U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
6,302 posts, read 10,466,453 times

Yesterday, I was reaching into a drawer full of paper.. including the standard type of paper AND the thick type that makes business cards, index cards, etc.

I was on "autopilot" reaching into the drawer and not paying much attention while doing something else (multitasking) when I felt a sharp pain under my nail.

It seemed like my finger was aimed at the perfect angle while I reached into the drawer. My finger ended up poking the corner of a small index card or something and the corner ended up jabbing right underneath my nail.

I didn't see any blood.. but the pain was extremely excruciating that I was expecting blood. The people around responded with awe when I yelled in pain.. they don't seem to understand the nature of this injury (and frankly, I really don't know how to describe the unique circumstances that led up to it.)

Nevertheless, over 24 hours later, my finger is still in constant pain and feels quite swollen due to being jabbed underneath the nail by paper (and despite all that, no blood.)

Do I need to attend to nail injuries like this in a special manner? Because I rarely have them but it seems unusual the pain has not subsided for so long.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM
16,323 posts, read 18,478,508 times
I have had this and there's been no bleeding it goes away in 2 days. It could be a bad paper cut. Soak the nail in peroxide and take some tylenol. I don't think you should worry at the moment unless the swelling is still there after tomorrow and there is puss.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
5,002 posts, read 12,088,435 times
Just wait it out...it will go away eventually. You probably cut the nailbed away from the skin. Keep it clean, and give it time. Yes...it hurts like crazy!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 AM
1,153 posts, read 1,493,920 times
Been there, done that, hurts like a SOB. Only real thing to do is wait it out, might take a day or two but it will go away on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or