U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 621,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I've been smoking since 1998 and I would like to quit. I've set a date for June 21 or 22, but I have some questions for those who have successfully done that.

First, a little background:

The last time I tried to quit was 2005, but obviously it didn't go over so well. At that time, I tried to begin by reducing how much I smoked, and would only have a couple before work and wouldn't touch one until after work (roughly ten hours.) However, while at work I would start to get foggy in the head, then would get incredibly impatient and irritable. I also lost my job in 2010 and was unemployed up until a few months ago. I do have problems with anxiety, and while I was unemployed my doctor actually recommended that I don't quit smoking until I reached stability. Anyway, I think I've been able to get those problems mostly under control since finding employment. Currently, I smoke about 15 a day, which is actually less than what I was smoking.

Now, here are my questions:

My old plan didn't work, so now I want to try an aid. More specifically, I think the gum would work best for me. Has anyone had success with this, or with a particular brand of it? I do anticipate the occasional "slip up" and I'm wondering how bad it is to smoke while on that regimen.

I chose the days I mentioned for a reason. I have this game that I love and it currently tends to distract me to a point that I can go longer without a cigarette. The company that produced it has announced a massive expansion on June 19 that will add to the experience tremendously. Luckily, I also have a week and a half off work coinciding with that release. So, my question is how well these distractions work. My mind is usually racing and doing multiple things at once, so it takes something powerful and engaging to keep me focused. TV and movies aren't going to cut it.

Since my last attempt to quit, I've just naturally grown more irritable, short-tempered and impatient. I live with people now and think I might need to give a warning/apology in advance... so I'm wondering if anyone who has a short fuse reading this can advise me how much worse this will get.

I'm also pretty jittery, wired and nervous in general, which doesn't help with anxiety problems. So I'm also wondering how much worse that could get, and if the approach I mentioned isn't a good idea; i.e. Should I first try to reduce smoking again, but not to the extreme I did last time?

Any other thoughts I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:57 AM

5,540 posts, read 10,445,061 times
I tried the gum once...it made me sick to my stomach so I quit and started smoking again. In 2010 as FSC came to my state I switched to roll-your-own and 9 months later to e-cigs. I haven't had a cigarette since Sept 2010.

One piece of advice I just heard this year...don't count the days you are cigarette free. Doing so causes you to fixate on the act of smoking and may cause failure. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
That's actually pretty helpful. Thank you. My stomach doesn't do well with sugar, oil, a number of medicines, etc. That gum might not be for me, so maybe I can chew regular gum and try a patch or something. I'll also try to avoid counting the days, because I can easily see that being a problem.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM

6,967 posts, read 16,468,495 times
You might try what a relative did. she took a pack and cut about 1/2 inch off each cig. Then she still smoked the same number. later, she cut them even shorter. Soon wasn't smoking as much and found it was easier to cut down on the actual number.

People find all sorts of different ways of cutting back. Sometimes the silly ways work better than the serious ones. The distraction of the game might be exactly what you need. Don't keep the cigarettes near your computer. Put them in the other end of the house. You won't want to leave your game to go get one.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Thank you. I usually smoke Marlboro Light 100s, so perhaps I can start early and switch to just lights, which are shorter anyway. A looming problem is that my workplace is going smoke free on campus starting this summer, and by then I would definitely need to either be smoke-free or less dependent on nicotine, because cigarette breaks will be much rarer at that point. Between my last cigarette before work and the next I could have on lunch break would be about three hours. Knowing me, the withdrawals will be in full effect. Usually after about two hours I can't stand going without any longer.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM

6,967 posts, read 16,468,495 times
OK, let's look at another silly way. Now there is no doubt that at times, you need that "fix" but sometimes, maybe you light up just to have something to do with your hands. I knew one guy that would put his hands in his pocket and jingle his keys. Drove everyone around him crazy, but he seemed to be able to postpone lighting up for a while longer. Do you have a puzzle or other sort of thingie to get your hands busy for a few minutes?

so, plan your day. Save something that is more interesting/ easier/ appealing/etc. to do when you know it will be rougher. The thing is to see if you can postpone that lighting-up for a while.

I had two clerks working for me that decided that they would quit. The rest of us really dreaded it, for we had been though those sort of quiters before. But these two people really helped each other by talking, walking the halls.....whatever. They brought each other snacks, drinks and just generally watched out for each other. maybe you can find someone else that is going to have the same battle. Just make sure they are serious about it too.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Aside from that game, I can't think of anything else. But maybe a description of the game would help:

It's a government simulation (I promise, it's MUCH more fun than that sounds) and requires a lot of planning, strategy and thought. It also requires a ton of oversight and micromanaging, and one "fast" session of this game easily takes five or six hours minimum... but this expansion seems that it will drag out the game longer and require more strategy.

Anyway, those are things about it that appeal to me most, so I'm open to related distractions. Anything low-stress that requires intense concentration will likely suffice. I do have the Adobe CS5 and some projects on that can really occupy my time.

A potential disadvantage I have is that I lived in Phoenix for a long time and had friends there, but moved away a year ago and haven't made any friends where I am. Unfortunately, the people here are somewhat hostile to outsiders and I've found it difficult to meet new people. I will have a limited support network for this venture because of that I still keep in touch with people by phone, but with the time zone difference and work schedule conflicts, that doesn't always work out.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM

5,206 posts, read 5,089,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Thank you. I usually smoke Marlboro Light 100s, so perhaps I can start early and switch to just lights, which are shorter anyway. A looming problem is that my workplace is going smoke free on campus starting this summer, and by then I would definitely need to either be smoke-free or less dependent on nicotine, because cigarette breaks will be much rarer at that point. Between my last cigarette before work and the next I could have on lunch break would be about three hours. Knowing me, the withdrawals will be in full effect. Usually after about two hours I can't stand going without any longer.
I used to smoke Marlboro Lights years and years ago. If I remember correctly, the 100s were longer but the short regular lights had more flavor/bang to the buck for each puff. If that's the case, I don't know that switching to the shorter ones is going to help you much with quitting.

Switching to a very light cigarette might help, though. I switched to Merrit Ultra Lights before I decided to just "rip the band-aide off" and go cold turkey.

Quitting isn't fun, but you do get through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness