Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times

Advertisements

I shattered my wrist on December 28th 2017 and had it operated on January4th 2018. I have a plate and 12 screws. I got to physical therapy twice a week and it is now May 3rd 2018 and I still suffer from swollen stiff fingers and I still don't have full mobility. It is my right wrist and I am right handed. the surgeon still says 100% recovery in 18 months it was originally 12 months. Good luck all and hope things work out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
"they" don't know how much time it takes for each individual to do their healing. The doctors have to keep patients optimistic for starters, I'm headed to 7 yrs post op on hip replacement and deal with 3 major complications. Will it get improved for me, have no idea. Same goes for you..Johlon....sure hope you get a lot more recovery. 100% that would be great.

I just read thru the whole thread sorta and omg the issues. Do everything NOT to fall, of course.

Hoping more healing has taken place from the posters here.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-03-2018 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 PM
KG7

1 posts, read 3,091 times
I trip and fell on Sept 30th and fractured my left radius and ulna bones. I was put in a splint and sling until I saw the surgeon on Oct 5th. I was advised I needed surgery and had it the next day which was a Saturday. Something about my bone was 37 degrees off or twisted. I just remember the 37 degrees. Since i had been having some tingling and weakness in my hand went ahead and also had a carpal tunnel release surgery while i was having plates and screws put in. I saw my surgeon on Oct 19th to get my stitches taken out my fingers/wrist were still swollen. My palm was hurting I felt like I was getting stabbed there. This pain is still bothering me to this day. My wrist still hurts. I have pains in my forearm and shoulder off and on. My thumb feels numb at the tip. I started OT on Oct 25th 2x a week. I cant make a fist. I can only move my fingers so far. I have a drop wrist. I went to see my surgeon this past week and he tells me this is not from surgery. I have CRPS type 2 and he call and is having me see a pain management DR and that I have nerve damage I guess this happen when I fell. I will probably have to have a nerve block or injections he was telling me. I did had a nerve block when I had surgery. I don't know what to expect. I don't know why my surgeon made that phone call. He did start me on Gabapentin which I think is starting to help some. I'm thinking it hasn't even been 2 months since I fell. Has anyone experience this with there surgeon? I don't know if he cares and is getting me help or what is going on. I am 54 and this is my first time breaking a bone. My surgeon thought I would be back to work by Nov 30th but since I really cant use my left arm its impossible. Any advice anyone could give me I would appreciate it. I just look at my left wrist and arm and get sad. My therapist still has me wearing a removable splint since I still have swelling in my hand plus with nerve damage I guess. I can take it off while I am at home but wear it at night and when I am out. Been in it since Oct 19th.

Last edited by KG7; 11-21-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 07:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Any time we have our bodies cut, it can take months/yrs for an adequate healing. People just don't realize this and expect almost quick results...not gonna happen.

The nerve damage is also from surgery and I never had nerve damage before I had hip replacement in 2010, so it's 8 yrs post op and I deal with all the challenges and complications from what I felt would be a good answer for me, what did I know..I never had a surgery like this before in my life and I was 72. Today at 80, live with a pretty disabled surgery mess.

Hope you heal more and more KG7, but the body doesn't rush this stuff.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,916 times
Default Wrist swelling after surgery

I too have the same issues after broken wrist surgery. I suffered a broken wrist after falling off a motorized scooter on November 28, 2018. My surgery was December 10th. My cast came off January 28th. My first therapy date was January 31, 2019. My wrist bends forward okay, but due to continued swelling, it does not move backward at all. I continue to have swelling after removing the compression glove.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
I had radial wrist surgery 5 weeks ago! Surgeon said bone is aligned well, fracture didn’t heal on 4th week Xray, I can make fist , supinate with difficult a
Nd pronation with no limitation, little pain in wrist at times, does any one no if it’s going to weight bearing after six weeks.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:22 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My broken wrist View Post
I had radial wrist surgery 5 weeks ago! Surgeon said bone is aligned well, fracture didn’t heal on 4th week Xray, I can make fist , supinate with difficult a
Nd pronation with no limitation, little pain in wrist at times, does any one no if it’s going to weight bearing after six weeks.
No one here can answer your question on weight bearing

There was also never a chance the wrist would be healed at 4 weeks. It takes 6-8 weeks minimum for fracture healing and several months to be anywhere close to normal

We typically tell patients it takes a year to fully recover from wrist fracture surgery

Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,487 times
I incurred a colles fracture on my dominate right wrist. I had surgery 4 months ago, went to PT but the numbness and weakness progressed. It has increased so much that at night I’m frequently awakened to the whole hand feeling on fire. During the day I feel a constant numbness with frequent sharp shooting stinging sensations, as if I’m being stung by a wasp. I keep a water bottle at my bedside so as soon as I wake up I can take 1000 mg aspirin and a couple Alene or Advil. I work full time as a RN so I do a lot of lifting and boosting. Looking back, I did not go to a hand surgeon but a sports/pain orthopedic surgeon, that was my first mistake. I feel like my complaints are not taken seriously and with this type of pain it can ONLY be from the plate/screws compressing my medial nerve. I’m at my wits end. Today I have an appt. with my PCP to see if she can facilitate a nerve conduction study and send me to a Hand Surgeon.
Why didn’t the surgeon go ahead and cut the carpe tunnel to begin with? It seems many surgeons do this anyway. Surgeons that know what they’re doing, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness