Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM

841 posts, read 1,912,835 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any experience with hot flashes? I seem to be going through some pattern where I go to bed and I can't sleep properly because I am hot on and off all night.

It's very annoying. I can't get into a deep sleep and it's making me cranky. I was wondering if anyone has any solutions or maybe it's something other than perimenopause.

I noticed this happening a few weeks back right after I had a bad cold. Now it's a nightly thing. In the day I do get hot and cold but at night it's bad.

Anyone have any suggestions (apart from HRT). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,939,911 times
Of COURSE your are NOT the only one!!!! My goodness...most of us over 52 are sweating our nights away...I do! It can start much younger...I just happened to be a "late bloomer"!

Use a fan...wear little clothing...keep a towel by your bed to dry yourself. Yes...it sucks! A lot! Unless you wish to use hormones to control this, you just have to suffer thru it. I am suffering thru it, since every woman in my family who DID use hormones got cancer, in some form or another....uterine, breast. etc....I'd rather sweat!

I keep my overhead fan running...and when I wake in a "hot flash", the covers come off, the towel comes out, and hubby just has to suffer thru it....it only lasts about 1 min or less.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,115,234 times
Go open the fridge and stand there until you get chilly.

go back to bed

repeat as often as needed.....(and it might be for a couple of years.)

There are many, many women that go on hormone therapy that DON"T get cancer. The women in your family could have had it anyway. Ask your doctor for suggestions. Someone may have recently invented a medication that does the trick.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM

20,855 posts, read 28,185,423 times
I used to get hot flashes alot and I am 41. Irregular periods last year and heavy bleeding so I thought I was menopausal or at least peri menopause. My Gyno took blood work and said my hormone levels were out of wack and I need to loose weight. I had a D&C in June 2011 and so far have lost 47 lbs with about 25 more to go. No more hot flashes and heavy irregular periods. He also said I was not near menopuase or peri menopause. I see him again in August so I know he'll be happy with my weight loss.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 AM

37,265 posts, read 61,014,574 times
My wife has been experiencing all conditions of menopause for nearly 30 years. how flashes, night sweats, power surges, atrophy, mood swings, etc.

After dozens of doctors none will give her HRT due to high risk of cancers in her family.

For her it started in her mid-20s.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,893,087 times
Go and see your OBGYN..have him/her test your FSH level...that will tell you whether you're perimenopausal or not.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 AM

841 posts, read 1,912,835 times
Thanks for your replies.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,832,956 times
It's not HRT or nothing.
We can work to balance our hormones without them but it takes time and energy and knowledge / education and an openness to alternative approaches.
Bio-identical hormones aren't necessarily safe by the way.
It's just my sense that they are not from what little i've learned and i wouldn't use them.

chef.sunny, if you have a health food store near you can explore the various supplements for hormonal balance.
I'm using a supplement called Beyond Vitex (by a company called KAL) which is vitex (chasteberry) and other nutrients that help to support hormonal balance.

Also, for all of us gals, healthy adrenals are key and the stronger / healthier the adrenals, the easier peri-menopause and menopause are so supporting them and doing our best to avoid unnecessary stress is really important.
I haven't explored this web-site although at first glance it looks pretty good but i did find this page a few weeks ago that you might want to look at it.

Eating and nutrition for adrenal gland support in women

And here's the search page for "hot flashes" with a number of articles that will be informative.

WomentoWomen.com - Site Search "hot flashes"

Last edited by jaijai; 04-16-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM

50,052 posts, read 63,405,659 times
Get a fan over your bed, and you'll be fine. It doesn't last long, and no big deal.

Drug companies would like for you to spend money on drugs to "fix" menopause, but PLEASE DO NOT take hormone replacement therapy. I did, because Lauren Hutton said I should and I wanted to look like her, but I got a blood clot from it that could have killed me.

Nature intends for your hormones to change at a certain age. It's what your body wants.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM

16,984 posts, read 16,211,513 times
I'm not getting hot flashes but I've noticed that my menstrual cycles are a whole lot easier on me when I'm exercising and eating right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness