Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,256,890 times

Advertisements

I breastfed my daughter for 16 months. I stopped over a month ago because doctors keep saying my feeling so sickly is from the breastfeeding.

I started to feel pretty different around her turning 9 months old. I started to feel extremely tired all the time and had a lot of dizzy spells. Then I developed a red rash across my chest and on my feet that was very, very itchy. I did see my doctor who said she was not sure what it was but gave me so cream for it. She said maybe it was something related to my hormones but was not sure. She also said the tiredness was hormonal related likely.

Shortly after this I began to develop shortness of breath problems. I have a hard time sleeping because of this and wake up very often throughout the night feeling short of breath. I did a sleep study and it came back normal. I also did some lung test, they found mild scarring on my lungs but I did a respiratory function test which came back normal. I still have this problem currently. My doctor suggested that it might be hormonal and told me to take an anti-depressant.

Now I am having chest pain on the left side of my body that radiates to my side. It feels like my chest is sore and I've noticed my arm and neck are hurting as well. I went to the doctor again and he said it was most likely chest wall pain stemming from calcium depletion during breastfeeding. But my blood work didn't show any calcium depletion.

It seems every time I go to the doctor for something they stem it back to hormones or breastfeeding. I fear I might have some undiagnosed illness that is being brushed off because I have never felt so ill than as I have over the last several months but I'm unsure of what to do next because my doctors keep saying the same thing. Plus I'm in my 20s so I know doctors brush things off thinking I can't have anything serious at my age. Is it possible that these things really could be a result of hormones?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 PM

37,086 posts, read 41,213,722 times
Your symptoms do not sound like a hormone problem.

You need a complete physical exam by someone who will check out your heart. The fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and chest pain are worrisome and more than what I would expect from just the rigors of taking care of a baby. Breastfeeding should not make you sick.

An internist would be a good place to start.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,268,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I breastfed my daughter for 16 months. I stopped over a month ago because doctors keep saying my feeling so sickly is from the breastfeeding.

I started to feel pretty different around her turning 9 months old. I started to feel extremely tired all the time and had a lot of dizzy spells. Then I developed a red rash across my chest and on my feet that was very, very itchy. I did see my doctor who said she was not sure what it was but gave me so cream for it. She said maybe it was something related to my hormones but was not sure. She also said the tiredness was hormonal related likely.

Shortly after this I began to develop shortness of breath problems. I have a hard time sleeping because of this and wake up very often throughout the night feeling short of breath. I did a sleep study and it came back normal. I also did some lung test, they found mild scarring on my lungs but I did a respiratory function test which came back normal. I still have this problem currently. My doctor suggested that it might be hormonal and told me to take an anti-depressant.

Now I am having chest pain on the left side of my body that radiates to my side. It feels like my chest is sore and I've noticed my arm and neck are hurting as well. I went to the doctor again and he said it was most likely chest wall pain stemming from calcium depletion during breastfeeding. But my blood work didn't show any calcium depletion.

It seems every time I go to the doctor for something they stem it back to hormones or breastfeeding. I fear I might have some undiagnosed illness that is being brushed off because I have never felt so ill than as I have over the last several months but I'm unsure of what to do next because my doctors keep saying the same thing. Plus I'm in my 20s so I know doctors brush things off thinking I can't have anything serious at my age. Is it possible that these things really could be a result of hormones?

Thanks for your input.
I don't want to worry you but this sounds like a heart problem.

Get a second or a third opinion. Don't waste time.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,730,365 times
Definitely not your hormones. I agree with the above poster. Go to a new doctor ASAP

Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,267,447 times
lose that lousy doctor...get a real one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness