U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 AM

34,549 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

I have all too tragic knowledge of this stuff. I know it causes the person to become irrational and psychotic. It is horrible and evil. Anyone who would sell it should die a thousand deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM

29 posts, read 13,330 times
State laws banning bath salts are difficult to enforce and researchers are still trying to determine the drugís composition to learn how to treat it. Users can be charged with public intoxication, but thatís about it since the salts are technically not illegal. Hospital and psychiatric workers confirm the use of the salts is spreading and if the problem is not addressed quickly, it could become an epidemic even greater than the scourge of meth.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolanda007 View Post
State laws banning bath salts are difficult to enforce and researchers are still trying to determine the drugís composition to learn how to treat it. Users can be charged with public intoxication, but thatís about it since the salts are technically not illegal. Hospital and psychiatric workers confirm the use of the salts is spreading and if the problem is not addressed quickly, it could become an epidemic even greater than the scourge of meth.
Our neighboring counties were trying to make them illegal when our state stepped in and did it for them. It may be legal where you are but certainly they are not legal in SC.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,713,106 times
I saw the episode of Intervention where the guy was addicted to bath salts. He was addicted to them in that he compulsively did them all day. They never said whether or not he went through any withdrawals when he stopped, but I don't think he had ever tried to stop. It acted like meth in that he would do it and stay up for days. He was extremely paranoid to the point he thought that shadows were aliens there to get him. He was also having visual and auditory hallucinations all day long every day. He experienced none of these symptoms before starting to use the bath salts. There was concern that his symptoms could be in part from the onset of paranoid schizophrenia because he was in his early twenties, or perhaps that he had a psychotic break. I would think that it was drug induced psychosis. Your friend could be a functioning addict. I don't know how addictive bath salts are, but I do know how hard it is for anyone to do heroin "recreationally." Good luck to you and your friend.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM

595 posts, read 711,316 times
No but I thought mothballs were marshmellows!!

Old 05-18-2012, 04:34 PM

102 posts, read 271,558 times
Bath salts contain drugs like methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MPDV), mephedrone and pyrovalerone. These chemicals act in the brain, and have some of the same effects as other stimulant drugs (like cocaine and methamphetamine). These chemicals also produce intense cravings and addiction potential not unlike those posed by cocaine and meth.

MPDV is a psychoactive drug with stimulant properties. It acts as a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor. It can cause hypertension (high blood pressure), tachycardia (rapid pulse), increased body temperature, agitation, headache, severe paranoia, psychotic delusions (false beliefs, usually of persecution or danger), confusion, suicidal thoughts/actions, dizziness, difficulty breathing, violent behavior, insomnia, stomach cramps, bruxism (grinding teeth), sweating, and tinnitus (ringing in the ears).

Mephedrone is a synthetic drug of the amphetamine class. It causes most of the same side effects as MPDV does. These include: loss of appetite, poor concentration, poor short term memory, tachycardia (increased heart rate), sweating, sweating, anxiety, paranoia, depression, difficulty breathing, hallucinations (seeing, hearing, smelling, or feeling things that aren't really there), and erratic behavior.

Pyrovalerone is a psychoactive stimulant drug that acts as a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Side effects of this drug include: anxiety, insomnia, anorexia or loss of appetite, trembling, muscle tremors, and shaking. Upon discontinuing the drug, users face withdrawal symptoms, and are often depressed.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:18 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
If your friend is a recreational drug user he doesn't have an addiction. Addiction is signified by drug use that is out of control and that doesn't seem to be the case with your friend. There is a common, and very unfortunate, misconception that everyone who uses illegal or otherwise socially unaccepted drugs are addicts and that's simply not true. ..{snip}.
Good point. It's possible to use an illicit substance without becoming addicted. The DSM-IV differentiates between substance abuse and substance dependence. In general terms, abuse is present with the substance use causes problems in the individuals' life, whereas dependence is indicated when discontinuation of the drug causes withdrawal symptoms, and/or when the individual becomes physiologically dependent on the drug.

In short, if drug or alcohol use does not interfere with the individual's life, and if discontinuance of the drug would not cause withdrawal or dependence, it would be difficult (from a clinical standpoint) to diagnose the individual with a disorder. This does not mean it's okay to use illicit substances. The use of any addictive substance can certaily lead to major problems. One should simply be cautious about slapping pathological labels on 100% of individuals who have used drugs in the past.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
Oh wow, bath salts are apparently tied in to that recent zombie attack!!

Reports: Miami 'zombie' attacker may have been using 'bath salts' Ė This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I found out this is what one of my friends is using, bath salts. Did a little research on it and so far, its a "legal drug" I see him and he has sores on his hands and wrists. Besides that, he's also into heroin. My friend is a recreational drug user. He seems to manage his drug use and be able to hold down a full-time job.
All I know about it is that it is what that zombie guy was on when he was chewing on that man's face the other day.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,762,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have all too tragic knowledge of this stuff. I know it causes the person to become irrational and psychotic. It is horrible and evil. Anyone who would sell it should die a thousand deaths.
And there is a very special place in Hell for all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness