U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM

38 posts, read 143,021 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a hot, humid country in Asia and have the opportunity of going to college in Chicago, but I'm worried about the weather. I heard that last winter wasn't harsh, but when I visited the city last August/September, my ears started to hurt in the cold wind. It was only September!!! Would it be silly to forgo UIC and go to school in the West Coast? Ear plugs don't always prevent the ear pain but wouldn't it be uncomfortable having to wear a winter cap from late August to March/April every time I'm out? Anyone else has the same problem?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:38 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
Mine do the same thing....cover your ears if you're going to be in the cold.....Sept. is a bit early, but if it's cold, it's cold!

Ear plugs won't do the job...you need to cover your ears....earmuffs will work, as will a cap that covers your ears. If this is happening in 50 degree weather, you should see a doctor....there may be something else going on. Being outside in 40 degree weather for extended periods will make my ears hurt, but above that temp...not so much.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM

479 posts, read 569,709 times
Are you talking inner ear or outer ear?? I get it in the inner even if its not so cold when the wind is blowing. I have thought its related to my Raynauds - but that is only a theory in my part - not confirmed by a doctor. Ear plugs, muffs or one of those headbands that cover the ears help.

Last edited by LCL111; 04-14-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 AM

38 posts, read 143,021 times
It actually happened when the temperature was in the 60's and it's the inner ear that actually hurts, so I've to go some place warm and it takes about half an hour for the pain to subside. Did you guys ever researched on this? There isn't many answers on the Internet but it seems like it's related to a change in pressure? Some people's nose bleed while others' ears hurt.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM

1,975 posts, read 2,791,704 times
If you consider wind in the 60s to be "cold," then stay far away from Chicago. For about half of the year temperatures in the 60s would be a warm day in Chicago. In the winter the temperature frequently drops below zero. The temperature is below freezing (32 degrees) for most of January and February in most winters. This year was much warmer than usual.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space115 View Post
It actually happened when the temperature was in the 60's and it's the inner ear that actually hurts, so I've to go some place warm and it takes about half an hour for the pain to subside. Did you guys ever researched on this? There isn't many answers on the Internet but it seems like it's related to a change in pressure? Some people's nose bleed while others' ears hurt.
My ears do that same thing. It doesn't have to be very cold, it's the wind that seems to cause the pain. I wear either a hat or a ski-band. I never looked into, because it hasn't negatively affected my life in any major way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness