U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,778,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
You can't be addicted. That's a bunch of crock.
If marijuana is addictive, it MUST be a gateway drug too, right? Get out of town.

Maybe it's different with different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,878,078 times
To me stopping smoking MJ was not a real bad experience, the pain caused by my Glaucoma came back, next to impossible to sleep. Then the bottom fell out, went to the emergency room, heart attact had a quadruple bypass, diagnosed with COPD and 40% of my liver still working.
Doc said in real plain simple English, you don't stop smoking you're going to die.

I have been trying to stop now for almost 10 years, and then I hit a brick wall.

I know good pot is being cultivated and sold in CA. If if were sold here it would replace at least 6 of the medications I'm on now for considerably less money.

MJ IMHO does not turn people into deranged violent madmen, destroyers of property or killers.

What MJ has done is line the coffers of town/cities/states and our government and been disenfranchising from the baby boomers to whatever the current generation is being called.

It calms the soul, relaxes muscles and people are much more agreeable to sit down and discuss points rather than stand and scream at each other....

Off my soap box now...

Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 AM

26,972 posts, read 38,219,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Gabapentin? That's the generic name of Neurontin. I was prescribed that which was gradually increased to 1800 mg/day to supposedly act as a block to help soothe nerve pain. There are a number of applications for the med. For me, it never helped me and wasn't exactly cheap, so it was discontinued. When discontinuing Neurontin (gabapentin), you're suppose to gradually reduce it over a period of a week or two, maybe depending on the dosage you're taking. There can be some pretty nasty side effects to it. That doesn't mean everyone experiences any serious or lethal side effects, but it should still be used with caution. The article said the 12-week trial involved 50 people at does of 1200 mg/day. A larger trial was expected, along with a trial of some unspecified "novel drug". I don't know, but it seems like a weird suggestion to discontinue a marijuana habit.

Neurontin (Gabapentin) Drug Information: Description, User Reviews, Drug Side Effects, Interactions - Prescribing Information at RxList

Neurontin (Gabapentin) Drug Overview of Side Effects and Precautions for Patients and Caregivers at RxList

Gabapentin (Oral Route): Side effects - MayoClinic.com
I first took it when I had shingles and it was a life saver. I can't imagine what having shingles in your eye and across your head would be like without it.

I continued taking it because it relieved my sciatica, peripheral neuropathy, and what one doctor diagnosed as Fibromyalgia. Except for the irritability it was a miracle drug for me. I had no other side effects.

With insurance it was inexpensive compared to Lyrica at $50 a month - which is why I'm "testing" it. If it doesn't work, or makes me irritable, I'll switch back to Gabapentin.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,124,062 times
My daughter lives in CA. She has cancer. She also has a license (I saw it) that allows her to buy pot and transport it within the state of California. The state has licensed growers and sellers. It comes in many forms from food to cigarettes. One seller was on TV. One year he paid more than $1M in revenue to the state and feds. My daughter smoked around me. I did not bother me.

Pot has proven to be effective pain control in cancer, glaucoma and other diseases.

My grandson is a blathering idiot who smokes with a brand new baby in his arms. His older son has asthma and he smokes with him too. Being inconsiderate of others is what I think is most offensive about recreational use.

There are a couple of people locally who do have disease who go to California to the doctor and buy pot. It is not a big secret. Neither have been bothered by the police because of it.

Shingles is the child of Chicken Pox. Shingles can erupt at any time. Herpes is the mother of Chicken Pox and 29 other diseases including Herpes Simplex. Herpes is a virus that can be treated and controlled with various drugs. I've often wondered if it can be passed from generation to generation.

Last edited by linicx; 04-25-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM

4,990 posts, read 7,777,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I first took it when I had shingles and it was a life saver. I can't imagine what having shingles in your eye and across your head would be like without it.

I continued taking it because it relieved my sciatica, peripheral neuropathy, and what one doctor diagnosed as Fibromyalgia. Except for the irritability it was a miracle drug for me. I had no other side effects.

With insurance it was inexpensive compared to Lyrica at $50 a month - which is why I'm "testing" it. If it doesn't work, or makes me irritable, I'll switch back to Gabapentin.
I'm not saying there are no valid uses for it. Just pointing out that there can be side effects to consider. Gabapentin and Neurontin are the same thing. Gabapentin is the generic name and is cheaper pricewise. I've tried both and experienced no side effects, except for feeling drowsy when starting it. It took a bit of time to get adjusted to it. Apart from that, it wasn't helpful at all for my circumstances so it was discontinued. Evidently, it works for some and not for others, which is why sometimes meds have to be switched around in order to find a solution that works for a given individual.

What I found odd about the article was the emphasis on using gabapentin to "help" people "kick the habit" of using marijuana, implying MJ is like an addictive narcotic. I don't know but the "treatment" to "kick the habit" approach reminds me of the old "Reefer Madness" view. I'd say there may be other psychological issues involved that should be considered for people who feel using MJ is an out of control habit. However, I think there are people who can and do abuse it. In my opinion, it's can be useful in helping people with certain kinds of chronic physical conditions. At the same time, it doesn't mean that it is a cure-all or helpful in every case. But it can be used as a valid medication for some people, and an alternative to other meds that may not work for a given individual. Some some individuals, it can help a person get on with their life instead of having to be constantly focused on excessive pain or other valid medical conditions. If MJ can work for a person, then it seems like a better alternative to other meds, some of which can indeed be physically addicting. If a person does use MJ as a medication, like any med, it should be done so in a responsible manner. It can be intoxicating

I live in the State of Oregon where MJ is can be legally possessed and used for certain valid medical conditions. A permit from the State is required and can only be issued with a written statement from a medical doctor. Anyone caught without a State-issued permit is subject to prosecution, generally a fine. Ironically, one of the people involved in the gabapentin trial is a woman from Eugene, Oregon. Squibb, who produces gabapentin, is also involved. Gotta wonder what the agenda is about. Is it really to help people, or is it just to increase sales? I also have to wonder if the trial testing with gabapentin actually makes a difference or if it's just psychological because a person might feel some mild effects from it and thinks it makes a difference pretty much like a placebo? And I also wonder about the people who volunteered for the trial testing. Were they chronic users of marijuana, or were they occasional users who get high every so often, enough that it would show up in a urine test? Were the subjects paid to participate, or did they do it without pay (although the meds might have been given free). Can a consensus be made based on 50 people, some of whom were probably given placebos? The trial test seems to raise more questions than providing any conclusive answers. The article itself mentioned a larger trial was planned, meaning that the initial trial can't be considered as conclusive, but yet the article was primarily focused on the initial trial involving 50 subjects. The article wasn't anything recent, so I have no idea if the planned larger trial has been conducted or not. What are they doing for people with an alcohol habit? Whether intentional or not, the article seems to solely and unfairly put MJ into a bad light. For people who are dead set against MJ anyway, the article is something to bolster their opinion that MJ is bad and should be condemned no matter what.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,124,062 times
Trials always involve giving some a placebo. The people tested do not know who gets the placebo or who gets the drug. I think a trial of 50 is not really conclusive and it needs more testing.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,878,078 times
I am more concerned about "getting hooked" on Hydrocodone then I ever was on pot......

Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 PM

10,857 posts, read 12,894,685 times
PS No one calls it Mary Jane anymore.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,777,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Trials always involve giving some a placebo. The people tested do not know who gets the placebo or who gets the drug. I think a trial of 50 is not really conclusive and it needs more testing.
That's exactly right! Which means the actual number of people using gabapentin in the trial would have much less than 50 people. It could've been 25 or 30 using the gabapentin. Who knows? The article doesn't say.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,778,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's exactly right! Which means the actual number of people using gabapentin in the trial would have much less than 50 people. It could've been 25 or 30 using the gabapentin. Who knows? The article doesn't say.
The thing about pot is that there are different doses, some with more "stuff" than others...at least that's what I've heard. I remember when I was back in 1972 as a sophomore, there was a little discussion, in which there were people saying that pot was somewhat stronger than it used to be. Of course, now, it is still stronger still.

So in various places where it is grown, I wonder if it still gets stronger depending on who is grows it. Or, if it has leveled off or if it some are still working at getting the strength up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness