Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 AM

588 posts, read 1,432,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A person can be obese and have a 5% body fat: True or False?

5% body fat? Likely false. That's DANGEROUSLY low body fat.

I have a family member who is a touch over 6' and about 300 pounds. As a body builder, he has 8% body fat, which is also too low. While he is technically obese, he is ALL muscle. I think he is too big, but he thinks he is fine.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,345,355 times
I seriously doubt there's ANY woman who is 5.4 and 195lbs who has enough muscle to have a low enough body fat percentage to not be obese. It is obese end of story. A normal weight for that height is 125lbs give or take.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I seriously doubt there's ANY woman who is 5.4 and 195lbs who has enough muscle to have a low enough body fat percentage to not be obese. It is obese end of story. A normal weight for that height is 125lbs give or take.
I'm 5'4" and if I go below 155 pounds I look sickly. SERIOUSLY.

I have a sister who is 5'3" and if she weighs over 115 she looks chubby.

We have very different bone structure and body types.

Those ridiculous insurance charts from the old days that say everybody a certain height has to be a certain weight has long since been recognized as inaccurate.

There is no "normal", there is only what is normal for every individual.

I am living proof that a 5'4" person can be over 125 and be very fit, attractive and NOT overweight.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
5% body fat? Likely false. That's DANGEROUSLY low body fat.

I have a family member who is a touch over 6' and about 300 pounds. As a body builder, he has 8% body fat, which is also too low. While he is technically obese, he is ALL muscle. I think he is too big, but he thinks he is fine.

The lady in the original post: 5,4 195 BMI = 33.5, Obese
Man described in quote above 6, 0 300 BMI = 40.7 (8% body fat "ALL muscle"), Obese Class 3 : Morbid Obesity

So, anybody still convinced it is impossible for that lady NOT to be fat? (Unlikely yes, but it seems some posters are making assumptions.)

By the way, the guy quoted above is a BMI of over 40 is obese. (Ya, I know it is technically obese and the guy really isn't "fat"....)

Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,752,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The lady in the original post: 5,4 195 BMI = 33.5, Obese
Man described in quote above 6, 0 300 BMI = 40.7 (8% body fat "ALL muscle"), Obese Class 3 : Morbid Obesity

So, anybody still convinced it is impossible for that lady NOT to be fat? (Unlikely yes, but it seems some posters are making assumptions.)

By the way, the guy quoted above is a BMI of over 40 is obese. (Ya, I know it is technically obese and the guy really isn't "fat"....)
The lady is clearly OBESE with any frame at 5'4 and 195 and the man at 6'0 at 300 is also obese and no way weighs that and has 8% bodyfat.

Fitness models and elite bodybuilders get down to single digit fat % levels with a strict attention to diet and aerobic exercise in moderation. Anything under 5% bodyfat would be considered dangerous for sustaining for even a short amount of time except shortly before a competition. If any adult can get in the single digits for bodyfat percentage you are doing well. A man who is very fit (low bodyfat) and defined in muscle at 6' more than likely would weigh 180-220 but certainly not 300.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,835,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I was on a dating website and the girl responded to my question about her weight by saying: "I'm a short thick girl."

I was like "short and thick".............that's more like FAT.

What is it with people trying to sugar coat what they are? People stop lying to yourselves.

If you're fat, you're fat.
Here's a picture of boxer James Toney when he fought for the Cruiserwieght title. To give you an idea of what this is, Toney who is 5' 10" tall, weighed in at 200 pounds in this pic. Now, picture a WOMAN who is 6" shorter, and only 5 pounds lighter. Doesnt matter how she's put together, that is FAT.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:00 PM

588 posts, read 1,432,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
the man at 6'0 at 300 is also obese and no way weighs that and has 8% bodyfat.

in muscle at 6' more than likely would weigh 180-220 but certainly not 300.

No, he does. Truly. If I had permission to do so, I would post a photo. He looks like an anatomical model of the muscular system.

His unflexed biceps are significantly larger than my thighs, his quads look like tree trunks with huge bumps where the muscles are more defined, and his shoulders are probably about 40+" across. He is HUGE.

I wish I had permission to post a photo. Then you guys would believe it. He is massive.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 10,984,216 times
Patriot, I believe you. I make competition suits for bodybuilders and figure competitors. Muscles weighs a lot more, and yes some of those bodybuilders get down toe 5% bodyfat or less. Usually only when they are competing and then the maintain a bit higher - there are a few who like to stay as lean as they possibly can all the time. And the pro bodybuilders get massive -even the women. Here is the Ms Olympia 2006-11 winner, by no means could she possibly be considered obese/fat! although she is thick-waisted.

but there is also another category you've missed: dancers. I know a friend's son who is maybe 5'4", very low (not 5% though) bodyfat and weighs at least 195lb. not fat at all: he's solid muscle! and he's not bulky at all.

Lao's pic shows someone who is not really in good shape - not by bodybuilder standards, certainly! yes, he's obese: look at that paunch hanging over his waistband. A bodybuilder or a dancer with those stats would not look a thing like him.

Charles, that's the whole problem with BMI - it doesn't really have any meaning. If you can calculate someone as being obese when they have almost no fat on them... then the entire concept is flawed. You want a body-fat ratio to judge, not a body-mass ratio. The CDC website says this about BMI "BMI does not directly measure body fat. As a result, some people, such as athletes, may have a BMI that identifies them as overweight even though they do not have excess body fat."

Old 05-12-2012, 02:59 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I was on a dating website and the girl responded to my question about her weight by saying: "I'm a short thick girl."

I was like "short and thick".............that's more like FAT.

What is it with people trying to sugar coat what they are? People stop lying to yourselves.

If you're fat, you're fat.
of course she knows she is over weight, but it is a cute and respectful way to say it. Let's not be so critical, if she isn't your type, fine, let it go.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:43 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,758,305 times
Although I agree that BMI is not the last word in health, people are kidding themselves dismissing it completely by bringing up athletes and bodybuilders as examples of healthy high BMIs. Fact is, over 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese and it's not because they're pumping too much iron, it's because they're eating too many fried foods.

You can't tell someone's health by looking at them because that 5'4 194lb woman might carry the weight pretty well, or she might be sporting a gut. Just because one carries it better than the other, doesn't mean she's any healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness