U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM

399 posts, read 493,285 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have a question for you guys.

You're in the hospital and the nurse comes to assess you or give you meds, are you okay with him/her teaching about the meds and what she's doing at that moment? Or would you find her teaching you about your health, meds, and wellness as her coming off as a know-it-all?

What would you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,335,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinieRN View Post
Hey, I have a question for you guys.

You're in the hospital and the nurse comes to assess you or give you meds, are you okay with him/her teaching about the meds and what she's doing at that moment? Or would you find her teaching you about your health, meds, and wellness as her coming off as a know-it-all?

What would you want?
The best nurse I ever had walked into the room, introduced herself, made some pleasant small talk during her assessment, then said "I dont believe in pain, so let me know if you're having any discomfort" before she continued her rounds.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM

19,634 posts, read 53,495,108 times
That is what they are supposed to do. Doctors delegate that job to them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The best nurse I ever had walked into the room, introduced herself, made some pleasant small talk during her assessment, then said "I dont believe in pain, so let me know if you're having any discomfort" before she continued her rounds.
For clarification, you prefer that they DON'T do teaching while doing the assessment? Or would you rather it flow like a regular conversation?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
That is what they are supposed to do. Doctors delegate that job to them.

*shakes head* Not really. But I think I see what you're saying.

That being said, I know sometimes I am reluctant to do teaching while assessing a patient or while the patient is having a conversation with me about their illness because I don't want to come off "superior" or like a "know it all"? But I do want to do my job to educate the patient.

So you'd be okay with me (the nurse) teaching you as the need arises? For example you say during our conversation, "Oh I don't take my insulin because of all those bad side effects" and I say, "Side effects only happen to some people some of the time and not all people all of the time?"

I want to know this because I want to be as effective as possible.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM

27,497 posts, read 17,642,239 times
In that situation I prefer that my nurses "know it all" and share the info.

Just by you asking the question I doubt that you will come across as a "know it all" in the negative sense.

Just remember, everyone is different. 90% may appreciate and 10% may not like it. You can't please everyone.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In that situation I prefer that my nurses "know it all" and share the info.

Just by you asking the question I doubt that you will come across as a "know it all" in the negative sense.

Just remember, everyone is different. 90% may appreciate and 10% may not like it. You can't please everyone.
Thanks for this response Mikala. Very direct.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM

19,634 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Doctors neither know nor have time for the teaching. Nurses are much better st it. I used to work on a neuro-rehab unit and nurses did it all.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
This is where assessment comes in. If I am a patient, in pain from surgery or sick from chemo, the LAST thing I want is some nurse to start giving me patient education on my meds.

This is probably better done on discharge day, as meds can be adjusted during a stay...why educate on meds that may change? But in discharge planning comprensive medication reconcilliation and education is appropriate. Along with additional assessment, does paitient need medi-planner or other device.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,131,710 times
I welcome education from nurses who care for me, especially if I am starting a new medication. I probably wouldn't want much education on something I'd been taking for a long time, but it might be nice to be asked how I feel the medication is working, if I'd experienced side effects, if I had any questions about it, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness