U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 18,606 times

Advertisements

I usually try to hold my breath and walk past the person smoking, but I always inhale cigarette smoke at least once. There are the occasional people who smoke at the bus station while the wind wafts the smoke right into your face. And finally, there is the rare person who sits next to you on the subway reeking of cigarettes. What really pisses me off is that this stuff happens on a daily basis and in different neighborhoods. Hope this doesn't offend anybody, but it's unfair to make everybody around you inhale your second hand lung cancer.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM

459 posts, read 584,920 times
Are you the only one who hates cigarette smoke?

No, no, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people do (including me). It's one of my least favorite smells. Cigar smoke, too, for that matter. I get where you're coming from, but i rarely run into people these days that smell like smoke or smoke. In fact, in California, it's illegal to smoke many places.
It is annoying and I wish they'd stop.
That said, you and I can do nothing about it. They have just as much a right to smoke that we have to NOT smoke. We cannot interfere with their life and their personal choices--we can only even the odds by making them smoke among themselves.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM

643 posts, read 1,728,492 times
I can't stand it either. I try to hold my breath and amazingly no smoker ever seems to notice. Only once has that happened. It happened at a bus stop and the guy noticed and moved further away from me. I was shocked at the consideration.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM

15,140 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Filtharette smoking and ALL that it entails..........yikes. The older I get, the less tolerant of this filth, pathetic. stinky addiction I am.

I live around lower income folks..............yikes, the smoking rate among these du**ies is probably around 80-90%...............sit around and chain-smoke all day.......one after another.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,494,602 times
I hate cigarette smoke too!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM

596 posts, read 1,379,123 times
I smoked for years and years before I quit at new year's this year. Honestly the scent doesn't bug me so much except that sometimes it makes me want one again lol I have noticed that I've become a lot more sensitive to it though. Previously I'd walk into a place where people had been smoking and not even notice, but now I can sniff it out on somebody even just passing them in the street on their clothes. Now that I think about it in those terms it is kind of nasty...I don't miss smoking at all and quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself, I feel so much better!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM

2,899 posts, read 8,303,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingInClass View Post
I usually try to hold my breath and walk past the person smoking, but I always inhale cigarette smoke at least once. There are the occasional people who smoke at the bus station while the wind wafts the smoke right into your face. And finally, there is the rare person who sits next to you on the subway reeking of cigarettes. What really pisses me off is that this stuff happens on a daily basis and in different neighborhoods. Hope this doesn't offend anybody, but it's unfair to make everybody around you inhale your second hand lung cancer.
How do you feel about automobile exhaust, smokestacks, acid rain, etc.?

You know, you could always stop breathing!

The air and the outdoors belongs to no one....

Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Au contraire!

The air and the outdoors belong to all of us.

The difference between cigarette smoke and other sources of atmospheric pollution is that cigarette smoke is totally unnecessary.

Reducing exposure to second hand smoke is just one of the things we need to do to make it easier for all of us to breathe easier.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM

1,739 posts, read 626,730 times
I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke either. When you are around someone that you can tell is a heavy smoker, you know that stale smoke smell? Just gag thinking about it. What is bad too, I enjoy going dancing and you go to clubs to dance, by the end of the night you smell like it. Then you either have to take a shower no matter how late it is, OR suffer the effects of a terrible headache from the smell in your hair being around all that smoke. Blah!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Absolutely.
It's understandable and reasonable imo that people have issues with indoor cigarette smoke but re; outdoor smoke - and i've never used this expression before but - get over it.
And there are many other pollutants that are not only totally unnecessary but also as bad as if not worse than cigarette smoke.
Anyone who lives in a city for example is getting bombarded by all sorts of air pollutants and, relative to them, the occasional waft of cigarette smoke is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.