U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2012, 03:23 AM
 
8,321 posts, read 17,648,814 times
Reputation: 10901

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
To the previous poster: Primary care physicians (general practitioners) don't perform surgery. There's no revenue in it for them to recommend it, or to send someone to a specialist who does perform it.

To JayCT: You say your blood pressure wasn't high enough to get medication. Was that your prognosis, or the doctor's? You also say you're not obese enough for surgery and that you resent that you were told you still need to lose a significant amount of weight, cut portions, exercise *more.*

You haven't mentioned how much you weigh, vs. how much you did weigh prior to losing it, and how long it took you to lose it. This could actually be just that you hang out with people who don't know how to tell you that you are grossly overweight, because they're seeing that you aren't noticing it yourself. Who wants to be the person responsible for informing someone about their own weight problem, that they aren't aware of? Not me, that's for sure.

This isn't to say that you -are- in need of a wake-up call and that the doctor was 100% dead on correct. But it is to say, rather, that you might be overlooking things about yourself, and in denial, and that the people who -would- be in your corner supporting you every step of the way, are waiting for you to acknowledge that you need the help in the first place before they say anything.

For instance: if you are 6'0" and weigh 225 pounds, and you did weigh 240 3 months ago and lost 15 pounds in the last 3 months, then I'd say - your doctor is being irrational and everyone posting here is right - you need a new doctor.

But if you are 6'0" and weigh 390 pounds, and you weighed 398 3 months ago, and lost 8 pounds in the last 3 months, I'd say you're clearly in denial and need a wake-up call and need to listen to your doctor, and tell your family and friends that you need help, you're ready to receive it, and you want them to give you the support you need to achieve a healthier body.

^^^ This.

Sometimes the question should be...what's wrong with patients?

I work in healthcare and I see doctors 'firing' patients because they just won't follow the doctors orders. What's the point of wasting your time ( and time IS money in a drs world) when a pt is just going to do whatever they want the second they walk out the door. Why set yourself up to be sued by a patient who refuses to follow orders and continues to be sick?

The scale doesn't lie. The BP machine doesn't like. The EKG doesn't lie. Who lies?? The patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Reputation: 20198
There -are- unscrupulous doctors out there. But the whole "oh she's just needing a new pool boy or a newer model lamboghini" doesn't wash, when you're dealing with a primary care physician suggesting bariatric surgery. I mean, unless her husband is a bariatric surgeon.

I just think we're not hearing enough information to suggest that Jay get a new doctor, OR to not get a new doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,587 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Reputation: 6951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
^^^ This.

Sometimes the question should be...what's wrong with patients?

I work in healthcare and I see doctors 'firing' patients because they just won't follow the doctors orders. What's the point of wasting your time ( and time IS money in a drs world) when a pt is just going to do whatever they want the second they walk out the door. Why set yourself up to be sued by a patient who refuses to follow orders and continues to be sick?

The scale doesn't lie. The BP machine doesn't like. The EKG doesn't lie. Who lies?? The patient.
I thought it was the duty of doctors and all health care professional to help all patients??? If it isn't then the should not be in that field. A doctor "Firing" a patient is disgusting and the doctor that consciencily does that should have his license revoked. This is the attitude that turns so many people off to our medical professionals. Too many have an ego that they are better than everyone else. My cousin is an internationally recognized doctor and he admits that there are a lot of egotists in the field that forget what their purpose is.

I am not going to give you my weight or how much I lost. This is not anyone's business but mine but I will say that people have noticed the weight loss so it was more than just a couple of pounds. You are correct that the scalle doesn't lie but I do have to question why the PA told me that I am now one inch shorter than I was 3 months ago. how does that happen? The blood pressure is fine (actually lower than the last time I was there). the EKG was also fine. The blood work came back fine. Why then not acknowledge I am on the right track? Seems like an ego trip to me. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 9,140,928 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
^^^ This.

Sometimes the question should be...what's wrong with patients?

I work in healthcare and I see doctors 'firing' patients because they just won't follow the doctors orders. What's the point of wasting your time ( and time IS money in a drs world) when a pt is just going to do whatever they want the second they walk out the door. Why set yourself up to be sued by a patient who refuses to follow orders and continues to be sick?

The scale doesn't lie. The BP machine doesn't like. The EKG doesn't lie. Who lies?? The patient.
I have no respect for any doctor who would basically tell a patient, "Do what I say, or get out". I expect a doctor to work with me. I pay him or her for their knowledge and training in order for me to put together a plan for my health. Losing weight is more than just telling someone to lose weight. You are dealing with emotional issues which do not always respond to the "doctors orders".

As far as "time Is money" in a doctors world, any doctor that puts money before the patient isn't worth a dime. His time is no more important than mine. Just because we call him "doctor" does not mean they are more important, even though many of them think they are Gods. Any doctor with that mentality does not have his patients best interest at heart. It's all about the money. There are many caring doctors out there that can easily replace those who put so much importance on themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 11:17 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,107 posts, read 17,646,574 times
Reputation: 22459
Yes sadly we live in a country where doctors are greedy and money hungry and want the big houses and the best euro car they can get for their dollar . I wonder how many would treat their family member like that ? you can bet your bottom dollar if I were you I would find another dr who would work with me . I have a wonderful new set of drs and I love them to pieces and you ask me why ? because they act like they give a darn what I am going through and they want to get me well that is why and it is actually the first set I have had in 7 yrs that act like they care . I m sorry you had a bad exp OP and I hope it goes better for you with another dr .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
 
8,321 posts, read 17,648,814 times
Reputation: 10901
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I thought it was the duty of doctors and all health care professional to help all patients??? If it isn't then the should not be in that field. A doctor "Firing" a patient is disgusting and the doctor that consciencily does that should have his license revoked. This is the attitude that turns so many people off to our medical professionals. Too many have an ego that they are better than everyone else. My cousin is an internationally recognized doctor and he admits that there are a lot of egotists in the field that forget what their purpose is.

I am not going to give you my weight or how much I lost. This is not anyone's business but mine but I will say that people have noticed the weight loss so it was more than just a couple of pounds. You are correct that the scalle doesn't lie but I do have to question why the PA told me that I am now one inch shorter than I was 3 months ago. how does that happen? The blood pressure is fine (actually lower than the last time I was there). the EKG was also fine. The blood work came back fine. Why then not acknowledge I am on the right track? Seems like an ego trip to me. Jay

You seem to forget that doctors in a private practice are running a business. They don't have to keep you as a patient if they don't want to nor do you have to keep them as a doctor. It's a two way street.

Find a doctor who will cater to your emotional needs and pat you on the back when you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Reputation: 52030
Write the letter. Find a new doctor. Congratulations on your progress, and good luck in continuing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The scale doesn't lie. The BP machine doesn't like. The EKG doesn't lie. Who lies?? The patient.
Apparently you failed to read and/or comprehend JayCT's original post, where he mentioned that he'd made progress since his last visit, but the doctor failed to acknowledge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I thought it was the duty of doctors and all health care professional to help all patients??? If it isn't then the should not be in that field. A doctor "Firing" a patient is disgusting and the doctor that consciencily does that should have his license revoked. This is the attitude that turns so many people off to our medical professionals.
Agreed. And that's why I see a nurse practitioner. The difference in the quality of care is jaw-dropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I have no respect for any doctor who would basically tell a patient, "Do what I say, or get out". I expect a doctor to work with me. I pay him or her for their knowledge and training in order for me to put together a plan for my health. Losing weight is more than just telling someone to lose weight. You are dealing with emotional issues which do not always respond to the "doctors orders".
Well said.

Quote:
Just because we call him "doctor" does not mean they are more important, even though many of them think they are Gods. Any doctor with that mentality does not have his patients best interest at heart.
And those doctors deserve it when their patients go elsewhere.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-28-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Lake Oswego, Manhattan, Aspen
3,136 posts, read 3,956,874 times
Reputation: 11035
What's wrong with doctors? Sleep deprivation + Acquired Situational Narcissism...for starters. And having been smart kids, many had severe problems with bullies. So, many of them truly are mad at the world and hate people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,182 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Reputation: 6261
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Several months ago I had a minor medical problem and went to a new doctor in our local practice (my doctor retired). At that visit she told me to lose weight which I knew I had to do anyway having always been overweiight. I had not had a physical in a whiile so she said she would schedule one for my next visit which was yesterday.

Since the last visit I have lost weight as she recommended. My blood pressure is lower (it was never high enough for medication). Going into the physical I was quite proud of myself for losing weight and looked forward to encouragement. Instead the doctor barely acknowledged that my weight had gone down, lectured me on needing to do more and perscribed a directic drug for a minor water retention problem in my legs that is also for blood pressure.

During the physical I told her how I had cut a lot of sugar out of my diet. She came back saying I need to exercise portion control. I told her I had cut back on the amount of food I ate. She then replied that I needed to exercise more. I reminded her that I had just told her that I now exercise every day. She came back and said it is not enough and that I should immediately go on a strict diet and even consider gastric surgery.
I took my daughter to a natural Dr for back pain; it turned into a very long (maybe 2 hours) appointment about her weight. She did recently gain a lot of weight (50) with an antidepressant. We were told it's probably a lot of water weight (how do they know) plus they think she had a thyroid issue.

Read the info below; from what we were told; it's pretty common.

Wilson's Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Docs are interested in revenue. Bariatric surgery is a big revenue source, as insurance pays for it. I believe the current guidelines are that ins. will cover the procedure if a patient is only 70 lbs overweight.

Run from a doc who seems more interested in scheduling procedures than finding ways to bolster personal progress towards preventive health goals.
Bariatric surgery is major surgery that could have worst consequences then being over-weight. I have a friend who is now in her 50's & has no stomach due to it.

About 10 years ago; her dad had bariatric surgery with good results; so she found a surgeon to have it done. I remember speaking to her & she couldn't keep anything down; she was pretty close to death & hospitalized. She then couldn't find anyone to figure out what was wrong; eventually she ended up in Philly. The Dr there thought she had some kind of blockage; they ended up having to remove her stomach. She tried suing the original Dr & lost.


'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
 
1,464 posts, read 2,630,022 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Several months ago I had a minor medical problem and went to a new doctor in our local practice (my doctor retired). At that visit she told me to lose weight which I knew I had to do anyway having always been overweiight. I had not had a physical in a whiile so she said she would schedule one for my next visit which was yesterday.
Since the last visit I have lost weight as she recommended. My blood pressure is lower (it was never high enough for medication). Going into the physical I was quite proud of myself for losing weight and looked forward to encouragement. Instead the doctor barely acknowledged that my weight had gone down, lectured me on needing to do more and perscribed a directic drug for a minor water retention problem in my legs that is also for blood pressure.
During the physical I told her how I had cut a lot of sugar out of my diet. She came back saying I need to exercise portion control. I told her I had cut back on the amount of food I ate. She then replied that I needed to exercise more. I reminded her that I had just told her that I now exercise every day. She came back and said it is not enough and that I should immediately go on a strict diet and even consider gastric surgery.
I was shocked. I will admit I am overweight but no one I know ever would say I was at the point to require surgery. I immediately told her no way. That I had seen what others had gone through with that surgery and it should only be considered under the most severe cases as a last resort. I told her that I was no where near that point. She did not say anything and asked me to come back in six months.
I walked out of her office angry and disappointed and cannot stop thinking about what she said. It was more like she was saying that because I am overwieight that I must be doing something wrong and if it wasn't one thing it had to be something else. She was bound to find that thing.
I have pretty much decided that I will not keep her as my doctor. I am also considering writing her a letter explaining why. I can only wonder what she tells other overweight patients and if she realizes that she is likely doing more harm than good with her attitude. Any thoughts? Jay
Wow, can you say insensitive Doctor? I am 5'3" tall and at one pint weighed 304 lbs..yup short, fat and cute! My doctor never told me, "You are overweight" she would say, "I know I don't have to tell you you are overweight"...like I couldn't look in the mirror and see it anyhow was her opinion. I was being treated for high blood pressure, thyroid issues and eventually found out I had an upper thoracic aneurysm. Now, talk about scared. She was the one who found it and hustled me into seeing a Cardiologist who also did NOT say much about my weight. Long story short, I had my surgery then had a calm, quiet talk with Cardiologist which is when I headed to Weight Watchers and have lost so far 85 lbs.

Very few doctors will recommend the gastric bypass surgery because it is quite a process and can be very dangerous. If your general health issues were on dangerous levels, i.e., like high sugar, high blood pressure, high triglycerides or cholesterol issues, then perhaps some consideration to bypass but for the most part, I believe that people can do anything they set their minds to even losing a huge amount of weight.

Don't let anyone talk you into that bypass surgery unless it is an absolute medical emergency. You would also have to lose weight prior to the surgery and if you can do that much then why bother with the bypass? They also give you a bunch of psychological tests and like I said, if your mind is healthy you can control most anything.

Good luck and my suggestion at this point, find a new doctor who is a tad more patient with you, willing to help and not criticize and one who is not so fast to send you to gastric bypass surgery. Keep me posted!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top