Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times

Advertisements

In a 12-week trial of 50 treatment-seeking cannabis users, those who took gabapentin used less cannabis, experienced fewer withdrawal symptoms such as sleeplessness, and scored higher on tests of attention, impulse-control, and other cognitive skills, compared to patients who received a placebo. If these results are confirmed by ongoing larger trials, gabapentin could become the first FDA-approved pharmaceutical treatment for cannabis dependence.

“A lot of other drugs have been tested for their ability to decrease cannabis use and withdrawal, but this is the first to show these key effects in a controlled treatment study,” said Barbara J. Mason, the Pearson Family Chair and Co-Director of the Pearson Center for Alcoholism and Addiction Research at Scripps Research. “The other nice thing about gabapentin is that it is already widely prescribed, so its safety is less likely to be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
When I take gaba I get really irritable. To the point that Mrs. Tek asked to stop. I now take Lyrica (for a month as a test) and so far I'm not so irritable. I hurt more so it sucks for the pain, but at least I'm not flying off the handle for no reason.

I didn't know you could become addicted to marijuana...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
In a 12-week trial of 50 treatment-seeking cannabis users, those who took gabapentin used less cannabis, experienced fewer withdrawal symptoms such as sleeplessness, and scored higher on tests of attention, impulse-control, and other cognitive skills, compared to patients who received a placebo. If these results are confirmed by ongoing larger trials, gabapentin could become the first FDA-approved pharmaceutical treatment for cannabis dependence.
I've stopped smoking pot several times whether for money, source, work or other reason. I've never had a withdrawal problem or a sleepless night. Though withdrawal is a great stimulus to cleaning house, leaving no stone unturned. When smoking I did make much better grades at university which I attribute to either pot or ephedrine, or combination of both.

I did however, disassociate from some family members due to smoking, but that's more their problem than mine.

Somebody is taking a source of research funding for a ride, and whomever may subscribe to that crap.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
When I smoke, thats pretty much the only time i clean house

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
I tried it once but I didn't like having the giggles. If there was a little crack in the wall, I thought it was hilarious. I hated having no control.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

It's a psychological addiction, as far as the physical effects they are listing here never heard of it myself but I guess if you were heavy user removal any chemical your body is used to is going to have some kind of effect. They would only be temporary, I've never heard of a physical addiction to pot.

Having said that everyone is different as far as drugs are concerned. I had a girlfriend that could start and stop smoking cigarettes nearly at will, drove me nuts because I've been trying to quit for 20 years. Seemed there was no effect on her when she wasn't smoking.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

Somebody is taking a source of research funding for a ride, and whomever may subscribe to that crap.
^^This

Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When I take gaba I get really irritable. To the point that Mrs. Tek asked to stop. I now take Lyrica (for a month as a test) and so far I'm not so irritable. I hurt more so it sucks for the pain, but at least I'm not flying off the handle for no reason.

You can't be addicted. That's a bunch of crock.
If marijuana is addictive, it MUST be a gateway drug too, right? Get out of town.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I'm addicted.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Gabapentin? That's the generic name of Neurontin. I was prescribed that which was gradually increased to 1800 mg/day to supposedly act as a block to help soothe nerve pain. There are a number of applications for the med. For me, it never helped me and wasn't exactly cheap, so it was discontinued. When discontinuing Neurontin (gabapentin), you're suppose to gradually reduce it over a period of a week or two, maybe depending on the dosage you're taking. There can be some pretty nasty side effects to it. That doesn't mean everyone experiences any serious or lethal side effects, but it should still be used with caution. The article said the 12-week trial involved 50 people at does of 1200 mg/day. A larger trial was expected, along with a trial of some unspecified "novel drug". I don't know, but it seems like a weird suggestion to discontinue a marijuana habit.

Neurontin (Gabapentin) Drug Information: Description, User Reviews, Drug Side Effects, Interactions - Prescribing Information at RxList

Neurontin (Gabapentin) Drug Overview of Side Effects and Precautions for Patients and Caregivers at RxList

Gabapentin (Oral Route): Side effects - MayoClinic.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness