U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,388,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Haha, are you a Sm**er?????

Well then, I am sure you would not be affected in any way except positive by the great stench of those great ci**ies.

no need to be hateful to me. I merely pointed out how lucky you are to be able to avoid perfumes/colognes.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM

841 posts, read 1,601,628 times
What I hate about renting here is that we are at the mercy of the neighbors. I seems like they must sit and smoke right under the cabinets some times.

There seems no way 1 person smoking a cigarette on a sofa across the room (their apartment window faces the parking lot and they sit and watch tv all day) could make it stink so bad.

When they are both home together ALL day it's unbearable. 7 am-10 or 11 they puff away.

When you walk past their door to the communal hall it could knock you over with the odor.

One day I had the misfortune of leaving my apt. the same time as them. . Anyhow, they walked out and their apartment smelled like something out of Cheech and Chong, but substitute cigarette smoke for pot smoke.

It's just too bad they are good neighbors otherwise. Very quiet, never hear them or see them.

It's just frustrating I can't enjoy my apt.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:40 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,735,728 times
Get a good air purifier.
It's a drag that people smoke with no concern for other people but you just cannot control the situation. And yes, it's unfair.
Austin is one of the best.
Austin Air Official Website
I realize that you may not want to spend the money (and the best ones are costly) but what other solution is there?
If you want your home to be a sanctuary and you're tired of being miserable because of the cigarette smoke then you have to make an investment.
There's nothing else that you can do aside from moving.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,572,711 times
We still beating this dead horse? Come on. The non smokers are going to bash the smokers, the smokers are gonna get defensive, and you could literally go on and on and on for years fighting back and forth with reasons why one way is better than the other. The stench complaint gets countered with perfumes and things of the like (which is a very valid reason, I'd rather walk into a foggy room of cig smoke than be 50 feet away from some of these people who bathe in Axe), the "clean air" complaint gets countered with the harmful emissions from cars, the list goes on and on and on.

The problem rises when the non smokers start their complaining. Then because we have all heard it 50 billion times, us smokers fight right back. How bout this non smokers. Instead of bashing us, making demands, and trying to make us feel like the bad guy, next time you come across someone outside smoking, either stand away from the smoke, or politly ask if they can move themselves. Don't fake cough, mumble stuff under your breath at us, give us the "eye" or anything else that sets us off.

As for the apartment thing, unless it is a non smoking apartment, not much you can do cept get an air purifier. Or move. If there's a serious health issue, maybe try talking. Politely. Not every smoker is an ass. If they find that what they are doing is causing you actual problems, maybe they can adjust how they do it, such as smoking near a window instead of in an enclosed space.

A little politeness goes a long way people. Start being nice, and maybe nice things happen. Continue treating us like we are the bad guy, and we will continue to get defensive.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,238,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
We still beating this dead horse? Come on. The non smokers are going to bash the smokers, the smokers are gonna get defensive, and you could literally go on and on and on for years fighting back and forth with reasons why one way is better than the other. The stench complaint gets countered with perfumes and things of the like (which is a very valid reason, I'd rather walk into a foggy room of cig smoke than be 50 feet away from some of these people who bathe in Axe), the "clean air" complaint gets countered with the harmful emissions from cars, the list goes on and on and on.

The problem rises when the non smokers start their complaining. Then because we have all heard it 50 billion times, us smokers fight right back. How bout this non smokers. Instead of bashing us, making demands, and trying to make us feel like the bad guy, next time you come across someone outside smoking, either stand away from the smoke, or politly ask if they can move themselves. Don't fake cough, mumble stuff under your breath at us, give us the "eye" or anything else that sets us off.

As for the apartment thing, unless it is a non smoking apartment, not much you can do cept get an air purifier. Or move. If there's a serious health issue, maybe try talking. Politely. Not every smoker is an ass. If they find that what they are doing is causing you actual problems, maybe they can adjust how they do it, such as smoking near a window instead of in an enclosed space.

A little politeness goes a long way people. Start being nice, and maybe nice things happen. Continue treating us like we are the bad guy, and we will continue to get defensive.
I canít help but cough when Iím exposed to cigarette smoke. My throat gets really itchy and I start having a coughing fit. I usually ask them to please move away (if I canít move away myself) explaining that Iím allergic. Most of the time, the person smoking thinks Iím faking and just being a douche. What should I do if that situation arises?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I canít help but cough when Iím exposed to cigarette smoke. My throat gets really itchy and I start having a coughing fit. I usually ask them to please move away (if I canít move away myself) explaining that Iím allergic. Most of the time, the person smoking thinks Iím faking and just being a douche. What should I do if that situation arises?
Well as I said, most of us are so used to being treated like we are evil incarnate that after a while some of us start to assume even the more realistic coughs are fake. I have had it happen where a lady walked past me, started up an extended coughing fit, she had continued this "fit" the entire time she was in the store I was working at, only when ever I was in view of her, small store so you could pretty much hear everything that was loud from any point in the store. I was smoking outside for break so there was no way she was still breathing in fumes, it wasn't even me she checked out with, and then magically it stopped after she left the store. Because of people like this, yes, we get defensive, we get irritated fast. If there were less people like this, and more polite people, maybe we wouldn't assume you were all out to make us look bad and feel bad.

Now based on what you have said, I personally thank you for taking the time and effort to be polite to us, and I apologize sincerely on behalf of smokers everywhere who are just tired of the constant badgering and feel cornered by those who unlike you just wish to make us feel like crap. With a lot more people like you, maybe this war between us can finally end, disagreement may always be there, but this war is getting old, and I for one grow tired of it.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:58 PM

19,645 posts, read 53,581,730 times
Severs, if more people had your attitude we wouldn't have this problem. Both you and NimcNimchimpsky would be great to have around.

I don't like the odor that clings to heavy smokers and do what I can to avoid them but they have the right to smoke.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 PM

21,558 posts, read 26,166,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Well as I said, most of us are so used to being treated like we are evil incarnate that after a while some of us start to assume even the more realistic coughs are fake. I have had it happen where a lady walked past me, started up an extended coughing fit, she had continued this "fit" the entire time she was in the store I was working at, only when ever I was in view of her, small store so you could pretty much hear everything that was loud from any point in the store. I was smoking outside for break so there was no way she was still breathing in fumes, it wasn't even me she checked out with, and then magically it stopped after she left the store. Because of people like this, yes, we get defensive, we get irritated fast. If there were less people like this, and more polite people, maybe we wouldn't assume you were all out to make us look bad and feel bad.

Now based on what you have said, I personally thank you for taking the time and effort to be polite to us, and I apologize sincerely on behalf of smokers everywhere who are just tired of the constant badgering and feel cornered by those who unlike you just wish to make us feel like crap. With a lot more people like you, maybe this war between us can finally end, disagreement may always be there, but this war is getting old, and I for one grow tired of it.
Many smokers forget that the smoke clings to their clothing and hair. Even if you smoke outside, you bring it indoors with you. In a small space, the effect is considerable. In DH's office, I can smell a smoker from another room.

DH hates cigarette smoke because it makes his nose run. It happens if he is near a smoker even if the smoker is not smoking.

The laws against smoking have largely come about because smokers would not voluntarily take their smoking outside. Now, a considerable number of smokers, irked that they must go outside, refuse to step away from the doors to businesses and seem to take perverse pleasure in making everyone walk though their smoke to get in and out. When that happens to me, the smoke clings to my clothes and hair. Care to guess what happens to DH when I come near?

If you get dirty looks, maybe you really are too close to the door.

There is a simple way to end the war for yourself, isn't there? Quit smoking. You'll be healthier for it.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Many smokers forget that the smoke clings to their clothing and hair. Even if you smoke outside, you bring it indoors with you. In a small space, the effect is considerable. In DH's office, I can smell a smoker from another room.

DH hates cigarette smoke because it makes his nose run. It happens if he is near a smoker even if the smoker is not smoking.

The laws against smoking have largely come about because smokers would not voluntarily take their smoking outside. Now, a considerable number of smokers, irked that they must go outside, refuse to step away from the doors to businesses and seem to take perverse pleasure in making everyone walk though their smoke to get in and out. When that happens to me, the smoke clings to my clothes and hair. Care to guess what happens to DH when I come near?

If you get dirty looks, maybe you really are too close to the door.

There is a simple way to end the war for yourself, isn't there? Quit smoking. You'll be healthier for it.
Well the solution for you there is simple, if they refuse to move from the door, call the police, as it is also against the law to smoke within a certain range of the door. If you come across an anal smoker, by all means call em on it, not because they are a smoker tho, because they are an *******. Just like I shall continue to call the people *******s who give me dirty looks for smoking when I am in the middle of my own yard and they are walking down the street.

And enough with the "quit you'll be healthier for it" message. Seriously. If you don't think we already know this, then you've somehow been living in a dimension that doesn't have anti tobacco ads that play 50,000 times a day. It may be a fact, but when its constantly thrown in your face, it's annoying. Some of us are trying to quit, but it is hard to do.

And no, it wouldn't end the war for me, because until smokers and nonsmokers learn to get along, I will still have to hear about it on the forums here. It always pops up about once every 2 months. And always by a non smoker.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 PM

841 posts, read 1,601,628 times
I say stop sending mixed messages to people. The media is partly to blame.

The government says stop smoking, yet where I live, there are smoke shops all over the place. Why they allow these sort of businesses in the first place is beyond me.

The money/taxes from cigarettes funds the state, right? I am sure they like getting the money so they are hypocrites. They play a part in hooking people because they want that cash.

Kids underage can obviously buy cigarettes in this town. A kid in my building is no more than 15 or 16 and he smokes like a chimney. Then again, he's overall very unhealthy and I blame his parents. He is chubby, he is always smoking, doesn't go to school, and is always walking around with either a caffeine drink, sugary soda or energy drink.

I don't know if the schools even teach kids not to smoke here in my town. I wonder if it would do any good. It's a lower class area compared to the surrounding towns and there is a correlation between less affluent people and smoking.

I think this is just a losing battle, on both sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness