U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Well, today the smokers were going full tilt. After a few weeks of not smelling anything it was HORRIBLE. I don't understand why we can go weeks with these people being home and it doesn't smell (except in the hallway) but other times it is horrendous.

I had 2 fans going plus my windows wide open. I couldn't stand in my kitchen. I don't like to cause problems but it's like they puff right under their cabinets which connect to mine or something. My husband has sealed off all the holes we can see but still it is terrible.

Smokers, you have no clue what other people SUFFER due to your habits.

The best you can do to make your situation bearable is employ a mulitpronged approach..........that does NOT include ASKING anything of the filtharette smokers....a waste of breath.

What I do it seal up my place as good as possible. Caulk up any cracks, plug gaps in the wall where you share common walls with the fil**y p**s. Also....and I know it sound gross, but I use air fresheners....they are not great, but they cover up a LOT of the stink. Air cleaners can be had cheap at 2nd hand stores( I just use cheap pre-filter material from Walmart and paper towels......almost as good as a HEPA filter.). You can get cheap plants that absorb filtharette smoke quite well.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinac19 View Post
Im pretty sure you are one of many! Most non-smokers hate cigarette smoke.
Since so many of my friends smoke, I learned a few tips:
- Always face the way the wind is going, the smoke will go another way and you wont be able to smell it
-breathe with your mouth if the situation gets horrible
- if your friends are smoking sit to their left cause smoke for some reason tends to go to the right
-to get cigarette smoke out of you hair put on some shampoo a few minutes before you get in the shower
hope it helps!

Haha, good ones. I mouth breath in my stinky apartment due to the p**gs all around me. But then I start tasting the filth and my throat gets sore.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:06 AM

841 posts, read 1,599,318 times
Yes, that includes, pot. I am not into smelling other people's drugs, either. I don't use alcohol or drugs.

We try to live a healthy lifestyle. That includes exercise, no drugs, no smoking, no alcohol.

Like I said, if people can contain their smoke, I don't care what THEY do. It's actually a violation of my lease to smell annoying odors from another apartment. I read it the other day when we were debating whether to move or go monthly on our place.

Because of circumstances we're here monthly now.

I'm looking into smoke free apartments but so far they are few and far between and they expect NON SMOKERS to pay more (like pet owners). I think smokers need to pay more. Their cigarettes foul up walls and carpets.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
SleepingInClass wrote:
Am I the only one who hate cigarette smoke?
I'd venture a guess that there are probably many other people beside yourself who hate cigarette smoke.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
NON SMOKERS have no idea how WE SUFFER because of your constant whining and complaining. I get tired of hearing it and I am a very courteous smoker but get blamed for anyone who smells a hint of smoke anywhere. I don't stay at some hotels because they are non smoking or I have to take the stairs to the second or third floor, I HAVE to go outside in extreme heat or cold but I also HAVE to be exposed to all of the non - smokers body odor, creams, perfumes, shampoo, soap and any other crap they decide to put on and I AM ALLERGIC to imitation citrus. So that imitation scented lotion the bank teller just put on THEN handled my MONEY causes me to break out in HIVES or her perfume makes me GAG or I have to go to a different line at the grocery when I want to pay for my items because of the body odor of the person in front of me. If you do not LIKE the smell of smoke when walking into a building GO AROUND and use a different door or DON'T GO IN. Smokers are out there because they HAVE TO BE not because they WANT TO BE and they only HAVE TO BE because all you non smokers who refuse to mind your OWN business whined enough to have LAWS passed. So when I am OUTSIDE taking a SMOKE break and YOU are still INSIDE because you don't smoke, don't complain, you got what you wanted.
I can genuinely understand where you’re coming from. I admit that I wear very strong deodorant for two reasons. 1) I am terrified of the smell of body odor—not just the usual avoidance most people have. I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell because I’m blind and formerly deaf, and even the slightest hint of B.O. triggers flashbacks to abuse (that was so severe it made me deaf while it lasted). So I really can’t handle the smell of B.O. on anyone, especially myself. 2) I spend my whole day close to people physically because I am blind and go to a school for the deaf, so I literally have to put my hand on other people’s hands just to have a conversation. I am sure that my deodorant comes across strongly to some people, and I am sure some people are even allergic to it. But I also don’t really feel like it’s something I can stop doing.

I don’t judge smokers for having their habit, but I do find the smell annoying. I know people have their reasons for smoking, and that’s their prerogative. Some smokers actually manage to do it in a way that it doesn’t bother me. For example, most of my sign language interpreters (who again have to be sitting right next to me to sign into my hand) smoke, but I manage to get through the day. So despite the fact that I hate the smell and I’m also allergic to it if people are actively lighting up (it gives me a migraine and causes me to start coughing and lose my voice if exposed to it long enough), I don’t tell smokers how to live.

It’s worth mentioning that it’s not completely “our way” either. If it was totally up to me, cigarettes, cigars, and weed wouldn’t exist, period. I’m sure some people wish that deodorants, soaps, and perfumes had no scent at all. But we all have to come to a point where we realize we’re not alone in the world and we will have to meet people in the middle, so that both our needs and their needs are met.

I feel like it's important for people on both sides of the issue to try to be compassionate instead of so judgmental. Try to understand what it's like to be them, and vice versa, and so that we can all be more flexible with each other, since at the end of the day, we all live in the same world.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can genuinely understand where youíre coming from. I admit that I wear very strong deodorant for two reasons. 1) I am terrified of the smell of body odorónot just the usual avoidance most people have. I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell because Iím blind and formerly deaf, and even the slightest hint of B.O. triggers flashbacks to abuse (that was so severe it made me deaf while it lasted). So I really canít handle the smell of B.O. on anyone, especially myself. 2) I spend my whole day close to people physically because I am blind and go to a school for the deaf, so I literally have to put my hand on other peopleís hands just to have a conversation. I am sure that my deodorant comes across strongly to some people, and I am sure some people are even allergic to it. But I also donít really feel like itís something I can stop doing.

I donít judge smokers for having their habit, but I do find the smell annoying. I know people have their reasons for smoking, and thatís their prerogative. Some smokers actually manage to do it in a way that it doesnít bother me. For example, most of my sign language interpreters (who again have to be sitting right next to me to sign into my hand) smoke, but I manage to get through the day. So despite the fact that I hate the smell and Iím also allergic to it if people are actively lighting up (it gives me a migraine and causes me to start coughing and lose my voice if exposed to it long enough), I donít tell smokers how to live.

Itís worth mentioning that itís not completely ďour wayĒ either. If it was totally up to me, cigarettes, cigars, and weed wouldnít exist, period. Iím sure some people wish that deodorants, soaps, and perfumes had no scent at all. But we all have to come to a point where we realize weíre not alone in the world and we will have to meet people in the middle, so that both our needs and their needs are met.

I feel like it's important for people on both sides of the issue to try to be compassionate instead of so judgmental. Try to understand what it's like to be them, and vice versa, and so that we can all be more flexible with each other, since at the end of the day, we all live in the same world.

I would agree with you IF Non Smokers would quit whining so much about it and drug users would not decide to drive and injure or kill others or alcoholics would not become violent........etc etc and the list goes on.

My rights end right where someone else's begin and I am supposed to be the one to cater to them? When do they cater to me? Almost never I can tell you that.

I get tired of hearing how "filerette" I am just because I smoke.........this coming from someone who hasn't bathed, brushed their hair, brushed their teeth or shaved for a week? Give me a break.

Also, the mere mention of "showering after EVERY cigarette" is just stupid and NOT practical. You expect everyone who smokes to shower when they are outside and have a smoke then come inside and sit within 10 feet of you at a restaurant? Check into reality soon and see that it will not ever happen.

Just lighten up and leave us alone for once and find something else to complain about but be sure and take a shower, brush your hair and brush your teeth before you do.

*NOT being specific to anyone as far as hygiene goes.*

Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM

841 posts, read 1,599,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

My rights end right where someone else's begin and I am supposed to be the one to cater to them? When do they cater to me? Almost never I can tell you that.
Okay, so who gives into whom?
I don't think someone who lives next to me should be allowed to smoke if this is seeping into my apartment.

I guess my rights are not important because they HAVE the right to smoke where as I have to either find a smoke free apartment (rare around here) or just deal with it.

I think places having smoke free buildings would be a good start. I live in an apartment complex with several buildings. I wish one of them was nonsmoking. It would be a win-win for everyone. The 85% of nicotine users could live in most of the buildings and smoke openly, in halls, in front of the buildings, while the other percentage of us could be smoke free.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Okay, so who gives into whom?
I don't think someone who lives next to me should be allowed to smoke if this is seeping into my apartment.

I guess my rights are not important because they HAVE the right to smoke where as I have to either find a smoke free apartment (rare around here) or just deal with it.

I think places having smoke free buildings would be a good start. I live in an apartment complex with several buildings. I wish one of them was nonsmoking. It would be a win-win for everyone. The 85% of nicotine users could live in most of the buildings and smoke openly, in halls, in front of the buildings, while the other percentage of us could be smoke free.

See, I warned you........trying to talk sense to Filthar**te Sm**ers is a losing battle. I know what you want, a little peace in YOUR home.....sorry, around these P**S......not going to happen.

I do not care if people smoke their brains out. 2 things that I do care about, having to breath the filth and the TRILLIONS of butts carelessly thrown anywhere and everywhere.

And yes smokers, I hate any other type of litter too. And NO, I do not regularly encounter people who reek horribly of Pahr-Fuhm or the like.....nice try though.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
And yes smokers, I hate any other type of litter too. And NO, I do not regularly encounter people who reek horribly of Pahr-Fuhm or the like.....nice try though.
wow..................aren't you the lucky one. How do you avoid it? It's everywhere I go.........perfume,perfume,perfume,colognes....... .nurses wear it in doctor's offices and hospitals ................everyone wears it every place I go. I have had 3 migraines this week and it's only Wed. due to having to smell perfumes while trying to shop and while getting a blood test. My nose is pouring snot,my throat is on fire and my head is pounding. Not once did I smell cigarette smoke while out and about though.....hmmm

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
wow..................aren't you the lucky one. How do you avoid it? It's everywhere I go.........perfume,perfume,perfume,colognes....... .nurses wear it in doctor's offices and hospitals ................everyone wears it every place I go. I have had 3 migraines this week and it's only Wed. due to having to smell perfumes while trying to shop and while getting a blood test. My nose is pouring snot,my throat is on fire and my head is pounding. Not once did I smell cigarette smoke while out and about though.....hmmm

Haha, are you a Sm**er?????

Well then, I am sure you would not be affected in any way except positive by the great stench of those great ci**ies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness