U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 AM

233 posts, read 687,150 times

Advertisements

how can it be called "good and bad" cholesterol? your LDL "low density lipids" and your HDL "high density lipids". they are not good or bad, they have a function to preform. it is most of us do not deal with what is happening very well. listen to this.
a man has a meeting at 7 am, he sets the alarm at 6 so he can get ready, he does not hear the alarm and wakes up at 6:45. so he is racing, he argues with his wofe about her not waking him up. she yells back, the children are running around like a bunch of wild animals, and they miss their bus. they have only one car, so he has to take his wife, to work, his chidlren to school, and be in a metting within the next 10 mins. the chidlren are making noise, in the back. and the wife is still yelling and to top it off he gets in a traffic jam.
(i know this is extreme) his body is releasing LDL's into his blood with adrenaline for 'fight or flight' he will not hit his wife, she will sue him, and he can not run, he will cause a bigger jam. so he holds it in. your LDL should be about 130 so your cholestrol with adrenaline goes to his legs. your HDL"s should be no higher than 35, they are designed to (after the body has burned the LDL's and cholesterol off) what is left over back to the liver. your HDL's can only carry so much, being he has not done anything, the cholesterols sit in his arteries and veins. which leads to myocardial infarction and stroke and all those other nasties... so again, why call them good or bad cholestrol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM

746 posts, read 3,115,902 times
Cholesterol is a complicated subject, and it seems the opinions about it have changed a lot over the past few years. I am now eating eggs and buuter again, after years of being led to believe they were bad for me.

However, I am eating free range eggs which have a more natural balance of 1:1 of Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils, while battery cage raised eggs have a 1:6 ration, with the bad fats predominating. You can tell whether the egg you are eating is really the kind you want....the shells on farm raised eggs are much harder to crack, while the industrial eggs are very thin.

Here is one of my favorite sources for nutrition information:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html (broken link)

Old 09-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Cholesterol is a complicated subject, and it seems the opinions about it have changed a lot over the past few years. I am now eating eggs and buuter again, after years of being led to believe they were bad for me.

However, I am eating free range eggs which have a more natural balance of 1:1 of Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils, while battery cage raised eggs have a 1:6 ration, with the bad fats predominating. You can tell whether the egg you are eating is really the kind you want....the shells on farm raised eggs are much harder to crack, while the industrial eggs are very thin.

Fats & Cholesterol: Nutrition Source, Harvard School of Public Health (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html - broken link)
i have been working on my doctrate i receive it next year. if you are looking to getting your omega 3, try a tbs of flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. it has about 7384 mg of omega 3 without the cholesterol. eggs free range or not increase your cholesterol by 214 points. i do not eat either eggs or butter. and it would be wise to stop again and never come back to it. flaxseed even beat salmon in omega 3, but, in salmon the ratio of omega 3, 6, and 9. in eggs, salmon and other meat sources 9 and 6 out range 3: 8 to 1. instead of getting your information from one source, and this is what i do cross reference between a few places, books, and doctors. just some advice.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM

3,574 posts, read 12,841,699 times
......... your LDL should be about 130 so your cholestrol with adrenaline goes to his legs. your HDL"s should be no higher than 35, they are designed to (after the body has burned the LDL's and cholesterol off) what is left over back to the liver.

I believe you are mistaken. LDL should be ~70 and HDL minimum ~55 in men, 45 in women or higher, with a total cholesterol of less than 200. In order to make an appreciable difference in cholesterol reduction, along with weight loss, exercise, and diet changes, a person has to take a large amount of fish oil capsules in addition to eating foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. For some people, this lifestyle change does not make a difference or is not possible, either due to genetics or motivation. HDL cholesterol will actually remove some of the LDL/VLDL, but not as much as lifestyle improvement will.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Status: "No, I do not think I have all the answers..." (set 14 hours ago)

9,754 posts, read 21,607,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post

Fats & Cholesterol: Nutrition Source, Harvard School of Public Health (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html - broken link)
If you get your nutrition information from a doctor that teaches western medicine, they get their information from special interest groups like the Dairy industry, meat industry,etc. It's totally biased on their part as they are all benefitting financially each time someone adopts that way of eating. So good luck with that.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM

746 posts, read 3,115,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
i have been working on my doctrate i receive it next year. instead of getting your information from one source, and this is what i do cross reference between a few places, books, and doctors. just some advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If you get your nutrition information from a doctor that teaches western medicine, they get their information from special interest groups like the Dairy industry, meat industry,etc. It's totally biased on their part as they are all benefitting financially each time someone adopts that way of eating. So good luck with that.
You may notice the source I linked to was the Harvard School of Nutrition and Dr Walter Willett, who is not at all connected with agribusiness. My other sources are the latest books on the subject, ranging from the South beach Heart Book, to Real Food, to Omnivore's Dilemma and my BIL is a futurist who specializes in the treatment of diabetes, and shares the latest information in the field with me on a regular basis.

I do not claim to be an expert, but am no babe in the woods either.

Even those in school are only getting information that is as up to date as their teachers, and some standard courses are still in the nutritional dark ages.

I am quite sure you are unaware of the significance of this study, which puts quite a different light on conventional wisdon:

How Omega-6s Usurped Omega-3s In US Diet

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited by litlux; 09-20-2007 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
......... your LDL should be about 130 so your cholestrol with adrenaline goes to his legs. your HDL"s should be no higher than 35, they are designed to (after the body has burned the LDL's and cholesterol off) what is left over back to the liver.

I believe you are mistaken. LDL should be ~70 and HDL minimum ~55 in men, 45 in women or higher, with a total cholesterol of less than 200. In order to make an appreciable difference in cholesterol reduction, along with weight loss, exercise, and diet changes, a person has to take a large amount of fish oil capsules in addition to eating foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. For some people, this lifestyle change does not make a difference or is not possible, either due to genetics or motivation. HDL cholesterol will actually remove some of the LDL/VLDL, but not as much as lifestyle improvement will.
what i said about how much came from more than one source, and i researched for myself. your total cholesterol... 200 is too high. your total cholesterol count show be no higher than x4 of your HDL's if you want the information i think i can find it. once again i am working on my doctrate, i know what i am saying.
however i think it could be on the same lines as people saying chocolate is good for you. and it is not. you know what i am saying?
with omega 3, like i said before, you get more of it with flaxseed, than fish. 1 tbs of flaxseeds has 3+ the amount of omega 3, than 2 lbs of salmon.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM

77 posts, read 250,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
what i said about how much came from more than one source, and i researched for myself. your total cholesterol... 200 is too high. your total cholesterol count show be no higher than x4 of your HDL's if you want the information i think i can find it. once again i am working on my doctrate, i know what i am saying.
however i think it could be on the same lines as people saying chocolate is good for you. and it is not. you know what i am saying?
with omega 3, like i said before, you get more of it with flaxseed, than fish. 1 tbs of flaxseeds has 3+ the amount of omega 3, than 2 lbs of salmon.
I would suggest you study just a wee bit more, perhaps you will learn something

Old 09-21-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinak View Post
I would suggest you study just a wee bit more, perhaps you will learn something
are you implying i have learned very little or not enough?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 PM

77 posts, read 250,687 times
I guess you will have to answer that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness