U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 PM

26,864 posts, read 28,137,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Although I agree that BMI is not the last word in health, people are kidding themselves dismissing it completely by bringing up athletes and bodybuilders as examples of healthy high BMIs. Fact is, over 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese and it's not because they're pumping too much iron, it's because they're eating too many fried foods.

You can't tell someone's health by looking at them because that 5'4 194lb woman might carry the weight pretty well, or she might be sporting a gut. Just because one carries it better than the other, doesn't mean she's any healthier.
But you can't determine health by weight for all we know some women can be very healthy (i.e. blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc).

But 190ish can also look very different on the same height. From this:
Browse Photos - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

Obviously, these women have wildly different levels of body fat.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 AM

2,002 posts, read 3,985,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course she knows she is over weight, but it is a cute and respectful way to say it. Let's not be so critical, if she isn't your type, fine, let it go.
Exactly. There will always be overweight and obese people around. Just move on, OP

Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
But you can't determine health by weight for all we know some women can be very healthy (i.e. blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc).

I was going to post again to say that NO WAY can a 5' 4" 190 pound woman be even remotely attractive in the slightest way. But, the second woman is actually kinda hot.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,452,026 times
None of the women in the pics look terrible but they are all overweight/obese. We're so acclimated to fat that unless you are truly huge we think it's normal. I'm about the same height, 40lbs less, and my bmi is still too high. I need to lose 10-15lb. Those women are fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,543,726 times
The issue with people is, they clearly don't like what they see. Instead of doing something about it, they sugar coat what they really are in order to make themselves feel better.

It's much easier to do that then pick up a few books about exercise, nutrition etc......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I was on a dating website and the girl responded to my question about her weight by saying: "I'm a short thick girl."

I was like "short and thick".............that's more like FAT.

What is it with people trying to sugar coat what they are? People stop lying to yourselves.

If you're fat, you're fat.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 38,798 times
OP, i am curious which 19th century dating site you are on. as far as i know, all dating sites has pics in their profile right? like me if they dont have pics i dont even bother replying to them coz OBVIOUSLY something is wrong with their appearance.

having said that, i am so disappointed with all the replies here. so what if they are fat? they're people too. anyway i am glad i have passed my VAIN phase and pay attention more to the personality. who needs a hot partner if they are just gonna cheat on you left and right anyway.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM

4,108 posts, read 4,540,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm 5'4" and if I go below 155 pounds I look sickly. SERIOUSLY.

I have a sister who is 5'3" and if she weighs over 115 she looks chubby.

We have very different bone structure and body types.

Those ridiculous insurance charts from the old days that say everybody a certain height has to be a certain weight has long since been recognized as inaccurate.

There is no "normal", there is only what is normal for every individual.

I am living proof that a 5'4" person can be over 125 and be very fit, attractive and NOT overweight.
I agree. I've been around 5'4 145-150 since high school. By the BMI and other charts determining what my weight should be for my gender and height, I'm considered overweight. But in the Army if you are considered overweight by these charts, they take your measurements for neck, wrist, waist etc. I've always passed and considered a healthy weight for my measurements by Army standards. I wear between a size 8-10 women's size so you can't just go by numbers of weight.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:22 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,798,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I was going to post again to say that NO WAY can a 5' 4" 190 pound woman be even remotely attractive in the slightest way. But, the second woman is actually kinda hot.
I took another look at the second pic while not under the influence of cabernet, and she is NOT kinda hot. She is obese, just not as gross as the others.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
thread has run its course and is now closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or