U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,185,025 times

Advertisements

So I was diagnosed recently and got my mask and machine last week. I had trouble getting used to it when doing the sleep study and was given both nasal and full face mask to try. I require only the nasal one, though. I had trouble at the clinic, but settled in somewhat. Maybe because i knew I would be out of there in a few short hours. Who knows.

However, now that I have it at home, I am finding I have too much trouble. I am anxious when I first put the mask on, and have anxiety/panic issues. When I do finally settle in enough to fall asleep, I wake up constantly in a panic. I am a nose breather and have issues with trying to exhale while air is being forced in.

Anyone have these issues that can offer advice? I keep hoping I'll get used to it, but the panic/anxiety attacks worry me more. I don't even know which attacks they are - my heart starts beating fast and I can't get the mask off fast enough. Since I have each type of mask - full face and nasal (2 different ones of each type), I have tried them all, but still end up feeling the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I can't tolerate the full mask as I am claustrophobic. I use a nasal one with no problem. Maybe take something to calm you down before you go to sleep? Hard to do when you have OSA as many drugs will depress respiration.

Another idea is to wear it for 10 min in the day, then 15 min, then 30 min, while reading or watching TV, to help you get used to it.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I can't tolerate the full mask as I am claustrophobic. I use a nasal one with no problem. Maybe take something to calm you down before you go to sleep? Hard to do when you have OSA as many drugs will depress respiration.

Another idea is to wear it for 10 min in the day, then 15 min, then 30 min, while reading or watching TV, to help you get used to it.
In fairness - I don't have sleep apnea (or , of course, use a machine) but I can identify with the claustrophobia. I had the same issue when I was first learning to scuba dive, I would get really anxious having (and trusting) the mask on my face.... I did as SouthernBelle suggests - wore it (the scuba mask and tank) while sitting around the house for to get used to it...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
I tried the nasal one and it felt really odd. I use the mask now. No problems with claustrophobia but yes, I really would prefer using nothing.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 10,003 times
When I first got my CPAP mask, it caused me anxiety too. My doc suggested that I put the mask on for 10 to 15 min at a time while watching tv. This helps acclimate you to the mask. It really helped a lot and now I have no issue with it. Have been using a CPAP for 15 years at this point

Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
I have a CPAP and am very claustrophobic. When they were setting me up with my CPAP machine they put the big mask over my face and I about lost it. I knew there was no way I could do that. I have the nasal piece and I can tolerate that. I was a little anxious at first but got used to it quickly. If your machine is like mine you can adjust the settings as far as the air pressure.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:14 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
I haven't used my machine in over 2 years. I didn't care for the full mask. I can wear a SCBA mask firefighting with no issues. Usually when I used the machine I'd get about 3 hours of sleep, I would wake and remove the mask for the rest of the night.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,897,102 times
Default Cpap Help

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea after a sleep study. I was given a machine and tried several masks. I had problems. I tried the machine with moisture and tried without the water tank, and either way I ended up with a stuffed up nose and dry mouth. I sorta like the idea of a full mask but found it difficult to use since I sleep on my side- during the study they made me sleep on my back. I tried the RAMP setting but felt as is I was drowning( airboarding rather than waterboarding) and would awake gasping. I suggested to my PCP that maybe I should use Afrin- he let out a scream and said hell no as the idiot Pharmacist that suggested it because he used it was giving me bad advice. I last tried then nose pillow but kept opening my mouth at night and the air would be forced out of my mouth and did a strange thing in my palate so I gave up and put it aside. Now I have moved to a new city and want to start over. I read about a special bed pillow that makes it easier to use the CPAP, any ideas on decongestants would help- I did try a few but they kept me awake in contrast to the package warnings about sleepiness.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I use the Breeze mask which looks kind of like those microscope eyeglasses doctors wear in surgery. I can sleep on my side ir back with no problem. You might google it to see if it looks OK. I have claustrophobia and cannot wear the full face mask. I don't know about a pillow.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,725 times
CTGIRLNO MORE: I have the same problems as you and am wondering if you have ever resolved them. I am so stressed knowing I need this but just as stressed when I try to wear it for a few minutes, even. Your answer will be greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness