U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,142,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I had a horrible pain under my breast bone that turned out to be gallstones. It was probably the worst pain I have ever had - broke out in a sweat, lasted about 10 or 15 minutes. Just a thought to have that checked out.
That pain can be severe, and it is often mistaken for a heart attack. Both of my parents had gallstone attacks like yours, and each went to the ER to rule out a heart attack.

In the ends, they both had the gallbladders out.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,731,658 times
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had this problem twice. The first time was reflux and I went through all the usual motions of treating that, well sorta. I did not take the meds, but changed my diet, but either way it worked out.

The 2nd time, I knew it was not reflux. I kept reading if the pain persists more then several hours it probably is not a heart attack but I had all the symptoms. I went to the hospital had all the test, came back clear. My DR then probed me and asked me about physical activity. One thing that got his attention was my cardio. He suggested I may have pulled the muscles under my ribs, this can happen when people do heavy cardio. He stated that many times it feels like it could be a heart attack due to it affecting the same area and nerves. Suggested some rest and lay off the cardio and told me to take a anti inflamatory. Sure enough in a week it all cleared up.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 3,903 times
hey

Last edited by giurll; 01-05-2017 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: unneeded

Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I had severe chest pains and thought I was having a heart attack, too. It was so bad I took myself to the ER. They did all the tests, etc, nothing wrong with my heart. But the cardio doc referred me to a GI--gasteroenterologist (sp). He did a scope, found my esophageous (sp) was severely erroded. He put me on some meds, including Prevacid, for about 6 months, then did another scope, found I had "healed". Now I take ocassional Prevacid if I feel any chest pains, but otherwise have not had any problems since. Prevacid is now OTC, its cheapest at Costco.

My advice, since you've already had your heart checked out, just try Prevacid for about a month. GI doctors, tests, scopes, etc are expensive, even with insurance. If Prevacid helps, that's your problem!

They told me heart attacks and GI attacks feel the same because they affect the same nerve pathways.

Good Luck!

Oh, also, Prevacid "therapy"---take 2x day EVERY day for at least a month, not just when you feel pains.
I had a similar situation. Yes Prevacid or something similar in gerneral brands can do wonders. BTW I didn't notice how old this thread is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness