U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:48 PM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times

Advertisements

At 65yrs old and retired i find i'm sleeping too much, usually 10-12 hours a day,its like i just get up to get a bit tired so i can go back to sleep for a while,could this be some kind of condition or am i just getting lazy in old age?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM

19,636 posts, read 53,495,108 times
You could have a number of conditions: anemia, obstructive sleep apnea, something more serious. Go get a check up and tell your doctor what your problems is.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-28-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,728,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At 65yrs old and retired i find i'm sleeping too much, usually 10-12 hours a day,its like i just get up to get a bit tired so i can go back to sleep for a while,could this be some kind of condition or am i just getting lazy in old age?..
are you happy?
or might you be depressed?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:59 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
And maybe you're just bored and need a new hobby.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And maybe you're just bored and need a new hobby.
You probably got it as i find when there is nothing to do sleeping is a warm comfy way to pass a few hours and being retired there's lots of nothing to do time.The obvious solution is not as easy as it sounds as i've done so much in my life i just feel tired and some what burned out and just dont feel like doing anything.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,568,904 times
It could be so many things, it's impossible to do more than speculate. You should probably have a complete blood workup. Hi blood sugar could make you sleepy, as well as a slew of other conditions. A visit to the doctor is in order.

I fight being too sleepy myself, but I have certain health problems that I know are contributing factors and I just have to try to control a lot of things to keep from falling into the sleepy syndrome. I find that forcing myself to take a walk can sometimes break the sleep spell that tries to overwhelm me.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 AM

I do have Diabetes so my sugars are usually high,and i do see two doctors who i see twice a year that always tell me to lose weight, bad hips prevent me from walking very far but i do manage to get to the gymn at least once a day.
Sorry for wasting your time but I think my problem is terminal boredom,been there done that on way to many things, its something akin to a psychological dead end or checkmate whereby anything new to do isnt enjoyable anymore as its just something new ho hum..

Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 AM

16,942 posts, read 19,680,616 times
Could be depression, boredom, health issues. Many things could be wrong. I would get a full check up and blood work at your Dr. just to be sure. If all is good then I suggest a hobby or joining a social group.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM

3,441 posts, read 4,985,320 times
Sleeping tends to get addictive for lack of a better word, the more you sleep the more you want to sleep ... As said, go to your doctor and talk to him about it, he will probably have some blood work done.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 9,143,358 times
Retirement may be your problem. I've known several people who did not retire well. When you are used to a busy, stress filled life and all of a sudden find yourself with nothing meaningful to do on a daily basis, it can be difficult.

A friend who retired two years ago lived such a stress filled life, flying to various parts of the country for work monthly. The first year was extremely difficult. I kept assuring her that she will find her niche. Give it time. At first she worked on her home and gardens. Around the second year she joined a few social groups and got to know her neighbors. She is now beginning to enjoy her retirement.

On the other hand, a couple of my neighbors who retired began to drink. The outcome was not good. They just could not find something to enjoy on a daily basis. They were depressed and angry. They have since passed on.

My husband retired 5 years ago due to a cancer diagnosis. After treatment, he began to garden more. He enjoyed being in the sunshine, it was good for his mental state, and we now have the most beautiful tropical garden anyone could imagine. He found something he enjoyed and went with it.

I would suggest having a physical to ensure your health is in order. If all is well, then start setting your alarm clock in the morning. Get yourself up and look for that hobby or something that could interest you that you never had time for before retirement.

Best of luck to you, and happy retirement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness