U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,569,719 times

Advertisements

You hit that one on the nose. Government tells us they want us all to stop smoking, yet I believe (in some places) that 75% of the price of a pack of smokes is tax. Yeah... they REALLY want us to stop smoking. We stop, and they lose a really good chunk of their income.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Well as I said, most of us are so used to being treated like we are evil incarnate that after a while some of us start to assume even the more realistic coughs are fake. I have had it happen where a lady walked past me, started up an extended coughing fit, she had continued this "fit" the entire time she was in the store I was working at, only when ever I was in view of her, small store so you could pretty much hear everything that was loud from any point in the store. I was smoking outside for break so there was no way she was still breathing in fumes, it wasn't even me she checked out with, and then magically it stopped after she left the store. Because of people like this, yes, we get defensive, we get irritated fast. If there were less people like this, and more polite people, maybe we wouldn't assume you were all out to make us look bad and feel bad.

Now based on what you have said, I personally thank you for taking the time and effort to be polite to us, and I apologize sincerely on behalf of smokers everywhere who are just tired of the constant badgering and feel cornered by those who unlike you just wish to make us feel like crap. With a lot more people like you, maybe this war between us can finally end, disagreement may always be there, but this war is getting old, and I for one grow tired of it.

Do you happen to smoke Camel, Kool or any of the other Menthol/flavored fil**arettes????? I ask because out of all the fil**arettes you could smoke, these types REEK the absolute worst.

Or maybe you are a chain smoker........one after another after another......if that is you........well........yikes.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Do you happen to smoke Camel, Kool or any of the other Menthol/flavored fil**arettes????? I ask because out of all the fil**arettes you could smoke, these types REEK the absolute worst.

Or maybe you are a chain smoker........one after another after another......if that is you........well........yikes.
And here we have a perfect example of those who badger us endlessly and put us down. Thanks for the example!

As for your question, your attitude doesn't warrant an answer.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Absolutely.
It's understandable and reasonable imo that people have issues with indoor cigarette smoke but re; outdoor smoke - and i've never used this expression before but - get over it.
And there are many other pollutants that are not only totally unnecessary but also as bad as if not worse than cigarette smoke.
Anyone who lives in a city for example is getting bombarded by all sorts of air pollutants and, relative to them, the occasional waft of cigarette smoke is irrelevant.

No, you GET OVER IT!

Why should I have to breathe YOUR filth? BTW, you people STINK! Even if you aren't smoking at the moment, even if you've recently bathed, its saturated in your clothes, hair, etc. I won't allow cleaning women, repair men, etc in my house that stink of cigarette smoke. Once they leave, the house reeks for days!

Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
You hit that one on the nose. Government tells us they want us all to stop smoking, yet I believe (in some places) that 75% of the price of a pack of smokes is tax. Yeah... they REALLY want us to stop smoking. We stop, and they lose a really good chunk of their income.

No, you aren't supporting the government by smoking! Even if all you cigarette smokers just QUIT, it wouldn't make any real difference in the government's budget.

The reason there's such a tax on cigarettes is to

1. discourage the practice
2. Make you smokers give back at least something for your Medicaid, disability, etc.

Sadly, it doesn't work Smokers will buy their "cigs" no matter what the price, even if it means going without baby food, diapers, fresh fruits and veggies, those "cigs" will always come first! I wish the govt would lower the price, the sooner they smoke themselves to death, the better!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 AM

And I rest my case. Thank you very much marylee, you've give the PERFECT example of why there is so much tension between smokers and non smokers. We mind our own business, and you flame us without even knowing who we are, even wish death upon us. I'd say I wish death upon you too, but knowing that with that kind of attitude you must live a sad and lonely life means living is more punishment for you.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:44 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,607,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I smoked for years and years before I quit at new year's this year. Honestly the scent doesn't bug me so much except that sometimes it makes me want one again lol I have noticed that I've become a lot more sensitive to it though. Previously I'd walk into a place where people had been smoking and not even notice, but now I can sniff it out on somebody even just passing them in the street on their clothes. Now that I think about it in those terms it is kind of nasty...I don't miss smoking at all and quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself, I feel so much better!
After I quit smoking and enough time had passed where I lost all longing for a cigarette entirely (a couple of years), I found cigarette smoke mildly pleasant. Then after some time that passed, but it didn't bother me. Now, almost 10 years on, I dislike it and have for 3-4 years now.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
OK, this thread has run its course and is now closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness