U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times

Advertisements

I had a similar injury but did not have the swelling you describe.

The amount of swelling you have could certainly put pressure on the nerves in the wrist.

What did your doctor say about treatment and prognosis beyond the gabapentin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 02:28 PM
PW2

3 posts, read 91,127 times
SahS2

Sorry to hear you may have the same issues I am experiancing. If you are like me you will put in alot of work to get minimal gains...but...they are gains and that is better than the alternative.

My swelling has subsided. My ring finger and pinky (at the knuckles) are still significatly larger and both still have a slight bend to them. Not sure if I will be able to wear my wedding ring on that hand again without having it resized. My therapist said give it a year before taking it ot the jeweler. I have had good improvements overall but there is always stiffness in the fingers. The wrist (while no pain) is very limited in it's range. Like you...the stiffness still returns pretty quickly but the swelling-for the most part-seems to be a thing of the past.

I will list the improvements I have experianced. Keep in mind that I started with almost NO movment in any of my joints for my left arm. After some stretching and warm-up I can: touch the palm of my hand unassisted with the index and middle finger (it can somewhat "dig in" to the palm, yeah!) with minimal effort. The ring finger can finally touch also but it takes more effort. The pinky is lagging behind though it has made significant strides. I can stretch all fingers and force thim into a good fist but the second I let go of the index, ring and pinky they spring back out of the fist no matter how much I grunt and groan and try to hold the tight possition. My thumb while still stiff and limited has decent range and has become stronger thus allowing me to regain some functions with my hand. My dexterity sucks but it is vastly improved and I think it will continue to do so. My wrist has very little side to side action. The down and up action of the wrist is like the fingers and can be stretched to almost full range but my ability to hold the possition is not good. Also-like the fingers-the range gained after stretching is short lived and that is very frustrating. I cannot pull the wrist back under it's own power very far at all, even after warm-up. The downward action is more painful during stretching (it has brought tears to my eyes) but I have the power to hold it better.

The elbow seems normal until I try to do overhead lifting. It is weak and starts to shake but with time I know that will get better. My shoulder is virtually back to normal.

My consistancy as of late with my home excersizes has been almost non-existant. I became so burnt out because of the hours I was putting in. I hope that doing the day to day stuff and getting back into my weight lifting routine + an occassional therapy excersize will be enough to continue function gains.

In hind sight I did not have much "injury" associated pain but my hand constatly felt like I had knocked my funny bone, an EXTREME heat sensation type pain in my hand and lots of numbness. The swelling also caused me pain, mostly in the joints but I never felt the pain was at the injury site.

Did you have any of these sentations?

What is the purpose of the Gabapentin?

I wish you the best in your recovery!

Curious...How did you fracture your wrist?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,758 times
help
i am three weeks after an operation for a fractured radius and ulna in my right /dominant hand
plate and screws
i have swelling and severe stiffness
they want me to do painful occupational therapy to bend the wrist/hand/fingers but what i'd like to know is
is the pain worth it?
if i don't keep trying to make my wrist bend backwards, which is painful and seems not to help , will my wrist eventually regain flexibility anyway?

Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshana007 View Post
help
i am three weeks after an operation for a fractured radius and ulna in my right /dominant hand
plate and screws
i have swelling and severe stiffness
they want me to do painful occupational therapy to bend the wrist/hand/fingers but what i'd like to know is
is the pain worth it?
if i don't keep trying to make my wrist bend backwards, which is painful and seems not to help , will my wrist eventually regain flexibility anyway?
No! You must do the exercises as often as they prescribe. If the pain is that bad, see the surgeon again.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-07-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM
PW2

3 posts, read 91,127 times
Shoshana 007

Is NORMAL use of your hand WORTH IT????

Definatley do what they say. What flexability I have has been hard fought for. Take it from me...it's tough but I wish they would have started mine at 3 weeks...at 6 weeks CRPS had set in and I had NO movement. It has now been 19 1/2 weeks (20 painful physical therapies) and my range of motion in the wrist is still limited. I have had to work my butt off to get what motion I have. After surgery I stashed a few pain pills and I would take a half of one about 1/2 hour before my PT appointment and it helped take the edge off. I am no baby but I literaly had to fight back the tears during my sessions! It felt like she was going to break my wrist again. Hard to beleive but I am so thankful for the hurt she put on me.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM

693 posts, read 2,563,027 times
Default update

I am the OP. It's been 20 months since my injury. I would say that I have about 98 % use of my hand now. Inside of my wrist where incision was is still noticible but not troublesome. I had frozen shoulder 6 months after injury which resolved after 3 PT sessions.

Just this week I was able to wear my rings again but it took all that time for my fingers to return to normal. I am glad I did not have them re sized. Over all I am happy with my recovery. It takes time and patience .

Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 10,656 times
I fractured my distal radius and ulna, i was manipulated into place and put in a cast for 6 weeks. The cast was set in a weird angle so i was unable to use my fingers and always had really bad ulna sided pain My consultant did weekly xrays but said i didnt need operation. After cast was removed i had terrible swelling and really painful and pt says i have crps so pt told me to take to gapapentin so i can work through the pain. Luckily for me i have a friend who is a theatre nurse for upper limb and she got me a second opinion. i have just had an operation 12 weeks since initial break to have my carpel tunnel released and my wrist rebroken and a plate put in due to the dorsal angulation being at 30 degrees even though my first consultant told me it was 17 degrees. It will be at 18 days after that i get my stitches removed and taken out of hard cast and put in a splint, being back in hard cast is hell my fingers are bent and stiffening each day and the sensations round my wrist are awful. i start pt again 3 days after cast is removed and im absolutely dreading it. I never dreamt that a broken wrist could cause so much pain and hassle

Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM

127 posts, read 187,429 times
i am almost 6 weeks past break and surgery (plate and 9 screws) and still in severe pain and significant swelling of fingers and hand, called my dr. and he says it is normal, i can't lift anything heavier than a napkin with my fingers, still have hard cast on which feels way to tight, my elbow was badly bruised and swollen until a week ago. 2 days i see the ortho doc again, i pray this cast comes off. i can't take the pain anymore and am terrifed of PT. Glad to see you have made vast improvement! l
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
I am the OP. It's been 20 months since my injury. I would say that I have about 98 % use of my hand now. Inside of my wrist where incision was is still noticeable but not troublesome. I had frozen shoulder 6 months after injury which resolved after 3 PT sessions.

Just this week I was able to wear my rings again but it took all that time for my fingers to return to normal. I am glad I did not have them re sized. Over all I am happy with my recovery. It takes time and patience .

Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 14,466 times
I had wrist surgery done too 4 weeks ago just started therapy my pain is still terrible! Anyone else still have this much pain? I have plate and screws as well

Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 PM

2,137 posts, read 2,155,534 times
I had the same injury. It happened to me while traveling overseas....airplanes foreign doctors etc. When I returned I was immediately taken for surgery. Now I have metal plates.

It takes a few years to heal. Even then you will get weakness in your wrist if you carry heavy items or try to push yourself off the floor etc. You will adapt to the changes eventually.

In my case it meant no more push - ups which broke my heart. To this day riding a bicycle can be hard on my wrists.

You deal with what your are dealt...not much else to do.

Know however that it takes A LONG TIME for your wrist to heal...A LONG TIME.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness