U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,508,535 times

Advertisements

I've heard that taking magnesium can help:

Five Common Nutrient Deficiencies | Mark's Daily Apple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 12:00 PM

3,313 posts, read 3,314,288 times
From what I've gathered from joining some Facebook groups, many people suffer night and day, some in pain, some so extreme they almost go insane. Me, I just feel like my legs want to dance when I go to bed at night. I get up and stretch, and that usually does the trick. I've found that the more often I eat spinach and bananas, the less often I have RLS.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM

265 posts, read 301,758 times
I've had it my whole life. I find that if I allow myself to constantly move my legs, like walking and pacing around as often as possible throughout the day, that it is very minimal/nonexistent at night when I lay down to sleep. So it seems to me that it is directly correlated to how much activity/exercise I get during the waking times.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,374,520 times
Gabapentin

Old 10-30-2014, 12:51 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=restful+legs

This product works great for me and you can sometimes find it at Walgreens or CVS so you won't have to order it online.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I've heard that taking magnesium can help
I've tried to get her (DD) to take magnesium already for menstrual cramps. Said it didn't help (after only about a week) and quit. Haven't told her they may help restless legs....maybe she'll try again.

Couldn't get her to take iron even though her gyn said she was slightly anemic (her diet is terrible, she's very picky). Label said it might cause stomach upset and she said she already has enough of that. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Gabapentin
Don't really want to go down that road, but thanks for trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This product works great for me and you can sometimes find it at Walgreens or CVS so you won't have to order it online.
Thanks, I may look for some....I read about it and it has good reviews from people who have taken it, but I also found sites putting it down, saying it was nothing but sugar because the "homeopathic" dosages are so low as to be nonexistent. Who knows? If it's a sugar pill and it works, so be it. Probably would not work as a placebo for DD, though, as she has tried so many things for all her discomforts, and they really have to actually work for her to say they work. Placebo effect doesn't seem to work on her.

She has the "restless legs" feeling in her arms and wrists also. Anyone else ever heard of this? I haven't. The other night she had it just in her ankles. I tried rubbing them for her, but it didn't help. Doing squats for RL has always helped me (I have them just occasionally) and it used to help her, but now it doesn't.

There is a new thing called the Relaxis device....it is pretty much a vibrating pad that is supposed to relieve RLS. You just place it under your legs and somehow it short-circuits the RLS. Cost is around $750, though, and I would bet that no insurance would cover the cost just yet. I wonder if a vibrating pillow, maybe the kind made for relaxing your feet, would work?

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 10-31-2014 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM

192 posts, read 205,590 times
Almost every post here aligns with what I believe - that RLS is muscle tension. Stress causes "fight or flight". The brain sends signals to the body to move, but we're at a desk, or watching the news, etc and the tension builds up.

What works for me is tense exercise: heavy weights. Also "tense at relax": laying down and tensing the legs for 7 seconds and relaxing them for 30.

Also cold water helps.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM

19,636 posts, read 53,511,196 times
My doctor said that they find a higher % of people with RLS have had back injuries of some kind, some years ago. Correlation but not necessarily causation. I take a prescription drug for it. If I have been walking a lot, I have to take one pill eawrlyier than normal, then another at bedtime. Works perfectly. Something generic that I can never spell, like pamprexizole.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 AM

1,677 posts, read 3,612,543 times
My grandmother has been on everything for RLS. She recently tried an edible (a candy that had a low dose of THC/marijuana) and it worked. We live in a state where it's legal. She was very resistant to the idea at first, but she took it a little while before she went to bed, and Voila... She wasn't woken up by the RLS. We're not completely sure if it was the edible or not due to she has a Rx for the RLS, she's on Mg+ and zinc. I think it helped whether it was due to the edible putting her in a deeper sleep state or it took the restless in the RLS away.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 730,887 times
UGH I have RLS and it gets worse the older I get.
It started at age 10 and I am in my 40s now. It got much worse when I quit smoking (dopamine dried up with the nicotene). I want to throw myself off a building some nights.

I take mirapex and have the gambling addiction side effect. yea me. It did take years though to get there. I tried acupuncure, did nothing. The ivory soap under your mattress pad - remember that one?

You all have mentioned some stuff I will try now/again. Especially that pillow thing.

Yes I've heard of the "restless arm" thing. Only felt it there once or twice.

I would like to get off the drug, I cant afford the side effects, although I do sleep better.

The RLS comes at 10 am, 3 pm, then in the evening. It isnt just at night anymore.

People can say take walks or whatever but for some of us there comes a time when nothing helps but hardcore Parkinson drugs. I kick all through my sleep too without the drugs, waking up every 1-2 minutes all night. Yeah me.

Oh, and I've never had that mouse sensation. A ghost cat does jump on my bed sometimes and curls up, does that count?

For those that found relief, congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness