U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,249,642 times

Advertisements

I found out this is what one of my friends is using, bath salts. Did a little research on it and so far, its a "legal drug" I see him and he has sores on his hands and wrists. Besides that, he's also into heroin. My friend is a recreational drug user. He seems to manage his drug use and be able to hold down a full-time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,738,731 times
If your friend is a recreational drug user he doesn't have an addiction. Addiction is signified by drug use that is out of control and that doesn't seem to be the case with your friend. There is a common, and very unfortunate, misconception that everyone who uses illegal or otherwise socially unaccepted drugs are addicts and that's simply not true. In fact even with heroin, a drug that is considered highly addictive, only about 30% of those who experiment with heroin end up getting addicted. A person who uses drugs to get high here and there is no more of a drug addict than a person who drinks alcohol to get a buzz here and there is an alcoholic. But our society still considers any drug use to be a drug problem that has to be dealt with. If your friend was drinking alcohol instead would you consider him to be addicted to alcohol and in need of help? There really isn't any difference between alcohol and other drugs. The only difference is that alcohol is socially accepted in our culture. It's still just as much of a drug, though, like all other intoxicating substances. It is also highly addictive and can be extremely dangerous.
That's not to say that recreational drug use is harmless, it's not, but I think it's important to determine if it's a case of addiction or not so that the problem can be dealt with correctly. Imo you can do more harm than good sending a recreational drug user to rehab to treat an addiction he doesn't have.
Even though your friend may not be an addict now he could become one. I'd be especially worried about the heroin use. Actual addiction to bath salts is not common. I would recommend that you keep a close eye on your friend and how he's managing his life. If he starts to have trouble at work, such as tardiness, etc., stops hanging out with old friends, starts spending money on drugs that were meant to go to other things, start neglecting his hygiene and appearance, etc., it could be a sign that he is in fact developing an addiction and will need help. But until then I would make sure that he's aware of the physical consequences of using these drugs and how to avoid devastating consequences, like a fatal heroin overdose, and hope for the best. There isn't really much else you can do.
I really wouldn't worry that much about the bath salts though since these things are usually a passing phase. I'd worry more about the heroin.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 PM

6,235 posts, read 18,133,606 times
Bath salts (these have nothing to do with a bath!) are illegal in my jurisdiction and legislatures all over the country are being made aware of their dangerous effects. If it isn't illegal today it soon will be. For the record, we are not talking about "Calgon".

New law makes bath salts, 'designer drugs' illegal in SC | South Carolina News - WYFF Home

Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,585,314 times
My aunt who lives in Cleveland told me about this, I had never heard of such a thing here in NJ. She also said they've had to pull it off a lot of store shelves b/c people were stocking up on it. Crackheads are ruining bath routines now. Great....

Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,372,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
If your friend is a recreational drug user he doesn't have an addiction. Addiction is signified by drug use that is out of control and that doesn't seem to be the case with your friend. There is a common, and very unfortunate, misconception that everyone who uses illegal or otherwise socially unaccepted drugs are addicts and that's simply not true. In fact even with heroin, a drug that is considered highly addictive, only about 30% of those who experiment with heroin end up getting addicted. A person who uses drugs to get high here and there is no more of a drug addict than a person who drinks alcohol to get a buzz here and there is an alcoholic. But our society still considers any drug use to be a drug problem that has to be dealt with. If your friend was drinking alcohol instead would you consider him to be addicted to alcohol and in need of help? There really isn't any difference between alcohol and other drugs. The only difference is that alcohol is socially accepted in our culture. It's still just as much of a drug, though, like all other intoxicating substances. It is also highly addictive and can be extremely dangerous.
That's not to say that recreational drug use is harmless, it's not, but I think it's important to determine if it's a case of addiction or not so that the problem can be dealt with correctly. Imo you can do more harm than good sending a recreational drug user to rehab to treat an addiction he doesn't have.
Even though your friend may not be an addict now he could become one. I'd be especially worried about the heroin use. Actual addiction to bath salts is not common. I would recommend that you keep a close eye on your friend and how he's managing his life. If he starts to have trouble at work, such as tardiness, etc., stops hanging out with old friends, starts spending money on drugs that were meant to go to other things, start neglecting his hygiene and appearance, etc., it could be a sign that he is in fact developing an addiction and will need help. But until then I would make sure that he's aware of the physical consequences of using these drugs and how to avoid devastating consequences, like a fatal heroin overdose, and hope for the best. There isn't really much else you can do.
I really wouldn't worry that much about the bath salts though since these things are usually a passing phase. I'd worry more about the heroin.
This is so twisted from so many perspectives, I don't know where to start . . . anyone who has sores on their body from using anything has a problem . . .it is not "natural" to snort bath salts . . .it's crazy.

Why would you promote the use of heroin? Who is to determine who will become an addict, as the drug is so addictive . . .it's just irresponsible to promote the use of substances that are addictive or unhealthy in any way. What is your motive?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,016,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Bath salts (these have nothing to do with a bath!) are illegal in my jurisdiction and legislatures all over the country are being made aware of their dangerous effects. If it isn't illegal today it soon will be. For the record, we are not talking about "Calgon".

New law makes bath salts, 'designer drugs' illegal in SC | South Carolina News - WYFF Home

I've read some articles about this....Why can't people do normal drugs, like smoke some weed and chill out already!

Heard about some chic who shot up "bath salts", then was immediately rushed to the er and had her arm amputated (all the way to the shoulder)because some kind of bacteria was basically eating her alive. Sick!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 PM

6,235 posts, read 18,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I've read some articles about this....Why can't people do normal drugs, like smoke some weed and chill out already!

Heard about some chic who shot up "bath salts", then was immediately rushed to the er and had her arm amputated (all the way to the shoulder)because some kind of bacteria was basically eating her alive. Sick!
I agree but when you (kids) see something is legal you don't expect it to be dangerous. I think someone died around here from doing "bath salts" and that is when the state took action and outlawed them. It sounds like that bacteria may already be eating OP's friend unfortunately.

The lengths people go to to get high these days are mind boggling. I've seen drunks and I've seen people high on weed; I much prefer those high on weed to those that are drunk.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM

19,637 posts, read 53,511,196 times
It was popular here with the younger crowd b/c it was cheap and legal; lots of teens doing it. Not legal anymore.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,016,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I agree but when you (kids) see something is legal you don't expect it to be dangerous. I think someone died around here from doing "bath salts" and that is when the state took action and outlawed them. It sounds like that bacteria may already be eating OP's friend unfortunately.

The lengths people go to to get high these days are mind boggling. I've seen drunks and I've seen people high on weed; I much prefer those high on weed to those that are drunk.

Yeah I don't think I actually know anyone who does "bath salts" (knocks on wood).

Though I remember salvia being really popular for a while when it was legal..(Not sure the status of it now)...But you're right, those kind of "legal" drugs can be especially dangerous, simply because they're so new and there is so much unknown about them.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,415,630 times
I've heard about people doing them and flipping out like they took some PCP and hurting themselves really bad. And of others who just died.

Watch Requiem for a Dream and watch how that crap destroys lives. A little pot won't kill ya...but for the major drugs..... By the end of the that movie Jennifer Connelly is doing a double d*ldo act for heroin. Her boyfriend loses his arm to gangrene and another woman addicted to pain pills basically goes insane.

Requiem for a Dream Trailer - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness