U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:52 PM

127 posts, read 191,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo1980 View Post
i am almost 6 weeks past break and surgery (plate and 9 screws) and still in severe pain and significant swelling of fingers and hand, called my dr. and he says it is normal, i can't lift anything heavier than a napkin with my fingers, still have hard cast on which feels way to tight, my elbow was badly bruised and swollen until a week ago. 2 days i see the ortho doc again, i pray this cast comes off. i can't take the pain anymore and am terrifed of PT. Glad to see you have made vast improvement! l
I knew something was not right, seems 2 screws have backed out and the bone that was not plated & on the ulner side of my break it's rubbing on another bone causing me very bad pain..still, almost 4 months later & I have to have the plate & screws removed, some bone on the other sde shaved down..this sux, I still have almost NO use of that wrist, hand or arm,no pronation or suponation 17 P.T. sessions later & I start all over again!

Last edited by jojo1980; 03-23-2014 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 PM

22,069 posts, read 26,978,703 times
Quote:
I knew something was not right, seems 2 screws have backed out and the bone that was not plated & on the ulner side of my break it's rubbing on another bone causing me very bad pain..still, almost 4 months later & I have to have the plate & screws removed, some bone on the other sde shaved down..this sux, I still have almost NO use of that wrist, hand or arm,no pronation or suponation 17 P.T. sessions later & I start all over again!
Sorry to hear that, Jojo.

I would not expect the recovery from what you are describing to be as difficult as recovering from the fracture, though.

Best wishes for a successful procedure.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 15,160 times
P.T. sessions are the worst! ! 5 weeks since my surgery 6 pt sessions still very little movement lots of pain still!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM

127 posts, read 191,510 times
Quote:
i am almost 6 weeks past break and surgery (plate and 9 screws) and still in severe pain and significant swelling of fingers and hand, called my dr. and he says it is normal, i can't lift anything heavier than a napkin with my fingers, still have hard cast on which feels way to tight, my elbow was badly bruised and swollen until a week ago. 2 days i see the ortho doc again, i pray this cast comes off. i can't take the pain anymore and am terrifed of PT. Glad to see you have made vast improvement! l
thanks, turned out 2 of the screws backed out, one was pushing into my joint, the other near the tendon..ouch is an understatement, had my 2nd surgery to remove the plate, screws and wrist joint 2 weeks ago and can feel the differance already, all the PT sessions i did in the last 2 months were for nothing pretty muchas i am bac in soft cast for a few weeks, then i will start PT AGAIN. Right Now although it feels better than 1st surgery, my wrist, elbow and shoulder feel like wood..hoping 4 the best for everyone here

Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,063 times
After distal radius multi fracture I had big metal 'claw' implanted in my very tiny wrist. From the start it has felt as though I have a metal vice squeezing my wrist intensely, like a tourniquet, with my skin stretched and wrist swollen. 5 weeks on it is still excruciating, though I have more mobility. Anyone else experience this symptom?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,043 times
OMG, I broke my wrist on 7/13/14 and surgery on 7/17. I am so swollen. Do PT and hours later (even though I am constatntly trying to move and stretch as instructed, I cease up, mostly from swelling. Both sides of my hand, finger swelling is improving...

Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 PM

30,050 posts, read 32,607,284 times
I had something similar with the external device, top and bottom, too. I experienced swelling off and on for about a year. It wasn't really bad toward the end but I didn't wear my wedding ring, which had to be cut off in the ER, for 2 years. Fortunately I didn't have a whole lot of pain after the first couple of days.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,759 times
I broke my wrist on August 8, 2014 from a fall. Because of swelling they couldn't operate till August 15th. My radius was split into two and my ulna was chipped at the top. I got a Y shaped titanium plate, 3 screws and 8 pins put in. I was in a cast for 2 weeks then a hardened removable splint that, as of now, don't have to use around the house or in physical therapy but told to wear it when I go out. I have been thru 22 PT appointments so far and still not able to make a fist (close but not yet), swelling in fingers and upper hand, joint pain is sometimes unbearable. They started to be aggressive in therapy as my doctor told me I got to bite the bullet and bear it. Since then I started experiencing more pain and swelling which now they stopped my stretching on my wrist till my doctor sees me this week for evaluation. Sometimes it feels my fingers and joints can't take no more. My question to everyone...how long to I have to bear this? Will I ever be the same?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,506 times
Is it worth the pain, you bet. I am starting my 5th month. My wrist and hand is still really stiff when I first get up but I take my Gabapentin and Percocet and start the movements. It takes about a hour but we get going and it is getting better each day. I have a plate and 10 screws in my left wrist after a fall. I am still going to PT 2 times a week and working out a lot at home. Can not wear my wedding rings yet but soon I hope. I am 68 years old and things mend a little slower but refuse to give up. Let your PT know about the pain should stop before it brings any tears.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
I broke my distal radius wrist on 3/30/15, had surgery on 4/9 due to swelling, stitches to be removed on 4/24. I had a plate and six screws. My question is "When does physical therapy begin?" I am now in a removable wrist brace, and after reading some of these posts and am glad to say that I can almost make a fist. Still in quite a bit of pain and taking Norco 5mg every 4-6 hours. I deliver mail and am told that I might be able to return to work in 6 weeks without weight restrictions. I'm bored to tears and ready to return to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness