U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times
Reputation: 8956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
She drank black espresso throughout the day (not sure how many cups). I remember her using an old aluminum coffee pot on the stove top. I have always used a coffee press, but I know they tend to leave more oil in the coffee which is not as healthy. I have been thinking about converting to the Italian style pot. But I'm not sure if they would filter out any more of the oil?

Also, my grandmother usually had a shot of sambuca with her espresso after dinner...LOL. She would have a glass of red wine with dinner and then espresso with sambuca after. I think she may have done this daily as she believed it was very healthy for the system... So maybe the sambuca is the real health secret!
I had never heard of sambuca - had to look it up. I bet it had mad health benefits! I think it is smart to listen to those who pass down traditions that are actually healthy and useful . . . thank you for sharing these tidbits. What part of Italy is your family from? Mine is Northern (Lucca).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Reputation: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I had never heard of sambuca - had to look it up. I bet it had mad health benefits! I think it is smart to listen to those who pass down traditions that are actually healthy and useful . . . thank you for sharing these tidbits. What part of Italy is your family from? Mine is Northern (Lucca).
I just told my hubby we should add an after dinner espresso w/sambuca shot to our diet. He was all for it! I also noticed my Italian family only drank with meals and I never saw them drunk.

I love northern Italy... Your family is from such a beautiful area. My grandmother was from the south - She was Sicilian (lived in Messina and Palerma). My grandfather was from Sardinia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,219 posts, read 7,398,023 times
Reputation: 17847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Coffee - Health Benefits of Coffee – Coffee As A Super Health and Anti Aging Food

Coffee – An Overlooked Health and Anti Aging Food

In the past, coffee (like wine) has been overlooked as a healthy food.

Why Coffee Is A Superfood?

It looks like coffee has two main ways of improving the health of your body: antioxidants and caffeine. Both these substances have health and anti aging benefits. Antioxidants, for example, help your body repair damage to cells caused by free radicals (which are produced as a byproduct of cells just doing their daily thing). Caffeine has been shown to help improve a range of symptoms and may even be important in fighting of Parkinson’s Disease and other age-related brain problems. Coffee is loaded with both antioxidants and caffeine, and each has different potential benefits for improving health and reducing the risk of chronic illnesses.

Below are some of the major findings about health, life expectancy and coffee.

Heart Disease (up to 25% reduction in mortality risk (for women))
Diabetes (up to 60% reduced risk)
Dementia (up to 65% reduced risk)
Colon Cancer (up to 25% reduced risk)
Cirrhosis (up to 80% reduced risk)
Gallstones (almost 50% reduced risk)
Parkinson’s Disease (up to 80% reduced risk – probably because of caffeine)
Headache Relief (because of the caffeine)
Asthma Relief (caffeine again)
Cavity Protection (because of anti-bacterial and anti-adhesive properties of compounds within coffee)
This study brought to you courtesy of the International Coffee Growers and Juan Valdez. Thank you for your kind attention.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Reputation: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
This study brought to you courtesy of the International Coffee Growers and Juan Valdez. Thank you for your kind attention.
Yes, I saw that and my SO also immediately brought it to my attention. Just as the pharma companies run the clinical drug trials, though I guess the coffee corp.'s don't have the FDA so extensively involved. Other parties (NIH, AARP, university research dept.'s, etc.) have also produced studies extolling the health benefits of coffee. But I have not followed the money on each study...

But this thread is about what I think my health secrets are. Regardless of coffee studies (never really looked at them before), I think coffee is beneficial for me based on 1) My personal excellent health history as a heavy coffee drinker and 2) The health and longevity of my family members who were also heavy espresso drinkers. I look to my family with multiple, heavy coffee drinking centenarians and have a hard time believing that coffee is bad for me.

Here's the link to Vanderbilt's Institute of Coffee Studies (from the 1 study I referenced) which discloses their sponsorship from coffee growers.

http://longevity.about.com/gi/o.htm?...Research.shtml

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-28-2012 at 08:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Reputation: 6347
One of the longest-living men (died at 113), John McMorran, said his secret to a long-life was coffee. I doubt he was paid off by the coffee growers...

McMorran offered a unique formula for his longevity: “I drink a cup of coffee before every meal -- and stay away from cheap whisky.”

Read more:

Centenarian Health Secrets - AskMen

Centenarian Health Secrets - Health Secrets of a Centenarian - Live a Long & Healthy Life | Tips on - Find Tips

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-28-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,219 posts, read 7,398,023 times
Reputation: 17847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Coffee - Health Benefits of Coffee – Coffee As A Super Health and Anti Aging Food

Coffee – An Overlooked Health and Anti Aging Food

In the past, coffee (like wine) has been overlooked as a healthy food.

Why Coffee Is A Superfood?

It looks like coffee has two main ways of improving the health of your body: antioxidants and caffeine. Both these substances have health and anti aging benefits. Antioxidants, for example, help your body repair damage to cells caused by free radicals (which are produced as a byproduct of cells just doing their daily thing). Caffeine has been shown to help improve a range of symptoms and may even be important in fighting of Parkinson’s Disease and other age-related brain problems. Coffee is loaded with both antioxidants and caffeine, and each has different potential benefits for improving health and reducing the risk of chronic illnesses.

Below are some of the major findings about health, life expectancy and coffee.

Heart Disease (up to 25% reduction in mortality risk (for women))
Diabetes (up to 60% reduced risk)
Dementia (up to 65% reduced risk)
Colon Cancer (up to 25% reduced risk)
Cirrhosis (up to 80% reduced risk)
Gallstones (almost 50% reduced risk)
Parkinson’s Disease (up to 80% reduced risk – probably because of caffeine)
Headache Relief (because of the caffeine)
Asthma Relief (caffeine again)
Cavity Protection (because of anti-bacterial and anti-adhesive properties of compounds within coffee)
It stands to reason that your relative(s) who have lived long lives have done so not solely because they drank coffee but because they drank it in conjunction with a moderate life-style. Dietary, activity levels and genes all play a part in determining how long we live, and in what QOL. Which is true only if we manage to avoid getting hit by a bus.

When I worked, I was famous for drinking six to eight cups of coffee a day. Even after retirement, I stuck to my coffee regimen.

But I started drinking coffee at age 12 and it didn't afford me any protection from cavities. None. Zip. Zilch.

I had emergency surgery for gall stones. Despite my coffee intake.

I had a big azz tumor removed from my ascending colon. Yep. Cancer.

It is generally agreed that headaches can sometimes be relieved with caffeine. But one can get caffeine in tea, colas, chocolate and specific headache medications. And some asthma sufferers report relief from coffee but that could also be coincidental with a hot beverage which can
open up the mucosa.

Years ago, a "study" was released that said coffee was not good for you and urged people to abstain or to drink no more than a cup a day. The pendulum has swung and someone else has created a new statistic.

We are all going to leave this planet one day. Whether sooner or later can be determined by many factors - remember the bus? - but touting one element can be misleading.

You say you've been using a press but now are concerned that you might be getting too much of the oil from the bean with your method. And what of the water you're using for your brew? And do you drink it black? Sweetened? Creamed? Is it possible that all of these factors could come into play? Might it be that you would live even longer if you altered any one or all of these factors?

Congratulations on the health and longevity of your ancestors. That bodes well for you, but don't rely on "studies" to extend your life.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top