this habit in 2012. We come from another part of the state where it's very anti-smoking. Then again, they just opened another smoke shop in this town. People need to keep these businesses out of neighborhoods. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top